The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1
Anyone? And does anyone know how noisy Bankside is? (construction work)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
TheWolf
Anyone? And does anyone know how noisy Bankside is? (construction work)

Hey dude - did you have a look at Bankside and Grosvenor today?
Reply 3
mobb_theprequel
Hey dude - did you have a look at Bankside and Grosvenor today?

Hey man, I went on Saturday. Grosvenor seems to be still refurbishing, as it doesn't have a LSE sign infront of the door, and it looks abit run down atm. The location is awesome though. Bankside is nice, but it is in abit of a remote area comparing to the other 2 (Grosvenor and Holbourn), so it doesn't seem like a great idea to walk to LSE, so bus is the only way. There is construction work going on right next to the hall as well. From what I have gathered, construction work stops after 5pm from Monday-Friday, and it halts on Saturday and Sunday, which seems OK. Holborn is gonna be pretty noisy if you are picked to have one of the rooms facing the main road. That's all the info I can get really. :smile:
TheWolf
Hey man, I went on Saturday. Grosvenor seems to be still refurbishing, as it doesn't have a LSE sign infront of the door, and it looks abit run down atm. The location is awesome though. Bankside is nice, but it is in abit of a remote area comparing to the other 2 (Grosvenor and Holbourn). There is construction work going on right next to the hall as well. From what I have gathered, construction work stops after 5pm from Monday-Friday, and it halts on Saturday and Sunday, which seems OK. Holborn is gonna be pretty noisy if you are picked to have one of the rooms facing the main road. That's all the info I can get really. :smile:

Nice one, my minion. Your next mission is to conquer Mars - and build an exclusive LSE outpost (for the Extra Terrestrial distance-learning MBA). :smile: :wink:

Did you get any pics?
Reply 5
mobb_theprequel
Nice one, my minion. Your next mission is to conquer Mars - and build an exclusive LSE outpost (for the Extra Terrestrial distance-learning MBA). :smile: :wink:

Did you get any pics?

LOL :biggrin: wolf, remember my Mars bar on your way back from your next mission! We shall wait for u! lol

hmm, it sounds fine, I probably close all the windows anyway, so hopefully noise and dust from the mainroads will not enter my room! By the way, are there supermarkets nearby to buy food? :rolleyes:

Seems great then, Wolf, which is your first choice? Grosvenor or Holborn? Mine is Grosvenor...hope they finish the refurbishing before our entry! from what u said, it sounds as though they've only just started! Abit worried, coz these kind of things never seem to meet deadlines :P (my sch took 2 months longer than expected to build a little music block)
Reply 6
cktlee1
LOL :biggrin: wolf, remember my Mars bar on your way back from your next mission! We shall wait for u! lol

hmm, it sounds fine, I probably close all the windows anyway, so hopefully noise and dust from the mainroads will not enter my room! By the way, are there supermarkets nearby to buy food? :rolleyes:

Seems great then, Wolf, which is your first choice? Grosvenor or Holborn? Mine is Grosvenor...hope they finish the refurbishing before our entry! from what u said, it sounds as though they've only just started! Abit worried, coz these kind of things never seem to meet deadlines :P (my sch took 2 months longer than expected to build a little music block)

LOL. :thrasher:

Grosvenor is my first choice. Competition for places there is quite high though, so I need to think about 2nd choice and 3rd choice. Both Holborn and Bankside have loadsa places, so you are always likely to get your 2nd choice (I bloody well hope so anyways!). I don't think there are supermarkets near Bankside (none that I know of anyways), but there are small shops/news agents very close by (a minute wallk away). Sorry i didn't take any photos! (cus they are the same as those in the website)!

btw I know how small the rooms at Holborn is suppose to be. But 12m^2 (average size) isn't that small is it? At Grosvenor(a studio flat!), sizes range from 11.5 - 18.5m².
Reply 7
I thought Grosvenor is expansive and not many people will prefer living there? well, anyway I hope holborn will have places left for us as insurance, my brother lived in Bankside during his 1st year, said it was too far away and its annoying to walk during the rain lol.

Thinking back about the accomodation application...it makes me think of the UCAS...lol, u choose 6 choices, send application, wait for reply. when u get offer, u get a firm and an insurance...if u dun get into what u want, u have to go for clearing, in this case, intercollgiated halls....LOL
Reply 8
cktlee1
I thought Grosvenor is expansive and not many people will prefer living there? well, anyway I hope holborn will have places left for us as insurance, my brother lived in Bankside during his 1st year, said it was too far away and its annoying to walk during the rain lol.

Thinking back about the accomodation application...it makes me think of the UCAS...lol, u choose 6 choices, send application, wait for reply. when u get offer, u get a firm and an insurance...if u dun get into what u want, u have to go for clearing, in this case, intercollgiated halls....LOL

LSE is not short of students with wealthy parents however. What did your brother study?
Reply 9
TheWolf
LSE is not short of students with wealthy parents however. What did your brother study?

thats true~

My brother? Guess what! Accounting and Finance :biggrin:
Reply 10
cktlee1
thats true~

My brother? Guess what! Accounting and Finance :biggrin:

LOL. Awesome. How did he find the course? What is he up 2 now? :smile:
Reply 11
I remembering him saying he regret underestimating Year 1 work...That year, lots of people said 1st year is unimportant, it carry little weights, etc...so he went out and enjoyed himself...By year 2, he found its difficult to catch up etc, and he ended up with a 2:2 when he graduated...Nevertheless, he did say what he learnt in LSE is even more indepth and useful than in a Master A&F he did in Kingston (lol another story)...

He now work in HK for a medium sized Accounting firm, in fact only just started working today. He got rejected by the Big4, well that was quite obvious coz of a 2:2...but he didn't want to work in Big4 anyway, (lol) coz we know a few people in big4 in Hong Kong have to work 14-18 hours a day...and its just crazy lol
cktlee1

Too far away: it's a 20-30 minute walk; rain - annoying (it's wet!): he should have researched the British weather beforehand..

Sometimes I really do wonder, I see all these people dressed like off -duty commandos (ie combat trousers, sports gear, woolly caps etc) and yet a 25 minute walk is too much? And your brother took no interest in the fact that Bankside is right next to Tate Modern, Borough Market, the South Bank cultural quarter, St.Paul's Cathedral etc (people come from across the world to experiece these places).

No offence, but London and LSE are wasted on some individuals - your brother would have been happier at City or Warwick.
Reply 13
Which hall do/did you stay at?
Reply 14
W.A.S Hewins

Too far away: it's a 20-30 minute walk; rain - annoying (it's wet!): he should have researched the British weather beforehand..

Sometimes I really do wonder, I see all these people dressed like off -duty commandos (ie combat trousers, sports gear, woolly caps etc) and yet a 25 minute walk is too much? And your brother took no interest in the fact that Bankside is right next to Tate Modern, Borough Market, the South Bank cultural quarter, St.Paul's Cathedral etc (people come from across the world to experiece these places).

No offence, but London and LSE are wasted on some individuals - your brother would have been happier at City or Warwick.

Well, saying that, if u live next to the art gallery, will u go there everyday? u gotta realise that tourist attractions are for tourists, u can still visit those places even if u didn't live right next to it but instead 30 mins away? If site attractions are the reasons u choose a place to live in, no comments. I do hope u have enough time and money to move house everytime u want to visit a place. (oops going too far :rolleyes: )

And for those who dressed like "duty commandos", thats their preference? Also, if u have lectures 3 times a week, thats like 3 hrs u waste every week going to the sch, not taking account that u have classes and other reasons to go to the uni (like, to make best use of the new library available, to attend events such as special talks by invited guess.)
Reply 15
Cktlee! Wanna join our TSR fantasy shares game? (see sig) :biggrin:
Reply 16
TheWolf
Cktlee! Wanna join our TSR fantasy shares game? (see sig) :biggrin:

looks cool! I wanna play I wanna play! :dancing:

Latest

Trending

Trending