The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

coolh5000
The fact that the 2nd is a Friday means that if they're not sent first class then it could be the fifth (the next Monday) before they arrive for people in the UK or possibly later so I can imagine they're going to get a lot of people ringing. I'm trying not to think about it too much. It's only two weeks and I think it will come along quick than you think.

Mail can be received on Saturdays, anything. And most likely that you will get your letter on the 3rd if you live in the East, and near-by areas.
my experience last year was that cambridge send everything by post
Here, under 'Information about the winter pool' it says something along the lines of no college can get back to any applicant (unless they were rejected without interview) before Jan 2nd...meaning letters will be posted Jan 2nd. If you're lucky...you'll get the letter Jan 3rd, if not, wait till Jan 5th...and don't ring up before Jan 5th if they've said not to...
Reply 23
LadyJaneGrey
Here, under 'Information about the winter pool' it says something along the lines of no college can get back to any applicant (unless they were rejected without interview) before Jan 2nd...meaning letters will be posted Jan 2nd. If you're lucky...you'll get the letter Jan 3rd, if not, wait till Jan 5th...and don't ring up before Jan 5th if they've said not to...

I wonder wether we actually can phone after the 5th?

cause Ive only been hearing about that here on TSR, Ive never seen it anywhere written on the cambridge website.

could anyone enlighten me wether this is definately true?
Yasmin18
I wonder wether we actually can phone after the 5th?

cause Ive only been hearing about that here on TSR, Ive never seen it anywhere written on the cambridge website.

could anyone enlighten me wether this is definately true?

I've never actually heard anything about ringing up after Jan 5th from Cambridge. I guess I might if the letter hasn't come by the 8th or 9th or something. Apparantly some colleges are quite late with sending letters out anyway :shifty:
I just want to know. My extreme pessimism has really poisoned my past week! Damn you, Cambridge!
Reply 26
celiaceliacelia
I just want to know. My extreme pessimism has really poisoned my past week! Damn you, Cambridge!

Heh, I've been trying to work out whether if the letter is bad news, I'll feel better or worse than I do now. On the one hand, the waiting will be over, but then.. bad news will suck and I know I'll be pouting for the rest of Jan.
Reply 27
aaloo
Heh, I've been trying to work out whether if the letter is bad news, I'll feel better or worse than I do now. On the one hand, the waiting will be over, but then.. bad news will suck and I know I'll be pouting for the rest of Jan.

exactly my thoughts, too :biggrin:

I try to prepare myself for a rejection though... only that hope doesnt want to disappear yet lol
My hope disappeared immediately after the interview - lol
I'm prepared for the rejection. Bleurgh life
Reply 29
Yasmin18
exactly my thoughts, too :biggrin:

I try to prepare myself for a rejection though... only that hope doesnt want to disappear yet lol

I know, I keep trying to visualise the rejection letter in an attempt to stamp down on hope, but it keeps morphing into an offer letter. Not good for my mental state!
Reply 30
haha ok change of subject:

what is everyone doing for nye?

and how are you make time passing without thinking too much about the letter?

I really should concentrate on exams in january, but it just doesnt seem possible at the moment, argh!

I envy all oxford applicants for knowing!
Reply 31
although I should add: especially the successfull ones :P what a christmas, and how motivating for the upcoming exams.
Reply 32
Yasmin18

I really should concentrate on exams in january, but it just doesnt seem possible at the moment, argh!

I envy all oxford applicants for knowing!

Well, I'm meant to be planning my 7 month trip in South America and I'm leaving mid-Feb but I haven't done a thing besides buy the flight tickets because I can't concentrate.
For NYE I'm going to my friends' house in high st ken and getting absolutely :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. then i'm staying with various friends, maintaing an extremely inebriated state, until the 3rd :smile:.

You?

I'm going to Durham (family live there) from the 27th-30th and I think I'm going to start working tomorrow.

Haha, I haven't 'visualised' an offer! I don't have any hope vested in my application so I guess it's not too bad, I'm just cringing about how terribly bad I was haha. x
Reply 34
oh wow south america, where about are you going? so you're on a gap year I guess? what have you done so far?

and @celia: seems like a lot of distraction though, must be good :smile: haha same actualyl for my nye.

I think Ill go to zurich for new years eve, party all night and hope to be sleeping until the letter arrives haha
no just kidding, I really realyl want to go skiing for a few days before school starts again.

oo I just realised that the letter will arrive a few days before my birthday :/
Reply 35
Yasmin18
oh wow south america, where about are you going? so you're on a gap year I guess? what have you done so far?

oo I just realised that the letter will arrive a few days before my birthday :/

argentina, chile, bolivia, peru and ecuador, wooo! I've been working at Deloitte in london on a gap year scheme.

Oh, the letter arrives about 10 days before my birthday too. Which means another excuse to get thoroughly WRECKED, whether in celebration or in an attempt to drown sorrows.
Yeah! I'm going to be sleeping when it comes so that I can sort of just wake up then either go back to sleep (curling up in a depressed ball) or be buzzing with elation (this is completely improbable)

:smile: Craziness! Also, I have no internet connection from tomorrow to the 30th, so I guess I'll be forgetting about the whole shebang until the 30th. :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:, I think it's the night of the 2nd that will make me go crazy with worry! Baah, it seems that everyone's interviews went so much better than bloody mine x
Reply 37
aaloo
argentina, chile, bolivia, peru and ecuador, wooo!

Niiiice! I was in Ecuador for 3 months, it's really pretty. And a small country so you get get to loads of different places (and there is a lot of variety in Ecuador) without having to travel that far. The longest bus journey I had were 12 hours (but the trip back only took us 9 hours).
I was in Bolivia as well but only for a week and only in Santa Cruz. It's quite nice, very green. From what my freind told me, travelling in Bolivia is a lot mor exhausting and part of it is really really high and I'm personally not that good with altitude (the 2000 something m in Quito were already tough for me :wink:). The political situation in Bolivia is crap though (Totally random but if you've watched the new James Bond movie, there's a part when Bolivian police officers say "Los documentos por favor". I watched the movie in Bolivia and EVERYONE laughed, they don't respect the police at all, in Santa Cruz at least...)
Anyway, have fun! It's beautiful over there! Sorry about all the rambling...

For NYE, I'll be in Berlin with some friends. I really hope that'll distract me enough...I'll get back on the 2nd! Still haven't decided yet when I'm going to email the college about my results. I don't think I can wait until my letter arrives...
frederizia
Niiiice! I was in Ecuador for 3 months, it's really pretty. And a small country so you get get to loads of different places (and there is a lot of variety in Ecuador) without having to travel that far. The longest bus journey I had were 12 hours (but the trip back only took us 9 hours).
I was in Bolivia as well but only for a week and only in Santa Cruz. It's quite nice, very green. From what my freind told me, travelling in Bolivia is a lot mor exhausting and part of it is really really high and I'm personally not that good with altitude (the 2000 something m in Quito were already tough for me :wink:). The political situation in Bolivia is crap though (Totally random but if you've watched the new James Bond movie, there's a part when Bolivian police officers say "Los documentos por favor". I watched the movie in Bolivia and EVERYONE laughed, they don't respect the police at all, in Santa Cruz at least...)
Anyway, have fun! It's beautiful over there! Sorry about all the rambling...

For NYE, I'll be in Berlin with some friends. I really hope that'll distract me enough...I'll get back on the 2nd! Still haven't decided yet when I'm going to email the college about my results. I don't think I can wait until my letter arrives...

Did Downing mention anything about when we can call/send an email? I can't find anything about calling on the 5th on their website and I don't think I can wait till January 9th (which is when the letter will probably arrive in the Netherlands) :o:
Reply 39
Nope but I did read some threads from last year and after a few days people emailed them and got their letters in an email. And I think an international (non-EU) already got an email on the 2nd...

Latest

Trending

Trending