The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Concept place. No parkin though (unless they are getting it this year but I don't thi kthey are), close to uni, close to town, double bed and en-suite. It's not THAT lively though I have to say... Somewhere on campus maybe? Not sure which ones if any are en-suite but apparently the bathrooms are really well maintained and always empty is what all my friends who live on campus always say. Also think about whether you want to be catered or self catered. If you look on the accom part of the leeds website it says about al the rooms and gives pics so you could make a choice like that. Also gives a map of where places are and talks about parking space
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
kookoo_koochoo
Concept place............

Ahhh you're from Grimsby all you lot steal our (not so appealing) beach!! ....... Cleethorpes here :yep:

Anyyyyyyyyyyyyywayy... :biggrin:

I'm not going to go into any details (check my guide in my sig if you want to know more about the place) but Henry Price ticks most of those boxes.

I have a car and from what other people have said, it's handy (ofcourse not a necessity) to have and it's easy to make a bit of petrol money by giving people lifts to night out or whatever, so a parking space is needed.

Some parking spaces are available (When I was there the other year there was only 5 or so cars parked there at the most, there looks to be room for 25+). In all honesty I would advise you to not bother bringing a car as the public transport in Leeds to and from the Uni is pretty good... but that's my own personal opinion :p:

For me personally, my own bathroom is a necessity, just a toilet and a shower!

As with most Accom. there are some ensuite rooms available. Even if you didn't get one, you would only be sharing with one other person. The showers are in between rooms (i.e. theres one room, a shower and another room next to it, you would share with your 'neighbour').

I've heard there's lots of different types of people who go for certain buildings. For example, from first impression, Devonshire Hall sounds absolutely *****. Generally though, is everyone up for going out lots? I'd love to be a in a lively place.

One of the more popular questions on here which I'll always give the same response too...:p: It almost entirely depends on the people you would end up living with. You can live in the most (speaking generally) 'sociable' place and live with hermits. Saying that, Henry Price isn't one of those which is normally described as the 'most sociable' but I had no problems.

Even though i'd have a car, accommodation close to the centre/uni itself would be even better (mainly for crawling back after a night out).

It's the only self catered accom. on campus. You're about 3 minutes away from the Union and a 15 minutes(ish) walk into the city centre depending on your walking speed :wink:

I'd be doing geography if that makes any difference.

The Geography department is literally a minutes walk away :p: You may find you have some lectures in other buildings around campus, most of them you can walk to in 6 or 7 minutes.

Hope that helps a little :smile:
Reply 3
i'm interested in finding out about Leeds accommodation too.. :smile:
I'd think twice about bringing your car here, they become a burden in Leeds. You can apply to have a permit in some of the residences but you can't park on campus so can't use it to drive to uni. Parking in the city centre is limited and you have to pay (like any city I suppose).

You'd have to think carefully about what you are actually going to use your car for. Don't hold out for the making petrol money idea because if you live on campus or in the city centre nobody's going to pay you to drive them somewhere they can walk to in 5-10 minutes, and if you live in one of the further away ones most people will have a bus pass which they've already paid for so won't be too enamoured with the prospect of paying you to drive them when they can get a free bus ride if they wait the 6 minutes or so till the next bus turns up.

There's one thing that a car is useful for and thats if you want to drive to the out of town 24 hr Tescos in Pudsey to do your shopping late at night when its quiet. Even that is not really necessary but its something you might find you do if you have a car to justify it.

Most of the people I knew at uni who had a car in halls was because they had a girlfriend/boyfriend that they went to visit every couple of weeks or so, in another city, and wanted to use their car for it. Its useful for that more than getting around Leeds when the parking situation makes it inconvenient.
(edited 3 years ago)
TheWizard
Ahhh you're from Grimsby all you lot steal our (not so appealing) beach!! ....... Cleethorpes here :yep:

Hehe I've not been this year, I'm going to take my dog and make sure she defecates all over it this christmas. Not really, cos that's illegal.
I was in James Baillie in my first year (I'm now in third year). It has a really large car park, but I can't remember how much the permit was. The accomodation is close to Devonshire, although it's much more modern and much less Oxbridge-like. Almost all of the rooms are ensuite. I know a lot of people think that being really close to campus is a good thing, but I really don't agree. It's nice to be able to escape academic life when you go home at night. I wouldn't want to live in the grounds of a comprehensive school for the same reason. James Baillie is right between campus and Headingley (where I spent more of my time), and is set in lovely grounds. It doesn't have a bar, but with Headingley being a ten minute walk away, you don't need one.

Oh, and I forgot. If you like squirrels, you'll love James Baillie.
I'm not sure if Leodis has parking, but I think it does. If so then I think it would be perfect for you.
Leodis has loads of parking, I dunno how easy it is to get a permit though with it being one of the larger accommodations but there's a fair bit of parking which never seemedto be full when I was living there.
:frown: We're not all bad in Devonshire.
The Rah's don't talk to the self-catering peasants like me and my mates. :wink:
Reply 11
clarence dock has parking and is close to the centre. although driving in leeds is a mass pain!
not the closest to uni but i walk there everyday and dont mind it... i guess it doesnt seem far because you're walking through the city centre.
all rooms have own bathroom.
self catered
and it has a bar.

x

Latest