The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SamTheMan
As I mentioned, it's not because you wouldn't manage a 2:1 at Imperial, that you'd get a 2:1 at Southampton. You're going to be with bright people no matter where you go and I can ASSURE you that going to Southampton is not going to guarantee you a higher grade and won't make it any easier. I don't reckon that the level is going to be significant enough for it to make it any easier. I've been to Imperial (also for Engineering) and 2 other unis so can compare the levels.

If you got an offer from Imperial it's BECAUSE you have the aptitude to achieve a 2:1.

Stuff like how much it will cost you and student life are really secondary factors. It would be really stupid to put too much importance on these. Of course if you're hesitating between two former polytechs, that's a whole different matter but to turn down an offer like this...

It's like someone getting an offer for Harvard and going "Nah too expensive, I'll go off to Leeds Met, have a good time and have a few grand more in my bank account".

It's a false economy as well as you'll be earning a few grand more a year if you graduate from Imperial.

This may shock you but the difference in earning potential of Southampton and Imperial graduates and the difference in reputation between the two universities, if they exist at all, are NOTHING like that of Harvard and Leeds Met. I understand the compulsion to big up one's own university but I'm afraid you got carried away.
No difference in standing of either uni in terms of STEM subjects.

Southampton has some great pubs and music venues. I live there. Some really good CAMRA pubs if that's your taste, but some cracking small music venues such as the Talking Heads, Soul Cellar, Platform Tavern and Joiners, which all offer different things.

London is London. But be warned, ok, Imperial is better than RVC or the School of Pharmacy, but still less of an inter-subject interaction and no real inter-college interaction according to parents and friends who went to London...

Go with the one you feel comfortable with. Both are Russell Groups and both are having major reviews after the RAE...
Reply 42
Snobpence17
Yeah, I understand and I agree, thank you for your reply. The main reason I'm hesitant about Imperial is because it seems a scary jump to take, has anyone else got anything to say? All opinions are much appreciated.

I know a person at Imperial doing CE (I'm at Southampton), we're in the same year.

Firstly, I'm going to assume that as you have Imperial lined up, that will be your firm over Oxford? Will Oxford be your insurance, or Southampton? (If you get an offer that is).

Secondly, from your first post it seems as if London has it all for you. Okay, the course may not be that sociable or whatever but the fast paced lifestyle in London will keep you on your feet. But then the work will too, guaranteed. Because I have a friend that is more intelligent than myself at Imperial and finds it difficult at times, I can make a good assumption that yes the work is harder. But then the work is worth it.

Are you taking into account the cost of living or not? All I know is that Imperial on average will be double of Southampton, with the most expensive at £230pw and an average of £150pw I'd say.
Reply 43
I just realised this is a year old thread and you would have made your mind up already. Apologies.
carrotboy
Are you taking into account the cost of living or not? All I know is that Imperial on average will be double of Southampton, with the most expensive at £230pw and an average of £150pw I'd say.

Tosh

More like 60-160

Thanks for the neg rep carrotboy, because obviously you will know more than me about the accomodation charges in london :wink:
imperial man!
Reply 46
Imperial! :biggrin: You can be with me! (Well that's if I get the grades).

People say Imperial will suck for social life. Look at the youtube channel for imperial, the summer ball looks awesome and the amount of communities you can join is massive. (You name it, Parkour, Juggling they have them all!)
Also it's in London, so Imperial might not have many girls, but it's in London. There's thousands of places to meet girls there :smile:

Latest