The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SamTheMan
As I mentioned, it's not because you wouldn't manage a 2:1 at Imperial, that you'd get a 2:1 at Southampton. You're going to be with bright people no matter where you go and I can ASSURE you that going to Southampton is not going to guarantee you a higher grade and won't make it any easier. I don't reckon that the level is going to be significant enough for it to make it any easier. I've been to Imperial (also for Engineering) and 2 other unis so can compare the levels.

If you got an offer from Imperial it's BECAUSE you have the aptitude to achieve a 2:1.

Stuff like how much it will cost you and student life are really secondary factors. It would be really stupid to put too much importance on these. Of course if you're hesitating between two former polytechs, that's a whole different matter but to turn down an offer like this...

It's like someone getting an offer for Harvard and going "Nah too expensive, I'll go off to Leeds Met, have a good time and have a few grand more in my bank account".

It's a false economy as well as you'll be earning a few grand more a year if you graduate from Imperial.

Yep, I agree. And since you have had experience at other universities I'm safe in the knowledge that you know what you're talking about. I thank you very much for your help. (I already gave rep away today so I'll try and remember)
Imperial!!

But you may still get an Oxford offer you say....? :smile:
I wasn't fishing for rep haha

Remember that an Imperial degree will set you up for life. (That doesn't mean that you'll be a millionaire or anything). It really is worth gold in London. Of course you're not thinking that way right now...
Reply 23
SamTheMan
I wasn't fishing for rep haha

Remember that an Imperial degree will set you up for life. (That doesn't mean that you'll be a millionaire or anything). It really is worth gold in London. Of course you're not thinking that way right now...

I know I know :smile:

Well I do have one eye set on the future, and when you're told at interview day by an undergraduate that his starting salary is 32K, with his mate's being 36K you can't help thinking of the money side of things.
Reply 24
May I ask someone at imperial doing EEE how many moduels they get a semester? Is there any truth behind the 'the workload at imperial is far greater than at soton' attitude sprawled over this thread?

Imperial has a better reputation internationaly.
Reply 25
Samtooth
May I ask someone at imperial doing EEE how many moduels they get a semester? Is there any truth behind the 'the workload at imperial is far greater than at soton' attitude sprawled over this thread?

Imperial has a better reputation internationaly.

I'm not doing EEE here myself, but I've spoken to a few EEEers, and the general consensus is that it's pretty much Imperial's hardest course (alongside JMC). I'm not sure how many modules they do, but the it workload is an absolute killer - I hear they get 10+ tutorial sheets in a week! I don't know about Southampton, but I think it's very unlikely that their course is nearly as demanding.
Reply 26
Peel
but I think it's very unlikely that their course is nearly as demanding.

is this simply conjecture?
Reply 27
Samtooth
is this simply conjecture?

It was an opinion based on limited knowledge, so make of it what you will.
Reply 28
talon1579
You could consider costs. It will cost much more to live in London. Imperial is in a really expensive part of London. After your year in halls it will cost you a fortune to live near Uni or you can live in a grottier part (there are lots in London) and commute in on the tube.

In Southampton you will come out with less debt. If you are doing a MEng it won't matter as much. Or could you do a BEng at Southampton and a Masters in London? Best of both worlds?

That is my plan potentially :p:
Reply 29
Imperial >>> Southampton
Reply 30
thanks for that lad.
Reply 31
Matey, i'm in Southampton and got rejected by imperial so am obviously going to be slightly biased.

What I can say is this:

Southampton = 5*A research rating, all the engineering departments have the highest ratings

The course is not so theoretically based.
There is a campus and more of a uni lifestyle - compared to what i've heard from people at imperial.
Look at the times online league tables (if this means anything to you) - soton is 4th whilst imperial is 8th.

What you will need to think about is basically
Imperial reputation and having a degree from imperial itself rather than soton may help you a little bit more in the future.
Or having a nice campus etc, a more varied but slightly less intense course and the university lifestyle.

If you're a hard worker and put more emphasis on work than play, go for imperial because it sounds like you could hack it (you might get an offer from oxford so thats why i'm thinking that)
however don't assume southampton is a doss just because imperial's course might be more intense, it still is pretty hard.
PM me if you need to know anything etc
Reply 32
Snobpence17
But to get the best possible start to a career abroad it could be worth it? that's why it's such a hard decision.

which university did you choose at the end?
Reply 33
carrotboy
Matey, i'm in Southampton and got rejected by imperial so am obviously going to be slightly biased.

What I can say is this:

Southampton = 5*A research rating, all the engineering departments have the highest ratings

The course is not so theoretically based.
There is a campus and more of a uni lifestyle - compared to what i've heard from people at imperial.
Look at the times online league tables (if this means anything to you) - soton is 4th whilst imperial is 8th.

What you will need to think about is basically
Imperial reputation and having a degree from imperial itself rather than soton may help you a little bit more in the future.
Or having a nice campus etc, a more varied but slightly less intense course and the university lifestyle.

If you're a hard worker and put more emphasis on work than play, go for imperial because it sounds like you could hack it (you might get an offer from oxford so thats why i'm thinking that)
however don't assume southampton is a doss just because imperial's course might be more intense, it still is pretty hard.
PM me if you need to know anything etc

do you think that someone from southampton has a lot less chances to find a job in electrical engineering after he graduates than someone from imperial?
Reply 34
fredbraty
do you think that someone from southampton has a lot less chances to find a job in electrical engineering after he graduates than someone from imperial?

No. Demand for engineers is high. I'm not sure about electrical engineering, but I do know that the employers for civil don't really take your university's reputation into account. If you've got an accredited degree, it counts. A course will be equally hard at a 'less pretigious' university than it will at a good one, because the course content has been checked by an independant body. I think thats correct. Sorry if it isn't.
Reply 35
carrotboy
No. Demand for engineers is high. I'm not sure about electrical engineering, but I do know that the employers for civil don't really take your university's reputation into account. If you've got an accredited degree, it counts. A course will be equally hard at a 'less pretigious' university than it will at a good one, because the course content has been checked by an independant body. I think thats correct. Sorry if it isn't.

what about the position that a graduate gets at a company.i mean is it possible that someone from imperial gets a higher place at a company than someone from southampton?(considering that they both have only their degree)
Reply 36
fredbraty
what about the position that a graduate gets at a company.i mean is it possible that someone from imperial gets a higher place at a company than someone from southampton?(considering that they both have only their degree)

No, generally in engineering you need to gain experience to climb that ladder
Reply 37
The fact that you're only concerns regarding Imperial is the workload and the lack of campus life make me think you should go there.

Workload - Well if you've got/get the grades then you'll be fine providing you put in the work!
Lack of Campus - This ones a bit more difficult, but you named a whole list of great things about London that can make up for that, it is a great place to live.

Word of warning, London really is expensive, and unless you're parents are going to help you out a bit you're going to need a summer job. You get a bigger loan in London, but the costs are far greater and a house relatively central (zone 2 say) still costs alot. I wouldn't recommend a job during term because a) workload b) social life. Even if you live in the outer zones the cost of commuting seriously adds up. This shouldn't be something to put you off Imperial, it's a great uni, just something to think about!
Reply 38
Benny_b
The fact that you're only concerns regarding Imperial is the workload and the lack of campus life make me think you should go there.

Workload - Well if you've got/get the grades then you'll be fine providing you put in the work!
Lack of Campus - This ones a bit more difficult, but you named a whole list of great things about London that can make up for that, it is a great place to live.

Word of warning, London really is expensive, and unless you're parents are going to help you out a bit you're going to need a summer job. You get a bigger loan in London, but the costs are far greater and a house relatively central (zone 2 say) still costs alot. I wouldn't recommend a job during term because a) workload b) social life. Even if you live in the outer zones the cost of commuting seriously adds up. This shouldn't be something to put you off Imperial, it's a great uni, just something to think about!

are you studying at imperial right now?
Reply 39
fredbraty
are you studying at imperial right now?

No, I'm studying engineering at Loughborough. My GF is in London though so I'm well aware of the joys and annoyances of campus life (Loughborough) and likewise city life in London (she's at QMUL).

Latest