The Student Room Group

Do Uni's take this into consideration...?

I'm not sure how to say this, and I identified this a while ago but I didn't really pin this point on the head.

My Grandad(lived with my like a dad) passed away about 2 years ago almost now. Last year doing AS, was weird. It was like my mind didn't want to work but I tried my best. It's infuriateing because I don't know if it is just me or maybe stress can affect performance.

I didn't get spectacular AS and this might give me some C's for preditive grades for Uni. I wish it never happened, but there is nothing I can do. I feel better and I don't grieve or feel depressed as much so I'm trying my best at A2. I got my highest ever marking so far, a High B grade, few marks off an A in English.

Im worried about who I'm competing against for Uni. AAA predicted flawless prestine private school'd nonce's with perfect lvies and perfect hobbies they've done since they were 4.
You can get your tutor to mention your circumstances in your reference, and explain that this led to you not performing as well as you did. You imply that you didn't bring it up at the time with your school, so perhaps you could ask for a meeting with your tutor and bring along a relative, to explain how you've been feeling and how it affected you.
Universities do take into account special circumstances. As long as you work hard (and you obviously have been doing so) and you get good predicted grades, you should be absolutely fine :smile:
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs: Good luck with your application x
Reply 2
Universities are more interested in potential than AS grades. By all means bring it up in your PS. It shows you believe you can achieve at a high lelvel.
Reply 3
Depends...Oxford won't even interview in a lot of cases if your AS aren't very good.
Reply 4
JasonVowles
I'm not sure how to say this, and I identified this a while ago but I didn't really pin this point on the head.

My Grandad(lived with my like a dad) passed away about 2 years ago almost now. Last year doing AS, was weird. It was like my mind didn't want to work but I tried my best. It's infuriateing because I don't know if it is just me or maybe stress can affect performance.

I didn't get spectacular AS and this might give me some C's for preditive grades for Uni. I wish it never happened, but there is nothing I can do. I feel better and I don't grieve or feel depressed as much so I'm trying my best at A2. I got my highest ever marking so far, a High B grade, few marks off an A in English.

Im worried about who I'm competing against for Uni. AAA predicted flawless prestine private school'd nonce's with perfect lvies and perfect hobbies they've done since they were 4.

I truly feel sorry for your loss, and the situation it put you in, however there is no need to make this into a rant against those people who go to private schools.
If you went to one, you'd know that they are by far from "perfect" - they do not all have hobbies, or perfect lives.
You've taken this thread into a rant, instead of actually asking whether uni's take your situation into consideration.
It's people like you, just as much as the "posh *****" who instigate the "class divide".
Reply 5
You may well stand a chance with other places though.
JasonVowles

You should have told your exam board about your AS grades, because they give people extra marks and stuff for stress induced by circumstances such as a family tragedy etc (even death of pets is included I think).

Dont worry about private schools mate, I go to one... less than a fifth got AAA, and seriously, no-one has a perfect life, and - as at our school where everyone knows everything about everyone - a lot of people have serious issues... but still get good grades.
I just depends how the problems in your life affect you. Most people will also find a death will dishearten them, some use to death to focus their mind. Either way, you'll be fine, because Bs and Cs will still get you into Uni, and in some cases even relatively good ones.

Latest