The Student Room Group

help on us unis

hi i am current engineering student in the uk an am interested in spending a year abroad in usa however i do not know anything about us unis except only heard of mit , Harvard, princeton and yale however these are not the unis my uni has contacts with so could you guys please shed some light on these unis listed below:

Caltech

Columbia University

Georgia Institute of Technology

Purdue University

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Stevens Institute of Technology
Reply 1
Caltech is extremely good, especially so for engineering.
Columbia is also a fantastic uni, but not really sure how it ranks for engineering.
But i think either of those two would be good news for employment after graduation.
the first four universities are excellent for engineering.iam not sure about the last two.Caltech is ranked number 4th in US and Purdue is ranked 9th.
Reply 3
what kind of engineering are you interested in? there's a different ranking for each one.

aerospace
2 georgia tech
4 purdue
5 caltech

biomedical
3 georgia tech

chemical
6 caltech

civil
5 georgia tech
7 purdue

computer
6 georgia tech
8 caltech

electrical
5 georgia tech
7 caltech
9 purdue
of those, columbia has the best all-round reputation. however its engineering school is really not that great, so if you're serious about engineering i'd pick one of the other schools. also take into account location etc.. depends on your priorities
Reply 5
thanks for the help and by the way i am interested in mechanical engineering
Reply 6
Mechanical Engineering - Undergraduate Rankings 09
1 MIT
2 Michigan
3 UC Berkeley
4 Georgia Tech
5 Stanford
6 Illinois
7 Purdue
8 Cornell
9 Caltech
10 UT Austin
Reply 7
having said that, caltech is well located (sunny CA)
Reply 8
hello ... i wish to apply for a msc in biomedical engineering in the uk .. which are the best universities for this course .. also how difficult is it to get into oxford .. how popular is this course and also wat are the job oppurtunities after doing it ? also if someone could guide me as to whether an msc degree is equivalent to a us mse degree ?
Reply 9
I wouldn't discount Columbia SEAS so quickly. It has become a very good engineering school. In general, its campus is very nice. It's a little bit small, but that makes traveling to classes easier. This would probably be the easiest for traveling since it's located in New York City.

Purdue and Georgia Tech are both public universities, so they have much larger student populations and have higher in-state populations (from Indiana and Georgia, respectively).

You may want to look at the websites for these schools to get a better picture of them.