The Student Room Group

Philosophy at LSE or UCL?

Scroll to see replies

ditto what dannyboy said. people who want to go out all the time do go out all the time, but there aren't so many of them at LSE.

if you're doing single honours philosophy then in many ways UCL is the better option. take a look at the undergrad courses offered by LSE; there aren't very many, and a good number fall under the philosophy of science and social science, and formal logic. there's nothing wrong with that per se, but your interests may lie elsewhere. i'm a current philosophy and economics student at LSE, but at the moment I can't vouch for the quality of teaching as I'm only doing the introductory first year course. it's a very general overview of the subject, so in that sense doesn't tell you much about the higher level courses.

try not to let the prestige factor affect your decision too much. in terms of employment opportunities, i think the difference between an lse and a ucl degree will be minimal.
DannyBoy123
I know the Philosophy course at LSE is supposed to be very good from what others have told me.

On the other hand Ricky Gervais did study Philosophy at UCL so it's swings and roundabouts really lol.

So did Chris Martin, incidentally.

But I would choose LSE. Simply because of overall reputation.
Pillar of Autumn
So did Chris Martin, incidentally.

But I would choose LSE. Simply because of overall reputation.

although the difference is really quite negligible. fair enough to go for the prestige if you are an international and understandably want to ensure the greatest return on your investment. otherwise, i think you should really consider the other factors involved, especially when there are such significant differences between the two courses.
Reply 23
Reply 24
LSE....ill be there next year....fingers crossed. That should be reason enough for anyone to go..:wink:
Reply 25
LSE have many rich internationals :wink:
Reply 26
Haha...well I actually saw UCL today and sort of loved it, plus I prefer the kind of course there will be there, so I'm leaning that way now...

Though I would feel an idiot rejecting the LSE.

But should probably try and rise above that. It's like going to Oxbridge just because it's Oxbridge. You should try and go somewhere for the right reasons...

Meh, thanks for advice everyone xxx :smile:

Peace and Love xx
Reply 27
bj_945
Haha...well I actually saw UCL today and sort of loved it, plus I prefer the kind of course there will be there, so I'm leaning that way now...

Though I would feel an idiot rejecting the LSE.

But should probably try and rise above that. It's like going to Oxbridge just because it's Oxbridge. You should try and go somewhere for the right reasons...

Meh, thanks for advice everyone xxx :smile:

Peace and Love xx

I know - UCL was lovely when I went there too but the admissions stats the man gave us were not encouraging :frown: Like 60 places out of the 250 people they invite to open day. And I completely messed up the test - I'm angry with myself because it was actually quite easy I just got stressed with the time :frown:
Reply 28
emioly
I know - UCL was lovely when I went there too but the admissions stats the man gave us were not encouraging :frown: Like 60 places out of the 250 people they invite to open day. And I completely messed up the test - I'm angry with myself because it was actually quite easy I just got stressed with the time :frown:

Oh right you've already had the test? So they do it in more than one session? Cos' I've got it in January.

Yeh I know it's really weird, before I wasn't really thinking about unis much apart from that I really wanted Cambridge. But increasingly I've realised maybe I want London even more, partly from seeing UCL today...I don't know if I'd reject Cambridge for UCL, but...maybe :s-smilie:.

So what's that, slightly over a 4:1 ratio. Hmm. Yeh that's not great, but not as awful as it could be tbh. English and Economics are over 20:1 at UC. And it's like 10:1 ratio overall for Philo isn't it, so we're halfway there. 600 applicants and we're down to 250. Just need to get into the final 60...

Actually is it 60 places, or 60 offers they give out?

I'm sure you'll be fine:hugs:hopefully we both get it:smile:.

Peace and Love x
Reply 29
bj_945
Oh right you've already had the test? So they do it in more than one session? Cos' I've got it in January.

Yeh I know it's really weird, before I wasn't really thinking about unis much apart from that I really wanted Cambridge. But increasingly I've realised maybe I want London even more, partly from seeing UCL today...I don't know if I'd reject Cambridge for UCL, but...maybe :s-smilie:.

So what's that, slightly over a 4:1 ratio. Hmm. Yeh that's not great, but not as awful as it could be tbh. English and Economics are over 20:1 at UC. And it's like 10:1 ratio overall for Philo isn't it, so we're halfway there. 600 applicants and we're down to 250. Just need to get into the final 60...

Actually is it 60 places, or 60 offers they give out?

I'm sure you'll be fine:hugs:hopefully we both get it:smile:.

Peace and Love x

I hope so!
No, he said it's something like 40/50 places and 60 offers because they expect some people not to take them up on it. And yeah, they do it in 4 different sessions I think aaand they give out offers/rejections after each one so I'll probs hear in just over a month :shifty:
I was having a mini panic the other day about going to London. I used to live there and I couldn't remember why I liked it lol but then when I went to the open day I was really glad because I loved it all. It was reassuring after Cambridge becuase I realised that a rejection wouldn't actually be tooo bad.
Reply 30
emioly
I hope so!
No, he said it's something like 40/50 places and 60 offers because they expect some people not to take them up on it. And yeah, they do it in 4 different sessions I think aaand they give out offers/rejections after each one so I'll probs hear in just over a month :shifty:
I was having a mini panic the other day about going to London. I used to live there and I couldn't remember why I liked it lol but then when I went to the open day I was really glad because I loved it all. It was reassuring after Cambridge becuase I realised that a rejection wouldn't actually be tooo bad.

Yeh part of the attraction is just London. I :heart:London.

Especially when I was at Picadilly Cicus today, the whole thing just makes me really happy. So many people living together, so much happening, it's so kl. And I love our attempt at replicating Times Square!

Kk, well good luck. Hope we manage it...
Reply 31
Original post by made_of_fail
ditto what dannyboy said. people who want to go out all the time do go out all the time, but there aren't so many of them at LSE.

if you're doing single honours philosophy then in many ways UCL is the better option. take a look at the undergrad courses offered by LSE; there aren't very many, and a good number fall under the philosophy of science and social science, and formal logic. there's nothing wrong with that per se, but your interests may lie elsewhere. i'm a current philosophy and economics student at LSE, but at the moment I can't vouch for the quality of teaching as I'm only doing the introductory first year course. it's a very general overview of the subject, so in that sense doesn't tell you much about the higher level courses.

try not to let the prestige factor affect your decision too much. in terms of employment opportunities, i think the difference between an lse and a ucl degree will be minimal.

Hi, I'm deciding between UCL and LSE as well. Did you like the Philosophy course at LSE? :-)

Quick Reply