The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Anyone at Winchester School of Art?

Scroll to see replies

DTR
Possibly, what do you mean by sterile? I wasn't really sure what to expect as haven't had the chance to look around any others. Where's the best studios you've seen?

It was probably just because it was quiet, being a Wednesday afternoon at the time. I dunno, the place just didn't give me the same vibe as other places I've seen.
I was really impressed by Plymouth and Swansea's modern facilities, while Falmouth's just a lovely place, although the Woodlane Campus is quite dated.
Bournemouth seemed to have good facilities too, but I felt the campus was a bit too separate from the town for my liking. Then again maybe I'm just bitter since they rejected me!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
DTR
haha guess what, i've been accepted :biggrin:

still want to apply to LCF aswell though.

Oh Congrats in that case!!!!

In other news, I just opened up my lovely Central Saint Martins rejection letter about an hour ago.
Haven't yet decided if I want to cry, scream or kill someone. Perhaps all three.
Hi- I run the Students' Union @ Winchester School Of Art- I thought it might be helpful if you were still looking there that i could answer some of your questions?
It is a quiet city, the art school isn't out in the outskirts (the outskirts are fields!) the campus is very central, 3 mins to town, 10 mins to halls, 5 mins from the station. Its a lovely place with a really chilled creative atmosphere. Night life wise there are a few key places, The Railway Inn and the SU are great Live Music Venues, then there's a couple of clubs in the centre and Southampton City Centre is just 15mins away by train. There is also a free bus service for WSA students to the Highfield Campus of the Uni including a nightbus. It really depends if you think a small campus environment is for you- or you want to be part of a larger university. I've been here 4 years now and I'm staying another year- recommended!
Oh yaay, finally we have someone with actual experience of WSA now to tell us what it's like :smile:
WSA was a close 2nd choice for me, but I chose Chelsea in the end. I did seem like a great place though!
What did the rest of you choose?
Reply 24
Yep I have accepted my place at WSA, can't wait to start now!
Mr/Miss president: can you tell us about halls at all? I mean how they decide where to put people or is it all just random. I'm 25 and don't want to be put with all the oldies if there are any haha.
Also what happens during freshers week? Is freshers week a week before classes actually start? Thanks :smile:
DTR
Mr/Miss president: can you tell us about halls at all? I mean how they decide where to put people or is it all just random. I'm 25 and don't want to be put with all the oldies if there are any haha.
Also what happens during freshers week? Is freshers week a week before classes actually start? Thanks :smile:

Kaplan is so **** they don't even have freshers week. But then again it's probably better that way :biggrin:
Reply 26
Syafiquaaa
Kaplan is so **** they don't even have freshers week. But then again it's probably better that way :biggrin:

Yeah cos it's not a uni. Why is it better that way?
DTR
Yeah cos it's not a uni. Why is it better that way?

So that the chances of 60 year old pedophiles hitting on me is minimised.
Reply 28
Syafiquaaa
So that the chances of 60 year old pedophiles hitting on me is minimised.

Yeah even if they do you can always say no...oh wait..
DTR
Yeah even if they do you can always say no...oh wait..

I can say nooo. You're so mean to me :frown: Have no faith in me at all :'( So badd
hey i'm going to wsa in october, accepted unconditional offer to graphic arts - mainly want to focus on photography and graphic design but just gonna see how it goes when i get there!
Really liked the studios, and their darkroom seems adequate. I like that its a picturesque place - any uni you go to will have student life, and southamptons really close for clubbing, plus theres the union and the railway inn which aparently have alot of live music.... it's nice to see people talking about it there's not very much on here about wsa!
DTR

In reply to DTR: The Erasmus Halls are an approximate 10 minute walk from WSA. As far as I know when you fill out your application for accommodation (if you haven't done it already) they will ask you questions like whether you smoke or not, if you have a preference to live in same sex houses or mixed and apart from that i think it's random. They seem to have a penchant for putting post grads together and international students together. With reagrds to Freshers Week, Move-In Weekend is the 26th/ 27th Sept (i think) and Freshers Fortnight begins then. You will start classes at the beginning of the second week of Freshers Fortnight on the 5th October. During Freshers Fortnight at WSA SU we run a huge variety of events including Live Music, Clubnights, Comedy, BBQ's, Quizzes, Pub Crawls, Visits to Highfield Campus (to join societies etc) and of course a Freshers Ball at the end of the Fortnight. It's a great time to meet people and get to know the area, university and students' union. There are lots of opportunities to get involved with extra curricular activities at WSA and Highfield.
Hope that's helpful!

Cassi White
Miss President!!
Reply 32
Hi guys!!!!!!!!! OMG I found people who are going to go to WSA too, yay! I'm doing fine art by the way
Hi everyone xD i had to bring this thread back from the dead haha xD basically it was really interesting to read this thread cuz im thinking about applying at WSA for graphic arts next year and im going to an open day tomorrow...so any of you who go there now and WSA President xD have any of your impressions about it changed? what are the open days actually like? i guess i'll find out tomorrow...but im nervous about it cuz im immensely shy and dont generally ask loads of questions...thanks! xD
Reply 34
I used to work at WSA and couldn't really recommend it as a place to go for your first degree. Try Bournemouth or Brighton where the emphasis is on design and technology with a more creative and lively atmosphere. Facilities are just about adequate. No studio space, lack of tutors who keep vanishing mysteriously, courses that are continually changed or reviewed. The graphics course seems to be cobbled together. The fine arts have deteriorated and will probably vanish in the next few years. The emphasis seems to be on getting students through the doors and the small city, being one of the most expensive places in the country to live, doesn't offer much to a someone on a student's budget.
Thats just my opinion! xD
bonafido
I used to work at WSA and couldn't really recommend it as a place to go for your first degree. Try Bournemouth or Brighton where the emphasis is on design and technology with a more creative and lively atmosphere. Facilities are just about adequate. No studio space, lack of tutors who keep vanishing mysteriously, courses that are continually changed or reviewed. The graphics course seems to be cobbled together. The fine arts have deteriorated and will probably vanish in the next few years. The emphasis seems to be on getting students through the doors and the small city, being one of the most expensive places in the country to live, doesn't offer much to a someone on a student's budget.
Thats just my opinion! xD

Thanks for replying =) is there anything else you could please tell me about the graphic arts course specifically? or the quality of it as well xD i went to the open day and i really liked it, especially location...but then i dont know what prices are like so thanks for enlightening me! :biggrin:
Reply 36
I'm from Winchester, not going to WSA but I know the town well.

My girlfriend has applied for something graphicsy that I can't remember the exact name of. She loved it at the open day.

My only thought is that accommodation probably will be a pain in the arse once you're out of halls. I know lots of people at Winchester university, and they all seem to live up in stanmore, which is a massive quest away from WSA. There may be houses available in the Winnall area, which is nearer WSA, but I don't know.

Winnall has the advantage of a big 24hr tesco, which I'd peg at about a 5-10 minute walk from the halls. Shuts at 10 on a Saturday, mind you.

Winchester is a cool little place, and the Railway as mentioned is it's highlight. Beware that's a bit of a hike from WSA though, as it is the other end of the town. Walking estimates provided in this thread are a bit dodgy, 5 minutes from WSA to the station is nonsense, it's easily 10 or more, closer to 20 from the halls. The Railway is just behind the station, for reference.

Nightlife is okay I guess. Two clubs in town, The Porthouse and Bar3one, neither are my sort of thing so I can't attest to the quality of either. There's a wetherspoons which is big and cheap. The Railer isn't bad costwise (£2.20 for a double scotch). There are lots of cool pubs in town too like The Eclipse, expensive but lush, the Royal Oak etc..

Parties on top of St. Catherines Hill used to be a blast but they get plodded pretty quickly nowadays.

Getting work is pretty much a nightmare. It's not a big enough town for there to be lots of places to go.

Good tattooist in Stanmore if that's of any interest. And it's a pretty historically interesting town with stuff like the Cathedral, and the Eclipse as mentioned before.

Any other questions let me know!

Oh and WSA backs onto the River Park leisure centre, which has a skatepark, basketball courts, swimming pools and a really decent gym with a good weights bit. It's actually a gorgeous location, as said, right on the river, properly pretty etc.
TTRMW
I'm from Winchester, not going to WSA but I know the town well.

My girlfriend has applied for something graphicsy that I can't remember the exact name of. She loved it at the open day.

My only thought is that accommodation probably will be a pain in the arse once you're out of halls. I know lots of people at Winchester university, and they all seem to live up in stanmore, which is a massive quest away from WSA. There may be houses available in the Winnall area, which is nearer WSA, but I don't know.

Winnall has the advantage of a big 24hr tesco, which I'd peg at about a 5-10 minute walk from the halls. Shuts at 10 on a Saturday, mind you.

Winchester is a cool little place, and the Railway as mentioned is it's highlight. Beware that's a bit of a hike from WSA though, as it is the other end of the town. Walking estimates provided in this thread are a bit dodgy, 5 minutes from WSA to the station is nonsense, it's easily 10 or more, closer to 20 from the halls. The Railway is just behind the station, for reference.

Nightlife is okay I guess. Two clubs in town, The Porthouse and Bar3one, neither are my sort of thing so I can't attest to the quality of either. There's a wetherspoons which is big and cheap. The Railer isn't bad costwise (£2.20 for a double scotch). There are lots of cool pubs in town too like The Eclipse, expensive but lush, the Royal Oak etc..

Parties on top of St. Catherines Hill used to be a blast but they get plodded pretty quickly nowadays.

Getting work is pretty much a nightmare. It's not a big enough town for there to be lots of places to go.

Good tattooist in Stanmore if that's of any interest. And it's a pretty historically interesting town with stuff like the Cathedral, and the Eclipse as mentioned before.

Any other questions let me know!

Oh and WSA backs onto the River Park leisure centre, which has a skatepark, basketball courts, swimming pools and a really decent gym with a good weights bit. It's actually a gorgeous location, as said, right on the river, properly pretty etc.

Wow thankyou! Thats really helpful cuz you live there and know what its like =D lol thanks a lot! Yeah a few people on the open day did say something about how there arent many cheapish places to stay after halls, but apparently its possible to stay in halls in your 2nd and 3rd year =)
Reply 38
Hi I'm wondering if anybody has been accepted on to WSA Fine arts course straight from A-Level???

Wouldn't mind finding a few other people to talk to :smile: x
Fono
Hi I'm wondering if anybody has been accepted on to WSA Fine arts course straight from A-Level???

Wouldn't mind finding a few other people to talk to :smile: x

hey im going to WSA this year :smile: but im doing fashion and textile design....
:smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending