The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Of course you should.
NYC
I just feel really embarrased filling in application forms because I have no experience. I'm 18 now and I've never had a job, it feels like I've left it too late. Can I write about work experience and my college placement as previous employment? Would that make a difference?

Yes you should. Everyone has to start somewhere!

An employer is looking for signs of competence and skills. You're at a much better advantage doing some college placements and taking away a lot of skills from that than having some previous employment that you didn't hold down/take anything away from. Don't worry, project success and confidence and keep trying.
Reply 3
Oh crap, i left previous employment blank even though i had 3 weeks summer work experience at a law firm... i assumed it was just paid work that you input into that section :s-smilie:
am i at much of a disadvantage?
I did however mention it in my personal statement
Reply 4
If you are going for a part-time job alongside university or college most retail, leisure and catering companies mainly go on personality and how you come across in the interview, as you will be dealing with their customers in a personal manner. Work experience does help quite a bit, but I would say most places put more emphasis on your personal abilities.

I got a job at House of Fraser when I was 18. I'm not bigging myself up here, but I had no work experience yet I received a position, so it is possible.
Reply 5
I got a job two months ago with no work experience a couple of months ago, I must have a good interview. So yea it's possible.
Its possible? Of course it should be, I'm in the same posistion but I think we are need to start somewhere, even if some of us are lazy and have left it a little late

Latest

Trending

Trending