The Student Room Group

Help! Portfolio Questions!!

I have a few questions regarding putting together a portfolio for Illustration...

1) Do we have to include life drawings? I have loads of sketchs of how I work and my anatomy skills are very good but I have no life drawings D:

2) I have 14 finished pieces including 4 watercolour, 2 acrylic and 8 digital art A3/A2, I worry that it not enough pieces. I dislike all my older work so I do not want to include it

3) If we have canvas's do we put them outside the portfolio folder and instead next to it.

4) Do the interviewers go through your portfolio with you present or not and do we get to display our portfolio or do we just have to drop it off.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Sallywooz
I have a few questions regarding putting together a portfolio for Illustration...

Firstly, what college/university and course level (foundation, undergraduate, etc) are you applying for? Although there's a general outline that most institutions look for, they can differ. :smile:

1) Do we have to include life drawings? I have loads of sketchs of how I work and my anatomy skills are very good but I have no life drawings D:

Yes, usually tutors/courses like to see a diverse range of media and approaches. The more variety the better. It's not absolutely necessary as acceptance is subjective and dependent on the individual applicant's strength. It is encouraged, though. :smile:

2) I have 14 finished pieces including 4 watercolour, 2 acrylic and 8 digital art A3/A2, I worry that it not enough pieces. I dislike all my older work so I do not want to include it

That should be sufficient. Quality over quantity is what tutors look for. They usually suggest including only your 'best' and most recent pieces.

3) If we have canvas's do we put them outside the portfolio folder and instead next to it.

Tutors tend to prefer everything within the folder. If the canvas is large, they prefer photographs showing the canvas, - or even digital representations. It's important to photograph these canvases correctly with the appropriate lighting where required.

4) Do the interviewers go through your portfolio with you present or not and do we get to display our portfolio or do we just have to drop it off.

Thanks.

Again, this is dependent on the college/university and course level you're applying to. Generally, foundation courses are portfolio review only, no interview (This is how the foundation courses at the University of the Arts London function, anyway), whereas undergraduate BA degree courses require an interview as well. The institution you're applying to should specify this either on their website/course leaflet or during an Open Day.

Good luck. :smile:

Latest