The Student Room Group

Journalism Applicants 2009!

Scroll to see replies

reddevilleanne
Oh... well 2 of my choices are in the clearing list! I wish I could see the one for Media and Sociology for Goldsmiths coz I'm pretty sure it's not that sought after even tho they are really well known for their Media department.

I'm doing a National Diploma in Health and Social Care (which I hate... it is soul destroying! But I get distinctions all the time so it's not all bad) and then a-level Media. I wish I'd have done English :frown: English and Media are my specialities!

Oh I didn't know you could do an A-level along with that! I wanted to do music initially but my college didn't offer it as an A level so I wanted to do something that wasn't an A level in it but still do English on the side and they told me I couldnt, grrr. Glad I didn't do that now though, I love my subjects :love:
The course is good, shorthand is boring, NCTJ doesnt start till 2nd year, lecturers are very easy going. University itself is constantly improving, its sport centre is to be used for 2012 training etc. All the media centre is brand new-high tech and the times lists st peters campus in its top 5 campus buildings.
I'm rattling on, but I really like it and I would not have stayed in London, I never visited before moving here... but I love it!
Ah that sounds really good :biggrin:

I'm off to bed now, been up since 6am - travelling tires me out as well, spent most of my day today on the M1! :rolleyes:
apassingfeeling
Oh I didn't know you could do an A-level along with that! I wanted to do music initially but my college didn't offer it as an A level so I wanted to do something that wasn't an A level in it but still do English on the side and they told me I couldnt, grrr. Glad I didn't do that now though, I love my subjects :love:

Really?? A national diploma at level 3 is worth 2 A-levels, so you're allowed to do at least 1 other a-level on the side aswell. I wanted to do 2 a-levels on the side but they wouldn't let me! :frown:
reddevilleanne
Really?? A national diploma at level 3 is worth 2 A-levels, so you're allowed to do at least 1 other a-level on the side aswell. I wanted to do 2 a-levels on the side but they wouldn't let me! :frown:

Aww I wish I'd known that back then, haha. I think it was partially because the A levels and the national diplomas are done at different campuses quite far from each other so it'd be quite awkward. Ah well!

I still haven't heart from N.Trent... Realistically, its been less than 24 hours since I went there so I shouldn't be expecting an offer :p:
But still... i'm impatient and i'd like to know :rolleyes:
apassingfeeling
Aww I wish I'd known that back then, haha. I think it was partially because the A levels and the national diplomas are done at different campuses quite far from each other so it'd be quite awkward. Ah well!

I still haven't heart from N.Trent... Realistically, its been less than 24 hours since I went there so I shouldn't be expecting an offer :p:
But still... i'm impatient and i'd like to know :rolleyes:

They're probably just too busy to update UCAS atm, don't worry! I hope you get an offer tho :biggrin:

Goldsmiths just sent me an email and I thought it might be about my application so got all excited... but sadly it wasn't! :frown: :p:
reddevilleanne
They're probably just too busy to update UCAS atm, don't worry! I hope you get an offer tho :biggrin:

Goldsmiths just sent me an email and I thought it might be about my application so got all excited... but sadly it wasn't! :frown: :p:

Eeek, what was it about? I get emails from all sorts of universities (from when I was requesting prospectuses and stuff I think) and I get all excited when I see the email is from 'The university of...' but then when its just a newsletter from somewhere I haven't applied to... :mad: !

I need to be patient! But I know i'll sit here for the next few hours refreshing Track :p:
apassingfeeling
Eeek, what was it about? I get emails from all sorts of universities (from when I was requesting prospectuses and stuff I think) and I get all excited when I see the email is from 'The university of...' but then when its just a newsletter from somewhere I haven't applied to... :mad: !

I need to be patient! But I know i'll sit here for the next few hours refreshing Track :p:

It was just like a newsletter thing telling me that their Sociology department is ranked joint-first. Quite impressive really.

I'm so sick of people telling me I'm choosing 'soft' degrees and that it's a waste of time and money. Journalism/media is what I'm interested in and have a passion for, so what gives them to right to dictate my life? It's my life, my money and my choice so I'll choose whatever course and Uni that I want!

Sorry, had a mini rant there... :p:
reddevilleanne

I'm so sick of people telling me I'm choosing 'soft' degrees and that it's a waste of time and money. Journalism/media is what I'm interested in and have a passion for, so what gives them to right to dictate my life? It's my life, my money and my choice so I'll choose whatever course and Uni that I want!

Sorry, had a mini rant there... :p:

Lol dw :p: I know what you mean, I hate it. I especially hate all the people on here that go on and on about how media studies is a waste of time and if you're studying these 'soft' courses then you don't deserve to be in college or in uni and all that. I can't even begin to count the number of times that I've had people telling me that I'll be wasting 3 years and "why don't you just start working at a newspaper and work your way up if you really love journalism" - people don't seem to understand that I want to study journalism and not do it 'on the job'. I want to analyse articles and learn about journalism law and ethics and all that, and even if I could do all that whilst starting out at a local newspaper or whatever, I wouldn't want to because I want to be in an academic environment and study with people who also have a passion for what I do...

Another thing I hate is how people seem to assume they'd pass (or get an A as I saw someone saying on here the other day) media studies without a teacher or lessons or anything. Yeah so media may look easy because you're studying things that seem quite trivial - films and magazines and newspapers etc, but these things often shape our lives and how is analysing a newspaper article to find out how it is persuasive using its choice of fonts and colours etc any different to analysing something in English? :rolleyes: And how would it be any easier? Its the same with any subject, if you don't know the theories/things to look out for etc, then you're not going to know how to answer the question, simple as.

I also hate how people assume i'm sitting around watching films all day! NOT TRUE!

Bah, I had a bit of a rant there too haha. It just annoys me :rolleyes:
apassingfeeling
Lol dw :p: I know what you mean, I hate it. I especially hate all the people on here that go on and on about how media studies is a waste of time and if you're studying these 'soft' courses then you don't deserve to be in college or in uni and all that. I can't even begin to count the number of times that I've had people telling me that I'll be wasting 3 years and "why don't you just start working at a newspaper and work your way up if you really love journalism" - people don't seem to understand that I want to study journalism and not do it 'on the job'. I want to analyse articles and learn about journalism law and ethics and all that, and even if I could do all that whilst starting out at a local newspaper or whatever, I wouldn't want to because I want to be in an academic environment and study with people who also have a passion for what I do...

Another thing I hate is how people seem to assume they'd pass (or get an A as I saw someone saying on here the other day) media studies without a teacher or lessons or anything. Yeah so media may look easy because you're studying things that seem quite trivial - films and magazines and newspapers etc, but these things often shape our lives and how is analysing a newspaper article to find out how it is persuasive using its choice of fonts and colours etc any different to analysing something in English? :rolleyes: And how would it be any easier? Its the same with any subject, if you don't know the theories/things to look out for etc, then you're not going to know how to answer the question, simple as.

I also hate how people assume i'm sitting around watching films all day! NOT TRUE!

Bah, I had a bit of a rant there too haha. It just annoys me :rolleyes:

I agree with everything you wrote there! Media isn't just about media, my course involves a bit of politics and sociology too, and as for films, well I've only done one thing about films and that's coz it was for Med2 which was a film question! People often refer to Media Studies as a 'doss' lesson and it was at GCSE coz it was just sooo damn easy, I knew all of things then. But A-level is not as easy and I wish people wouldn't criticise us. Personally I think that a Maths a-level is crap but I don't go around voicing my opinion to all of the Maths applicants! It's their choice what they wanna do and if it makes them happy, so be it. It's just a pity that others don't think like that.
Hey everyone!
Here's my choices:
NTU - Media with Specalist pathways (Journalism) - Conditional offer
DMU - Media and Journalism- Conditional offer
DMU- Journalism - EXAM- 6th Jan! Ahh
Uni of the Arts, London - Journalism! (They still haven't got back to me:angry:)
London Met - Journalism - Conditional Offer

Nice to meet everyone *puts hand out :P* hehe!
**CutiePie**
Hey everyone!
Here's my choices:
NTU - Media with Specalist pathways (Journalism) - Conditional offer
DMU - Media and Journalism- Conditional offer
DMU- Journalism - EXAM- 6th Jan! Ahh
Uni of the Arts, London - Journalism! (They still haven't got back to me:angry:)
London Met - Journalism - Conditional Offer

Nice to meet everyone *puts hand out :P* hehe!

Oooh I'm applying to Uni of the Arts for Journalism too :biggrin: Yay I've finally found someone applying to one of my courses!! lol

Is Trent your first choice?
reddevilleanne
Oooh I'm applying to Uni of the Arts for Journalism too :biggrin: Yay I've finally found someone applying to one of my courses!! lol

Is Trent your first choice?

Hey! My first choice is between DMU and Trent'; Can't decide at the minute!

Oo, yay finally! Everyone I spoke to so far wasn't applying for UAL! Have you heard back from them yet? Whats your first choice?
**CutiePie**
Hey! My first choice is between DMU and Trent'; Can't decide at the minute!

Oo, yay finally! Everyone I spoke to so far wasn't applying for UAL! Have you heard back from them yet? Whats your first choice?

Nope I've not heard anything from any of mine coz I only sent it off 2 days ago :frown: Not even got acknowledgements yet! When did you apply?

Kingston is my first choice :smile: Apparently they're really quick at giving out offers.
reddevilleanne
Nope I've not heard anything from any of mine coz I only sent it off 2 days ago :frown: Not even got acknowledgements yet! When did you apply?

Kingston is my first choice :smile: Apparently they're really quick at giving out offers.

Oh! :frown: I sent mine off in October but my bf applied to UAL last year and he said they should let me know after christmas...so maybe they take a while longer?

Kingstons supposed to be really good!

Oo, your from Nottingham?! I am (originally)
**CutiePie**
Oh! :frown: I sent mine off in October but my bf applied to UAL last year and he said they should let me know after christmas...so maybe they take a while longer?

Kingstons supposed to be really good!

Oo, your from Nottingham?! I am (originally)

Yeah quite a few Uni's leave it til they've had pretty much all of the applications in, particularly for Journalism. I'm not sure how many places UAL are offering tho?

The course at Kingston is perfect for me, the Uni's nice, the people are friendly and the location is good :biggrin: I loved it there!

Where are you living now? I hate Notts!!
Ah i've heard UAL are always really slow with offers! I hope you're not getting too impatient haha :biggrin:
Sheffield were nice enough to email me to tell me I wouldn't be hearing from them until February so I can stop worrying... I think all unis that arent going to let you know until after the deadline should let you know, its only polite!

Trent still haven't got back to me! aaargh!
I got an offer from Nottingham Trent!!!!

Eeee i'm so happy :biggrin: it'll be my insurance choice :smile::smile:
apassingfeeling
I got an offer from Nottingham Trent!!!!

Eeee i'm so happy :biggrin: it'll be my insurance choice :smile::smile:

Yay! Well done :biggrin:

I wonder when I'll get my first offer...
reddevilleanne
Yay! Well done :biggrin:

I wonder when I'll get my first offer...

Thank you :biggrin: I didnt even bother to wait for the email I've been refreshing Track since about 1 today haha :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll get one soon, especially if your unis are quick to reply :biggrin:
I sent my application on 25th November and got my first offer on the 11th December. You just need to be patient :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending