The Student Room Group
Reply 1
LondonBoy
I am currently in year 12, i really enjoy mathematics and reget not having chosen further maths, is it possible to do some sort of combined degree such as maths/economics at a good university ( i hope to get 5A's this year) without doing further maths, i understand that oxbridge i wouldnt be able to do the step papers so its a no no there but what about others

thanks.

You can do STEP as they only require single maths knowledge I think. Nowhere actually requires you to have done further maths, though the top places do prefer it. Finally, the starting point of almost all maths degrees is from the "common core" at A-level (ie. C1-C4/P1-P3) as due to the wide variety of A-level modules there are people have done different combinations. You should be fine.
Reply 2
You can apply for Cambridge without further maths, though they will be extremly suspicious if you didn't pick it when you could have and it would reduce your chances quite bit. It's not out of the question though, and your offer will be different, it will be STEP I/II instead of II/III, which you can do with single maths alevel knowledge. The other major barrier would be once you get to Cambridge, they really do just assume you know further maths material like the back of your hand, so you might struggle for a bit with that. I think Oxford would be similar but maybe a bit laxer. It is done though, I know somebody at Johns who only did single, and she's definitely 'packing a punch' as they say.
Reply 3
I've applied for Maths/Economics at 'top end' uni's and have 2 outa 3 offers so far.
So for joint honours it's definately fine.
Reply 4
i think its preferred but not a necesaty
LondonBoy
I am currently in year 12, i really enjoy mathematics and reget not having chosen further maths, is it possible to do some sort of combined degree such as maths/economics at a good university ( i hope to get 5A's this year) without doing further maths, i understand that oxbridge i wouldnt be able to do the step papers so its a no no there but what about others

thanks.

Megsy on this forum found herself in a similar predicament last year, and simply worked like crazy to cover AS Further Maths over the summer, and then joined her school FM group this year. With the recent syllabus changes Further Maths is much more accessible, and an AS in it isn't too much of a challenge [especially for the boards where FP1 is an AS unit].

You probably know that Mechanics are the best applied units [if you're looking towards Maths] and I imagine that for Economics all three are well received. If anything going on to do Further Maths largely on your own back looks even better- it shows a real proactive approach to preparing for your degree. Knowing people who have gone for uni maths, it is best to do Further Maths [at least to AS] as it does give more of a preparation for the style of university mathematics.

The key thing is that you have plenty of time. You could always start doing an extra unit [or even two, but as you're doing 5AS it's probably best not to], and then take the exam for that one in the summer. Then you'll just be two short of AS Further Maths- which won't be such a hurdle.
Reply 6
LondonBoy

thanks.

I did only AS standard maths last year, then decided i would apply for maths at uni and picked up AS+A2 FM in addition to my other subjects.
Provided you're prepared to work hard over the summer and motivate yourself you can do the entire further maths A-Level in one year, and universities will be impressed by that.
However, i don't think having only one A-Level will be too detrimental to your application, though you may be required to get higher grades without FM.
Reply 7
LondonBoy
i understand that oxbridge i wouldnt be able to do the step papers so its a no no there but what about others

thanks.

i'm doing Fmaths and i'm aving donig STEP, lol. Its not a test about knowledge, that much, but assesses how a person thinks. It is more of a Maths IQ test i suppose. They expect you do you thinkgs like differentiate, work out weird algebra stuff, without the question telling you; that is why it is harder than A-level maths + F maths.

P.S. the fact that songlt A-level people do only STEP 1 and 2 and Fmaths peopel do 2 and d3 sorts out this discrepancy between any further skill that you may be potentialyl disadvantaged on...its a thing to ensure everyone from all walks of life are on a level pegging when it comes to applications.
Reply 8
I'm living proof that you can do degree level maths without having done further maths! I got offers from some of the top uni's like Nottingham and Warwick without it and accepted one from UEA which I'm thoroughly enjoying and it's a brilliant uni! I was worried the same as you are but they go over everything covered in further maths again anyway, maybe slightly more quickly but its not difficult to pick it up! I haven't really felt that I've been at a disadvantage, I might not have seen some of the material before but they teach it in different way so that if you have done further maths you might learn a different way to do it and my friend that has done further maths said he couldn't remember lots of it anyway so acted as good revision!
Don't worry you'll be able to do it!
Reply 9
curlyc3
I'm living proof that you can do degree level maths without having done further maths! I got offers from some of the top uni's like Nottingham and Warwick without it and accepted one from UEA which I'm thoroughly enjoying and it's a brilliant uni! I was worried the same as you are but they go over everything covered in further maths again anyway, maybe slightly more quickly but its not difficult to pick it up! I haven't really felt that I've been at a disadvantage, I might not have seen some of the material before but they teach it in different way so that if you have done further maths you might learn a different way to do it and my friend that has done further maths said he couldn't remember lots of it anyway so acted as good revision!
Don't worry you'll be able to do it!

what is UEA? uni east anglia? why did you choose that over nottingham and warwick :confused:
Reply 10
Phil23
what is UEA? uni east anglia? why did you choose that over nottingham and warwick :confused:

it is university of east anglia... i get it mixed up with UWE quiyte alot
Reply 11
You were right in thinking that UEA stands for university of east anglia! I chose it coz the maths department seemed a lot friendlier and there was a lot less pressure! Thought I'd get more support at UEA and a lecturer there sorta inspired me a bit! Also it meant i got to stay at home.
Reply 12
Just got an offer for Maths and Economics at York without Further Maths so there you go.
Reply 13
i got offers from 5 unies for Maths n Economics without Further Maths as well....
if u reli wanna do maths in uni, then i think u should do AS FM in yr 13

Latest