The Student Room Group

as level music composition

basically i need alot of help regarding composition. i do the ccea board and what we have been asked to do is to complete a free music compoition that last around one and a half to two minutes. i am thinking of doing an instrument piece there with, flute, clarinet, bassoon, piano, and i am using main theme which i have already created. however i need some advice on ,harmony, devices, structure, tonality, development, form, etcc which i would need to include to obtain thise high marks to secure an A
Reply 1
Ok, do you use sibelius software? If you do, then input your score into it then you can listen to it, then you can judge yourself whether the composition sounds any good. If you don't have sibelius then click on the link below and download the FREE demo copy. If you want the proper versions, sibelius student is around £100 and sibelius 5 (the latest) is around £300

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/download/get.pl?com=sh&prod=sibdemo

^^^ You can't save any of your work with the demo copy but you could input your composition into it and edit it then write it down on manuscript paper.
SuperMario88
i am using main theme which i have already created.

Just to get it clearly, are you doing a "theme and variations?" like at GCSE (obviously more advanced techniques though, as this IS AS level), or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Just to clear things up. Also, sibelius is a great program, its the only thing I use, but the free demo version is a bit useless for compositions which are going to be as long as a AS level one. Think of all the ways you could put it in and then just accidentally close it, or the pc crashes, and then all your time is wasted. You're far better off using the software at your school (if there is any there...)
If you only need to do 1'30" to 2' I would recommend doing something simple in ternary form (ABA). Start with a fanfare in a major key, lots of loud rising phrases etc., then do an easy modulation to the relative minor (i.e. do a V - I cadence into the second section) and write a nice slow melody with lots of legato and interweaving parts. Then finish off by bringing back your original melody, vary it slightly (for example, have an extra instrument doing something or change quavers into semiquavers); and make your last chord ff on the tonic.

Just make sure that when doing something this simple, you stick in a load of techniques. So use canon, repetition, swop the melody around in the middle section etc.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Also, lots of people put their compositions on sibeliusmusic.com (I did, and then got all my friends to vote for it to get it to number 1 :biggrin:) so you might find some ideas on there.

Latest