LSE :biggrin:

But you haven't even started yet, so you can't possibly know!:biggrin:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
edwardruth
But you haven't even started yet, so you can't possibly know!:biggrin:

I'm not sure about the other two universities but LSE's Anthro course looks really interesting :biggrin:
edwardruth
Has anybody got any advice about how to choose between UCL, LSE and Goldsmiths for Anthropology?

You pick UCL if you want to do Biological Anthropology & Material Culture aswell as Social Anthropology.

You pick LSE if you only really want to do Social Anthropology.

And without sounding too harsh I don't think it would be wise to pick Goldsmiths over LSE/UCL.
Reply 23
mypaperheart
You pick UCL if you want to do Biological Anthropology & Material Culture aswell as Social Anthropology.

You pick LSE if you only really want to do Social Anthropology.

And without sounding too harsh I don't think it would be wise to pick Goldsmiths over LSE/UCL.

Thanks :smile: But why not Goldsmiths - the offer is much the same as LSE for example.
edwardruth
Thanks :smile: But why not Goldsmiths - the offer is much the same as LSE for example.

Yes but the reputation of the two are nowhere near the same!
Reply 25
Hi all,

Just graduated in Soc Anth from LSE.

Firstly, don't worry about grades. If you meet the requirements, then apply. It may be competitive, but a real desire to do the course, and that transmitted through your PS should see you fine.

When I asked a department member specifically about what s/he looks for in PS, they said a clear passion for the subject. That's, above all, what you need to convey.

Also, the course requirements are misleading. Never judge the value of a course by the grades it requires to get in. I spoke to members of the department about why LSE's requirements for Soc anth were so low given that it is considered to be 2nd best in the world for this subject (and you can't really compare it to the American stream of anthropology (cultural anth) anyway!) and the idea is that they are interested in giving a wider selection of people a chance. What you would expect from an anth department! Basically they know that sometimes people get lower grades than they wanted/expected or are perhaps not in an environment where they can achieve AAA but they may still be the best at anthropology.

Also, regarding UCL, LSE or Goldsmiths... I do not consider Goldsmiths a rival to either of these. In fact, I haven't heard it talked about as such. UCL is fine, and good for those preferring certain areas of interest, but LSE is incomparable in terms of teaching. AFter all, it was pretty much where social anthropology was created. You could put this down to my opinion, but having spent my time there, I've heard a lot about what the people who know think, and you get a sense from the readings about where is cutting edge. To my knowledge, i've not read an article or book by someone out of Goldsmiths. And only a few from UCL. Sussex is brilliant and so is SOAS. And these, for social anthropology, are much better respected than Goldsmiths (and even UCL). Of course, you may not be after 'the best degree' or 'the most respected course', and lifestyle factors should come into your decision.

Anyway... there's my two cents!
claudy23
Hi all,

Just graduated in Soc Anth from LSE.

Firstly, don't worry about grades. If you meet the requirements, then apply. It may be competitive, but a real desire to do the course, and that transmitted through your PS should see you fine.

When I asked a department member specifically about what s/he looks for in PS, they said a clear passion for the subject. That's, above all, what you need to convey.

Also, the course requirements are misleading. Never judge the value of a course by the grades it requires to get in. I spoke to members of the department about why LSE's requirements for Soc anth were so low given that it is considered to be 2nd best in the world for this subject (and you can't really compare it to the American stream of anthropology (cultural anth) anyway!) and the idea is that they are interested in giving a wider selection of people a chance. What you would expect from an anth department! Basically they know that sometimes people get lower grades than they wanted/expected or are perhaps not in an environment where they can achieve AAA but they may still be the best at anthropology.

Also, regarding UCL, LSE or Goldsmiths... I do not consider Goldsmiths a rival to either of these. In fact, I haven't heard it talked about as such. UCL is fine, and good for those preferring certain areas of interest, but LSE is incomparable in terms of teaching. AFter all, it was pretty much where social anthropology was created. You could put this down to my opinion, but having spent my time there, I've heard a lot about what the people who know think, and you get a sense from the readings about where is cutting edge. To my knowledge, i've not read an article or book by someone out of Goldsmiths. And only a few from UCL. Sussex is brilliant and so is SOAS. And these, for social anthropology, are much better respected than Goldsmiths (and even UCL). Of course, you may not be after 'the best degree' or 'the most respected course', and lifestyle factors should come into your decision.

Anyway... there's my two cents!

Hi, i just got an offer for soc anth at LSE, and would love to go there. However, isn't living in London ludicrously expensive? How do you cope with it if you don't have rich parents?
Reply 27
T-o dore
Hi, i just got an offer for soc anth at LSE, and would love to go there. However, isn't living in London ludicrously expensive? How do you cope with it if you don't have rich parents?

It is more expensive than anywhere else in the UK, but the government recognises this and you get a larger loan amount. If you budget and stay on top of your spending, I think it's fairly easy to live on the loan. I managed fine but a couple of friends got some part-time jobs for some extra cash to play around with.

Considering LSE's the home of soc anth and generally considered the best degree for that subject, it's worth it. If you're not so bothered about the social anth in particular (i.e. you want to study bio anth as well etc.) and you are less concerned with the prestigiousness of the degree and want to look more at uni experience and lifestyle than def keep the other options open.

Good luck with your other offers! And if you want me to do a quick breakdown of the costs of living in london so you can cross-reference with the loan amounts, let me know.
claudy23
It is more expensive than anywhere else in the UK, but the government recognises this and you get a larger loan amount. If you budget and stay on top of your spending, I think it's fairly easy to live on the loan. I managed fine but a couple of friends got some part-time jobs for some extra cash to play around with.

Considering LSE's the home of soc anth and generally considered the best degree for that subject, it's worth it. If you're not so bothered about the social anth in particular (i.e. you want to study bio anth as well etc.) and you are less concerned with the prestigiousness of the degree and want to look more at uni experience and lifestyle than def keep the other options open.

Good luck with your other offers! And if you want me to do a quick breakdown of the costs of living in london so you can cross-reference with the loan amounts, let me know.

Oh yeah im mostly interested in social anthropology, so LSE's course looks incredible. I would be interested in switching to anth and law - when would the best time to find out about this be?

Also, if you have time to do a quick breakdown of costs that would be a massive help. Thanks!
Reply 29
T-o dore
Oh yeah im mostly interested in social anthropology, so LSE's course looks incredible. I would be interested in switching to anth and law - when would the best time to find out about this be?

Also, if you have time to do a quick breakdown of costs that would be a massive help. Thanks!

just posted in your other thread. to reply to this, cost depends very much on your personality. i know some people who are very good at knowing where you can get free stuff. so they would go to company talks and get the free food from there. and you will get better at finding bargains as a student. see my other post, dont worry about money.
Ahhh Keep this thread going! :smile:
I bet I'll get a rejection soon though...
good luck ! ! ! ! !!
thanks, I see you have an offer, lucky!!
Reply 33
lizfairy
Ahhh Keep this thread going! :smile:
I bet I'll get a rejection soon though...

Hold tight - hopefully you'll get some good news in the new year!

T-o dore

If you stick with some of us londoners for the first few weeks you'll soon see the cheap places and where to find the bargains.

I'm lucky that I only have about a 35 minute journey to and from the school and home, so I'm planning on going back if I ever run out of something expensive which I know is in the cupboards at home. :p:
hey! I've applied for social anth. at LSE as well and still haven't been rejected or accepted yet... don't know if this is good or bad news but I'd really love the opportunity to go study here! the problem is, is that i was only predicted 36 points in my IB and am worried that since the the requirement is 37 points that they'll reject me, however there's a chance that my predicted grades will be revised and boosted up to 37 points and if so hopefully I can let LSE know before they make a decision, I'm not sure if this will make a huge difference on my application but it's worth a try.
michelle-e-p
hey! I've applied for social anth. at LSE as well and still haven't been rejected or accepted yet... don't know if this is good or bad news but I'd really love the opportunity to go study here! the problem is, is that i was only predicted 36 points in my IB and am worried that since the the requirement is 37 points that they'll reject me, however there's a chance that my predicted grades will be revised and boosted up to 37 points and if so hopefully I can let LSE know before they make a decision, I'm not sure if this will make a huge difference on my application but it's worth a try.

hey, i'm in the same position as you, no offer or rejection; leaves us completely in the dark as there have been both offers and rejections made for anthropology next.
I bet I'll have a rejection on Tuesday... If not we have just the rest of this month to wait.
Can anyone please tell me how many spaces are actually available for undergraduates studying social anthropolgy? For some reason i think its only 9?! is that true?!
Reply 37
BA Applications 2010: 252
BA First year students 2010: 26

BSc Applications 2010: 80
BSc First year students 2010: 12

These are the amount who got in to Anthropology BSC/BA
Reply 38
Hi just wondering who else going to Lse this Autumn!?!

See you all there :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 39
Hi Guys

Three years after starting this thread I just graduated from LSE a few months ago with a 2.1 in Social Anthropology :-)

I am happy to answer any questions from anybody wanting info on Social Anthropology or LSE in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending