The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are nice people!
Reply 2
I wish my mum would buy me a fighter jet...
Reply 3
good on Russia!
Reply 4
Awesome -.-
Reply 5
If they ever were attacked by a neighbour, especially Israel. They wouldn't even be able to get them off the ground I'd think...
Reply 6
Useless article. Doesn't say what variant of the -29. If this is a modern variant with good training and logistics it can be quite deadly against Israeli F-15 and F-16. If it's a MiG-29 and its kept in a rusty shed and looked after by Abdul the village idiot then what is even the point...
one can always rely on russia to think of something original :p:
Reply 8
possibly linked to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7764657.stm

those clever Russians
Reply 9
Bagration
Useless article. Doesn't say what variant of the -29. If this is a modern variant with good training and logistics it can be quite deadly against Israeli F-15 and F-16. If it's a MiG-29 and its kept in a rusty shed and looked after by Abdul the village idiot then what is even the point...

It says MiG-29? :confused: Or are there many variants of the MiG-29?
Mithra
It says MiG-29? :confused: Or are there many variants of the MiG-29?
MiG-29A is a pile of ****. MiG-29OVT, on the other hand...
Reply 11
a mere token...would need more than 100 modern '29s to pose any sort of serious threat to Israel...Anyway I'm not sure if ground based facilities would even be enough to co-ordinate a response to airspace violations
sulpicia
a mere token...would need more than 100 modern '29s to pose any sort of serious threat to Israel...Anyway I'm not sure if ground based facilities would even be enough to co-ordinate a response to airspace violations
This is a good point, actually. There is much to be desired about the state of Lebanon's military aerial infrastructure.
Reply 13
doggyfizzel
Its just Russia supporting a country that are going to use the jets to stop Israel flying into their country. Basically Russia and the US playing chess with Israel and Lebanon.

Even if there was a violation of their airspace... lol. Unfortunately they still wouldn't be able to scramble quick enough. Syria has had it's land bombed even by Israeli fighter jets and couldn't do anything at all to stop it.

You're right though, I wonder if it ever turns into a US-Russia proxy war... It's already an Israel-Iran war using Hezbollah.
Reply 14
Agreed that Lebanon will not be able to catch the Israeli jets, but it can return the favour by violating Israeli airspace and dropping some Christmas presents.
The Leb army is a glorified police force, nothing more - they had trouble uprooting some Palestinian terrorists in a refugee camp. These jets will look nice in a childrens play park, but they pose no threat to Israel's continuous violation of Lebanese airspace.
Reply 16
Vegitto
Agreed that Lebanon will not be able to catch the Israeli jets, but it can return the favour by violating Israeli airspace and dropping some Christmas presents.

After the thrashing they got in the summer, they'd be idiots to do what your saying. Also, Israeli ground to air defence would wipe out any threat before the pilot could even release anything.
doggyfizzel
Its just Russia supporting a country that are going to use the jets to stop Israel flying into their country. Basically Russia and the US playing chess with Israel and Lebanon.

And this happens for many, many, many more countries than just Israel and Lebanon. Africa for one.
Ducki
I wish my mum would buy me a fighter jet...

There was one on ebay not too long ago...
xTazx
And this happens for many, many, many more countries than just Israel and Lebanon. Africa for one.

yes...........if Africa was actually a country

Latest

Trending

Trending