The Student Room Group

RAF Reg Officer

HI all,

I recently went to the OASC with intensions of applying for pilot, long story short I didn’t get the offers I wanted So I’ve now got to wait a very long year before I can start the application all over again.

In 12months time I’m thinking of applying as a regiment officer as I think I would be a better reg officer than pilot, but as I’m only 18 (will be 19 when starting the app stages again) I do realize that it will be very hard to impress the guys at Cranwell.

So what can I be doing in the coming 12 months that will really make me a more attractive candidate?

I can already run 1.5 miles in sub 9 mins, do I need to go on leadership courses, climb Everest?

Any help really appreciated,
Reply 1
Yes to the leadership - captain of a football team as a suggestion (insert sport/activity). Anything where you've got to work to gain the respect of others.

Climb everest? it wouldn't hurt!

IMHO Regiment officers need to have maturity. You're going to be in command of men who've been in many years with a lot of experience, some of whom will be twice as old as you are and potentially asking them to risk their lives. If you haven't already I would recommend you get a job, some real world (outside of education) experience will be extremely useful.

Someone might mention the fact that you're young for a regiment applicant. It's not unknown to have young regiment officers but it isn't common.

The cavalry will be along soon I'm sure, expect to be asked why you're not going to uni :wink:
Why didn't you make pilot? Aptitude? Leadership? Interview?
Reply 3
Lady Venom
Why didn't you make pilot? Aptitude? Leadership? Interview?

I diddnt pass my medical :frown:

Eye sight wasnt good enough.
Reply 4
You amy think that it will be a very long year before you can got to OASC again but in actual fact it is not. i had to wait a year before reapplying and the time flew by!

I did not do anything spectacular in that year apart from some temping jobs that gave me a very good feel of the public and private sectors (and bolstered my reason for pursuing a career in the Forces). I also transferred from a University Officer Training Corps to my local TA Infantry Regiment to get some good experience and training. I also continued my association with my old ATC Squadron where i helped instruct in some subjects that were lacking in the sqn's training programme.

One thing i would say is that do as much research as possible about the RAF Regt before putting it down as one of your choices...as several people get to JROC and quickly realise that Regt is not the career for them. This is why i would suggest getting involved in the TA / RAF Auxilaries if you have no previous military type experience as you will soon learn whether you enjoy the outdoors life ;-D
Reply 5
get your fitness up to a high standard, an AFCO or careers advisors or the internet will be able to give you the RAF training programme, training will be much easier if you're fitter. If you're involved with cadets, make the most of that, if not there are several options
several units, marines and paras offer FREE taster courses, go on them, theyre fun and good experience.
a real job and responsibility will help you mature.
Be careful if you join the TA, to make sure that you're not committed to them and unable to join the regulars.
Reply 6
mistrydude

Be careful if you join the TA, to make sure that you're not committed to them and unable to join the regulars.

The TA doesn't work like that, you can leave at any time unless you get compulsory mobilisation. Certainly they wouldn't care if you were leaving to join the regular Army.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the help, really greatfull!
Ocj0 - your OP in this thread was a bit cryptic - not getting the offer you wanted - you mean you were knocked back, or didn't have pilot aptitude - what did they tell you?
I only ask this because the RAF Regt look for certain aspects that are distinctly different from Pilot - so I don't want to tell you it will all be great if you are ignoring a big steer from OASC last time.
The RAF Regt want fitter and confident men who can hack the JROC and come out the other end able to lead - from the front, whilst under fire, carrying a load, on foot. I may or may not agree with their selection or methods, but that is what they want. Whatever you do, seek out responsibility before going back to OASC.
Reply 9
ProStacker
Ocj0 - your OP in this thread was a bit cryptic - not getting the offer you wanted - you mean you were knocked back, or didn't have pilot aptitude - what did they tell you?

Ocj0
I diddnt pass my medical :frown:

Eye sight wasnt good enough.

:wink:
Reply 10
Yeah I found out I was short sighted in my left eye, so I decided to go home and reconsider my options, and here I am :smile:
0cj0
Yeah I found out I was short sighted in my left eye, so I decided to go home and reconsider my options, and here I am :smile:

Did they not give you a second choice? I thought if you are not fit for one branch they discuss the other options you have. Or things have changed?
Reply 12
newboyintown
Did they not give you a second choice? I thought if you are not fit for one branch they discuss the other options you have. Or things have changed?

They've changed. :wink:

You can't add choices at OASC anymore, you can remove ones, but not add.
Tomm_UK
They've changed. :wink:

You can't add choices at OASC anymore, you can remove ones, but not add.

Well I had made my 5 choices in the green form. So hopefully I won't have to regret the choices I made.

Let's say I pass the test for all the choices I have made, do you have a final say? Or they will tell you depending on which branch they are recruiting most at that time.

ATC/FCO's are in Most Wanted Catagory just now according to the site and I have both of them as my choice as you already know Tomm_UK
Reply 14
newboyintown
ATC/FCO's are in Most Wanted Catagory just now

Forgot about that. Have you got a sponsor yet? If not, I'll sponsor you.
Reply 15
newboyintown

Let's say I pass the test for all the choices I have made, do you have a final say? Or they will tell you depending on which branch they are recruiting most at that time.

If you pass for all of them, after OASC they will try and give you a job based on the order of your choices. If, for some reason, they can't give you your first one, they will give you your second.
Wzz
Forgot about that. Have you got a sponsor yet? If not, I'll sponsor you.

Me being ignorant again, Sponsor for? :confused:

Latest