The Student Room Group

Need advice

basically this year I wanted to apply to medicine. strange as it sounds my family tried to convince me NOT to do it. The succeeded all i have is and offer for biomedical science from newcastle.
I do have pharmacy offers (the course i applied for instead) but they are no good because i dont want to do pharmacy.

I live in england but my overall ambition is to be a surgeon in AMERICA.
I have decided to go against family wishes and become a surgeon anyway. Problem is the applicatino for this year is done.

Question is do i go for biomedical science then do medicine (advice from americans would be very helpful because i hear they have to do this in america) But because they have to do it would i be at an advantage doing it here ?

Anyone know how easy it is to transfer to america ?

Or should I just wait until next year and then apply

First post so forgive me if somethings wrong
Are you rich? Medical school in America costs a hell of a lot of money! $200,000+ a year (including living expenses etc.).

Also, why America? And you can't say your ambition is to be a surgeon when you haven't studied Medicine at all.
I don't know much about this, though there was a good thread recently you could search for. Consensus seems to be that's it's easier to qualify here and then do the USMLE to allow you to practice in America, than it is to apply to medical school there. Easier, but not easy. Also a lot cheaper.

I also recommend you take a gap year and reapply to medicine in the UK next year. You don't want unnecessary student debt for a course you're not interested in, plus grad medicine is harder to get into.
Reply 3
For origin person

I have observed a gp for a week and a surgeon for a week so i do know what i want to do
WantToBeAMedic
For origin person

I have observed a gp for a week and a surgeon for a week so i do know what i want to do

Ok. :rolleyes:
WantToBeAMedic
For origin person

So you got a really good glimpse of exactly what being a surgeon is all about. The years of training, hours of work, stresses and strains etc. etc...
Reply 6
If you have decent grades then it might be worth just sprucing up your PS.etc and reapplying.

Latest

Trending

Trending