The Student Room Group

Advice- dropping a subject after AS

This kind of follows on from the thread I made about the number of A-levels people are studying. I'm currently doing French, English lit, history and sociology at AS and am trying to decide whether or not to carry all 4 on to A2. It was my original intention to do 4 A2s, but after talking to a few Year 13s at my school, they've all advised me to drop one because the workload gets much bigger at A2, espcially since my subjects are all very time consuming. Those of you now on A2 or at uni, what did you think about the difference in workload between AS and A2? I'd especially appreciate the opinions of someone doing the same or similar subjects to me. If it helps at all, I'm aiming for AAAA (don't know if I'll actually get it or not though!) and I'm hoping to do French and Spanish (possibly modern languages with Italian as well) at a good uni. I already have an AVCE in ICT, taken in Years 10-11, but I only got a very high D :redface:

Scroll to see replies

I don't do any arts subjects, but for my subjects the workload has definitely increased, no question.

I'd say it depends on what you get at AS. If you manage to nail all 4 subjects this year (and have some UMS in hand), you might as well try all 4 at A2, and see how you get on. Anyway you can always drop one anytime.

It's really how much time you're willing to give up for the extra subject, and I'm afraid you'll have to do some work during free periods. Be prepared to become very cynical, and feel like dropping out of school to work fulltime in Tescos, at some point during the year.
kellywood_5
This kind of follows on from the thread I made about the number of A-levels people are studying. I'm currently doing French, English lit, history and sociology at AS and am trying to decide whether or not to carry all 4 on to A2. It was my original intention to do 4 A2s, but after talking to a few Year 13s at my school, they've all advised me to drop one because the workload gets much bigger at A2, espcially since my subjects are all very time consuming. Those of you now on A2 or at uni, what did you think about the difference in workload between AS and A2? I'd especially appreciate the opinions of someone doing the same or similar subjects to me. If it helps at all, I'm aiming for AAAA (don't know if I'll actually get it or not though!) and I'm hoping to do French and Spanish (possibly modern languages with Italian as well) at a good uni. I already have an AVCE in ICT, taken in Years 10-11, but I only got a very high D :redface:

The workload does get bigger. I think its more because there is coursework, but mainly as the topics you study are harder to grasp than at AS. Eng lit has a bigger workload, and you'll prob have written courework for this, hist and sociology.

i did AS Eng and Art with A2 Math Phys Chem and Certificate of enterprise. i was forcast AAA at a2 but only got ABB with AA at AS art and eng. so i'd say drop a subject and get AAA instead of ABBB and stuggle.

drop sociology as its thought of as a doss subject. maybe a cgood compromise is to do AS or GCSE spansh at a local college at night if u really wana work!!
Reply 3
magiccarpet
The workload does get bigger. I think its more because there is coursework, but mainly as the topics you study are harder to grasp than at AS. Eng lit has a bigger workload, and you'll prob have written courework for this, hist and sociology.

i did AS Eng and Art with A2 Math Phys Chem and Certificate of enterprise. i was forcast AAA at a2 but only got ABB with AA at AS art and eng. so i'd say drop a subject and get AAA instead of ABBB and stuggle.

drop sociology as its thought of as a doss subject. maybe a cgood compromise is to do AS or GCSE spansh at a local college at night if u really wana work!!

I'll have coursework for English lit, sociology and French at A2, but not for history; at AS I have coursework for English lit, sociology and history, but not French, so I'll have the same amount of coursework at A2 as at AS. I definitely won't be dropping French or English lit. The problem is that I love sociology and I really don't want to drop it, whereas I wouldn't be fussed about dropping history because it's all right but not great. So if I do decide to drop one, do I drop a subject I love and will, according to my teacher, probably get a very high A in just because it's seen as a doss, or do I drop a subject I'm not so keen on that I don't think I'll do as well in, even though it's more respected?
Reply 4
kellywood_5
I'll have coursework for English lit, sociology and French at A2, but not for history; at AS I have coursework for English lit, sociology and history, but not French, so I'll have the same amount of coursework at A2 as at AS. I definitely won't be dropping French or English lit. The problem is that I love sociology and I really don't want to drop it, whereas I wouldn't be fussed about dropping history because it's all right but not great. So if I do decide to drop one, do I drop a subject I love and will, according to my teacher, probably get a very high A in just because it's seen as a doss, or do I drop a subject I'm not so keen on that I don't think I'll do as well in, even though it's more respected?

I'm at uni now doing French and Russian. I have a strange case though; since our school was a language college (allegedly though we had about 10 AS/A2 linguists in total) and I took A/S French Spanish Maths Gov & Pol, getting AABE. I dropped Government and Politics owing to the fact it was a humanity and not my strength. I also however, was doing GCSEs in Italian (which given my background in language wasn't a problem) and Russian (which I had 1.5hrs a week of). Ignoring the GCSEs, the language work is a lot more voluminous, but since you're only doing French I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would say drop History. Sociology isn't a doss, and I knew a lot of history students who suffered from doing that subject along with others. Sociology is clearly something you like a lot and your motivation will help you, furthermore if you're going to get an A in it then that can only serve to make your life easier and mean you can concentrate on other subjects. I assume you have extracurricular things you do as well, I played league chess almost 3 nights a week and as well as having 5 subjects to do that knackered me so 3 A2s is quite enough. English lit and French will take up large chunks of your time, and there's no point doing something you don't want to. In the end, I started Japanese at Sheffield Uni but changed back to French and Russian. When I did maths I was always extremely enthusiastic (I even considered doing it at uni :eek: oh the very thought now sends chills down my spine) but despite this I scraped a C 7 marks above the boundary. Good luck with whatever you decide. :smile:
Reply 5
kellywood_5

Gack! Stick with the one you love! :smile: Definitely.

And as to whether to drop a subject that really depends on what sort of a worker you are... workload increases.. but that doesn't mean it's impossible. If you can trust yourself to stay in a bit more for the next year and make sure you're on top of your subjects you'll do fine. I spent my Friday lunchtime with my Physics tutor, learning SHM equations over my sandwich.. but each to their own :rolleyes:
Reply 6
I advise to drop one subject as the workload will increase. Since you are gonna do modern languages at uni, it is advisable to drop a non-language A-level.
Reply 7
MrSornia
I'm at uni now doing French and Russian. I have a strange case though; since our school was a language college (allegedly though we had about 10 AS/A2 linguists in total) and I took A/S French Spanish Maths Gov & Pol, getting AABE. I dropped Government and Politics owing to the fact it was a humanity and not my strength. I also however, was doing GCSEs in Italian (which given my background in language wasn't a problem) and Russian (which I had 1.5hrs a week of). Ignoring the GCSEs, the language work is a lot more voluminous, but since you're only doing French I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would say drop History. Sociology isn't a doss, and I knew a lot of history students who suffered from doing that subject along with others. Sociology is clearly something you like a lot and your motivation will help you, furthermore if you're going to get an A in it then that can only serve to make your life easier and mean you can concentrate on other subjects. I assume you have extracurricular things you do as well, I played league chess almost 3 nights a week and as well as having 5 subjects to do that knackered me so 3 A2s is quite enough. English lit and French will take up large chunks of your time, and there's no point doing something you don't want to. In the end, I started Japanese at Sheffield Uni but changed back to French and Russian. When I did maths I was always extremely enthusiastic (I even considered doing it at uni :eek: oh the very thought now sends chills down my spine) but despite this I scraped a C 7 marks above the boundary. Good luck with whatever you decide. :smile:

Thanks for your help :smile: I wish my school was a languages college, but I've only ever been to do French, so I'm hoping to teach myself a bit of Spanish before I go to uni to get a head start. I want to learn Italian as well; doing 3 languages with 2 ab-initio is an option (Durham and Hull let you do that) but if I decide that would be too much, I'll just do French and ab-initio Spanish and maybe teach myself Italian later on. So what do you think of degree level French compared to A-level? And what's Sheffield like?
trev
I advise to drop one subject as the workload will increase. Since you are gonna do modern languages at uni, it is advisable to drop a non-language A-level.

I agree - drop an AS. It shouldn't affect your chances of getting into a top uni, as they all ask for 3As max - no point overdoing it on that level unless you really enjoy the extra subjects. Which uni do you want to study at anyway? One or two of my friends have applied to do modern languages at uni this year.
Reply 9
White_redrose
I agree - drop an AS. It shouldn't affect your chances of getting into a top uni, as they all ask for 3As max - no point overdoing it on that level unless you really enjoy the extra subjects. Which uni do you want to study at anyway? One or two of my friends have applied to do modern languages at uni this year.

Cool. I'm not sure yet, although I have a list of about 13 that look good. Just have to wait for the new prospectuses to come out to help me narrow it down.
come to APU with me!
Reply 11
magiccarpet
come to APU with me!

I went to a summer school there in Year 11! Little too close to home for me though as I live in Essex.
yah so do i i walk to uni from home everyday. is wel gud everyone here lives at home nearly. youl like it alot it has well excellent computing fcilities n the staff are all lovely and helpful cos its quite smal
Reply 13
magiccarpet
yah so do i i walk to uni from home everyday. is wel gud everyone here lives at home nearly. youl like it alot it has well excellent computing fcilities n the staff are all lovely and helpful cos its quite smal

I'd hate living at home and going to uni- one of the best things about it is going to be moving away and getting some idependence! I couldn't exactly walk there every day anyway as I live in Southend, so I'd have to either catch a train or learn to drive.
Reply 14
kellywood_5

If I had to advise you purely on what you have said above, I'd go for dropping Sociology.

- It's applied, so has less absolute clout.
- You don't need it.
- Forget about whether you like it or not, if you want to be really hard-nosed about the decision.
- It's the languages which matter.

Aitch

and just so that you'll believe I'm not talking tosh...

B.A. (French) (Bristol)
M. Litt. (Littérature anglaise) (Bordeaux)
Dip. Ed. (London Inst. Ed.)
if u were to drop one, from a good unis point of view- history, english and french are the ones u shud carry on and they are all related to languages. in my experience doing both history and english at A2 is a lot of work. Its quite important to chose the one u like best out of Sociology and history, coz either will probably be quite a lot of work at A2
Reply 16
Don't listen to everyone who tells you to drop sociology just because it is 'less respected' than History. Universities won't care, seriously. Carry on with the three you enjoy the most. I dropped History after AS simply because I wasn't enjoying it as much as my other three (English, Geog and Psych), and I managed to get five offers from good universities even though psychology is apparently a 'doss' subject.
Reply 17
~Sam~
Don't listen to everyone who tells you to drop sociology just because it is 'less respected' than History. Universities won't care, seriously. Carry on with the three you enjoy the most. I dropped History after AS simply because I wasn't enjoying it as much as my other three (English, Geog and Psych), and I managed to get five offers from good universities even though psychology is apparently a 'doss' subject.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I think it will be either carry on all 4 or drop history, depending on AS results and how mad I'm feeling at the time!
I know how you feel. Atm i'm doing Eng lit, German, psych and geog AS and am going back and forth over whether to drop geog or German. I was sure it was gonna be geog but i had a disasterous oral mock in German so i'm not so sure...although i know German will complement English better which is what i want to do at uni and i'm scared now having read how all these amazing applicants can't get into any decent unis for English....
Reply 19
Mrs Rickman
I know how you feel. Atm i'm doing Eng lit, German, psych and geog AS and am going back and forth over whether to drop geog or German. I was sure it was gonna be geog but i had a disasterous oral mock in German so i'm not so sure...although i know German will complement English better which is what i want to do at uni and i'm scared now having read how all these amazing applicants can't get into any decent unis for English....

Very competitve subject- as for me, the nutter who for some strange reason wants to do languages, I should have it slightly easier! I've still thought several times though that I'd love to drop French- in fact, I felt like that today! Just when it gets hard :frown:

Latest