The Student Room Group

What happens if one was to miss their offer of a 2:1?

Hey all.. Does anyone know if it's possible to get into medicine if they had a 2:1 offer and just missed it and got a 2:2. Also, how do universities find out the grades because in A Levels the exam boards feed them over to the university. So say if I missed my 2:1 by 1/2 a percent.. we are sometimes allowed for it to be bumped up to a 2:1 depending on a viva and due to previous extenuating circumstances.

Reply 1
end of career path, unless you are willing to work for start-up companies which employ people without university or even illegal immigrants

end of story
Reply 2
Talk to your university about it, explain that it's the end of your Medicine dream if you miss the 2:1, if you're VERY close to a 2:1 they might be compassionate. All you can do is ask / beg / plead / cry. Is your offer at the same uni? Might have a better chance if it is... get various staff members discussing your case internally.
Reply 3
You would be very, very lucky (if your offer was for a 2i) to get in... If you get a 2i from a high 2ii thanks to viva, you have a 2i. Simple as.

Get your head down, work your ass off, and stop wasting time with defeatest thought!
Reply 4
The problem is my university screwed up my exams as I was in a car crash. So I had to take them a year later with 1 week notice. The problem is if the medical school gets the grades before I do them I may be screwed but is this the case? Is there any graduates on medicine courses on this forum. If so, how did you confirm your grades? Hopefully they phone us and we send them in so if I do miss my grade slightly and get it bumped up I could send the right results through. Also, I haven't got an offer yet, I'm just thinking in advance. However, I have 2 interviews so praying that I get at least one offer. =)
Reply 5
I had to provide a copy of my undergrad transcript to be allowed to register on the course (along with A-Level and GCSE certificates!!!) I only graduated from my doctorate the week after my first term at med school started, but they weren't too worried about that.
Reply 6
A friend of mine got onto a fast-track med course with a 2ii
Reply 7
AlmostAVet
A friend of mine got onto a fast-track med course with a 2ii

HAving applied with a 2ii/2ii prediction, to a uni who take 2iis and the big, fat, nasty GAMSAT exam by any chance? :wink:
Reply 8
Someone on Admissions forum got admitted to Newcastle's GEP with a 2:2. Apparently they just worked their ass off post-degree to show the university how badly they wanted it and they were given a place. Otherwise it's GAMSAT or MSc/PhD route, or alternatively, doing one of the very few accredited Access to Medicine courses. Kings say they'll take a 2:2 student with improved performance at postgraduate level for example. UEA say they'll take a degree student with less than a 2:1 provided they have an Access to Medicine qualification. There are options but the worse your marks are, the more obstacles there are going to be.
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies =) you're right though fluffy, hell I should spend more of my time working my ass off. I take it that UCAS don't have our degree results then and that we will have to provide them so if my above scenerio occurs then the medical school wont have to know.
Reply 10
Fluffy
HAving applied with a 2ii/2ii prediction, to a uni who take 2iis and the big, fat, nasty GAMSAT exam by any chance? :wink:

No idea about the GAMSAT (in fact, what is a GAMSAT??) but the course was the Cambridge Grad course in Medicine.
Reply 11
It really does depend on the uni, extenuating circumstances etc. My uni let's you do the viva if you miss out by a few% but then again I know someone who missed his grades by half a percent or something ridiculous and now works as a regional manager for barclays (don't know if that is a gd thing or not...)...I've applied for NHS management as a back-up but will only take it up if i miss a 2:1 (they only want a 2:2)
I'm a grad and went into medicine straight from my previous degree. When I got my degree result I just emailed the med school and then sent them a trascript. If you get a 2i with a viva then it's a 2i and you've met your offer - your transcript will probably show a breakdown of all your marks and then your overall degree class (i.e. the one you were awarded post-viva).

Your med schools won't receive your degree result before you do, there's no facility for that - they won't even know when your results are due out. It took me over a week after I got my degree result to calm down and email them!

Latest

Trending

Trending