The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Buy beer not books.

A.
Reply 2
Hopefully I'll be able to but Beer and Books... Don't have a problem deciding on a particular beer, but if you have any thoughts I'd be interested....
Reply 3
JeremyG
Hi Guys,
Any of you guys already at Cam got any recommendations for how to spend my hard earned cash on books for my first year? Having studied the reading lists it seems that there are about 40 core texts for the first year, surely we don't have to buy all of them at about £1000 in total? Which ones should I buy first and why?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks :smile:

I am going to wait till I get there before buying any books. My parents decided to get he the Anatomy and Physiology Colouring books already though. What college are you going to?
Reply 4
Churchill, I know it's not one of the really famous ones but my Physics/Chemistry/Maths tutor went there and TBH he's the reason I applied in the first place. Which colleges are you guys at?
Reply 5
Last year I bought a grand total of two books new, and one 2nd hand, coming in at about £95 total. Frankly you don't really need any, especially before you come up, see if your DoS recommends any, and quite often you can get them 2nd hand off upper years. The college libraries will have multiple copies of most of the useful ones. I'm a 2nd year medic at Clare btw.
Reply 6
yeh, wait til u get here.
if there's one book u can get, its the anatomy colouring book (2nd hand = bad).

the core books you prob need are:
Physiology: Guyton & Hall
Anatomy: The colouring book + Instant Anatomy+ an atlas + a decent theory book.
Biochem: Instant notes is great, esp for revision. May actually be able to get away with just using that book, if your main aim is to pass. They all say you need the course book (can't remember name) its ok, but i didn't think worth it.
MedSoc: Medical Sociology - course book you have to read, but nothing more
Reply 7
DanMushMan

Don't buy bloody Scambler! Rip off and waste of time!

I'd recommend VVP (Voet, Voet and Pratt) Essentials of Biochemistry or Alberts et al Molecular Biology of the Cell (I think that's what it's called) for Biochem, but your college will have ooooooooodles of both of these because they are a staple for both natscis and medics.
Reply 8
Helenia
Don't buy bloody Scambler! Rip off and waste of time!

I'd recommend VVP (Voet, Voet and Pratt) Essentials of Biochemistry or Alberts et al Molecular Biology of the Cell (I think that's what it's called) for Biochem, but your college will have ooooooooodles of both of these because they are a staple for both natscis and medics.

or one borrowable and another reference, like Magd.
And Scambler is pretty essential, but not the most exciting thing. Can get it off the year above.
Reply 9
Thanks for your help. I'm off to amazon to stock up on some pre-uni reading!
Reply 10
don't buy any books before you come up. it's such a waste when you probably won't need to have your own copy AND you can get a 20% discount on CUP books once you arrive anyway
DanMushMan
yeh, wait til u get here.
if there's one book u can get, its the anatomy colouring book (2nd hand = bad).

the core books you prob need are:
Physiology: Guyton & Hall
Anatomy: The colouring book + Instant Anatomy+ an atlas + a decent theory book.
Biochem: Instant notes is great, esp for revision. May actually be able to get away with just using that book, if your main aim is to pass. They all say you need the course book (can't remember name) its ok, but i didn't think worth it.

Hmmm. Soz mate, but i think alot of this is bumph.

Books you need to buy. (essential to buy)
Physiology - Guyton & Hall (this is essential)
Anatomy - don't bother with a stupid atlas, they are pointless. Buy Moore and dalley or something like that. No need to till you get there - check them out in the colelge library and decide which suits you best
Biochem - Voet Voet Pratt. Perfect. Scambler is OTT in my opinion.
MedSoc book - don't buy it, borrow it from library. You'll only need it for one term, then will never need it again. ever.

But frankly you needn't think about this whatsoever for another....6/7 months!

(PS keep eyes open tho in charity shops. My gran found a copy of voet and voet (not + pratt) which sorted me for biochem for 50p.
Reply 12
I heard that they use another physiol book for this year's first years' - Berne and Levy IIRC.
foolfarian
Hmmm. Soz mate, but i think alot of this is bumph.

Books you need to buy. (essential to buy)
Physiology - Guyton & Hall (this is essential)
Anatomy - don't bother with a stupid atlas, they are pointless. Buy Moore and dalley or something like that. No need to till you get there - check them out in the colelge library and decide which suits you best
Biochem - Voet Voet Pratt. Perfect. Scambler is OTT in my opinion.
MedSoc book - don't buy it, borrow it from library. You'll only need it for one term, then will never need it again. ever.

But frankly you needn't think about this whatsoever for another....6/7 months!

(PS keep eyes open tho in charity shops. My gran found a copy of voet and voet (not + pratt) which sorted me for biochem for 50p.

bumph? ok...
we seem to agree with physiology and biochem (tho I used instant notes much more than VVP). Medsoc - if you've got a decent library, fine. (and at exam time everyone needs a copy). If you don't, well then...
Anatomy - atlas is pretty necessary IMO. Instant Anatomy is good and so is the colouring book.
Reply 14
visesh
I heard that they use another physiol book for this year's first years' - Berne and Levy IIRC.

You can use either really. Or neither, as I did :wink:
DanMushMan
bumph? ok...
we seem to agree with physiology and biochem (tho I used instant notes much more than VVP). Medsoc - if you've got a decent library, fine. (and at exam time everyone needs a copy). If you don't, well then...
Anatomy - atlas is pretty necessary IMO. Instant Anatomy is good and so is the colouring book.

Instant anatomy is great, but isn't what you would call an atlas. I bought an atlas (grants) and regretted it cos everything in the atlas was in moore and dalley anyway.
no need to buy instant anatomy though. just find someone with the CD who is generous.

Latest

Trending

Trending