The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeh i know what u mean. I thought that paper is very difficult. I took it twice and got an E in both of them despite revising my arse off.
Reply 2
It's a tough one, lots of stuff to learn for this. You're pretty much screwed if you don't past paper this like mad.
Reply 3
About 40 of my students - its by far the toughest module in OCR A Physics.
Reply 4
I'm having a tough time with SHM, dunno why its not sticking!
Reply 5
I think it's a brilliant module which tests physics ability pretty well. It's part synoptic and the questions no longer treat you like a completely retarded moron all the time. (I mean seriously, anyone can stick numbers in a formula and punch buttons on a calculator)

I'm finding that this module requires LESS revision than some of the AS ones because I don't think there's that much content - you just need to understand the principles which pretty much lets you work everything out.
I haven't attempted any papers yet. We still haven't finished the syllabus :frown:
Good luck with this one, guys. I remember finding it horrendous. Don't be disheartened if you get a low mark, it's really difficult, which is why - if I remember rightly - this is the last year that it'll be examined, they're changing the module. I could be wrong though, I'm sure teachercol will correct me :smile:
I got an E first time 'round and then a B so don't worry yourselves. Try your best to reduce your notes down into stuff you can remember and then practice, practice, practice.
Reply 8
It is the last year for this one - it will be available again in June and then thats it. The new syllabus has split FFE into two modules.

The A grade is typically around 65% on the paper - and the E grade is around 35%. Pretty narrow range. It does mean you can do well though - one of my students got 100% UMS last year on this paper.
Reply 9
an A is 65%???
well good XD might actually have a chance then... dreading the synoptic tho :frown:
Yeah, I don't like it most of the questions are ok, it is just the wordy question that is ****
i find it a lovely module- its a lot more "physics" based and has a nice nice mix of mechanics and electronics stuff - some of the questions/past papers are very very badly written mind you. If you look on some of the mark schemes ive seen a couple say:

"ignore students response and award full marks" - this was due to the question being wrong/badly worded/not in syllabus - how on earth can a question like that get into the exam paper - what exactly do we pay the exam boards for again?

what do you mean get the exam out of the way? are you in year 12?
eulerwaswrong
i find it a lovely module- its a lot more "physics" based and has a nice nice mix of mechanics and electronics stuff - some of the questions/past papers are very very badly written mind you. If you look on some of the mark schemes ive seen a couple say:

"ignore students response and award full marks" - this was due to the question being wrong/badly worded/not in syllabus - how on earth can a question like that get into the exam paper - what exactly do we pay the exam boards for again?

what do you mean get the exam out of the way? are you in year 12?

Yeah, I agree with you and we can hope that there is one of them questions on ours
wizard710
Yeah, I agree with you and we can hope that there is one of them questions on ours

hmmmmm - well that means there are less questions. Which means the difference in grade boundaries will be less - much riskier and less fair in my eyes.

If they award every one full marks for a question it just means grade all grade boundaries get pushed up by a few marks - and the gaps between boundaries get narrower
Reply 14
Introspectre
Good luck with this one, guys. I remember finding it horrendous. Don't be disheartened if you get a low mark, it's really difficult, which is why - if I remember rightly - this is the last year that it'll be examined, they're changing the module. I could be wrong though, I'm sure teachercol will correct me :smile:
I got an E first time 'round and then a B so don't worry yourselves. Try your best to reduce your notes down into stuff you can remember and then practice, practice, practice.

That's a crap reason to change it! If it's hard, it can differentiate between candidates a LOT better, cos only the best candidates will get an A - ie, the way it should be.
i think this exam is the best exam on a bad exam board - its a dire exam board - badly written papers/strange strucutre on certain modules/entire course/ past papers/syllabai were only recently available online

i just do not like ocr. AQA is a much nicer exam board - the fact that they have loads of resources including free downloadable textbooks for some courses.
I sat it last January. The class made it out to seem like a scary module, and to be fair, it has a lot of content, but with good revision most of that will stick easily to a few weeks past the exam, I can still remember the equations now :rolleyes: . I preferred sitting it Jan to June, I would of had Cosmology, FFE, and synoptic all in one month, not good. The key to revision for it is pretty much the same as all exams, do every past paper, check every solution word for word, understand what a question asks as similar sounding ones can have very different answers (though thats usually the 1-2 mark ones, no big deal), and if there's anything you don't get and it's too late to understand it (i.e. the day of the exam, unless your physics teacher isn't about the days/weeks before) then just memorise it and if it comes up, quote your memory, you'll get a few marks for being able to read, thats the way a-levels work :biggrin:
Reply 17
Yeah having done this exam last year in January, i agree it is tough, though Uni is definitely tougher, so think of this exam maybe as a preparation and bridge between University and A level exams. Exam technique is crucial for an exam like this where an understanding of the principles is needed to be applied!

Past papers will go a long way, I found I learnt a lot more from doing the past papers from 2002 - 2008, and looking not only at the mark scheme but the examiners reports. This exam can be done and is doable and if you are getting 66% + on raw marks you are probably about A grade standard.

If they didn't have a module like this where there is so much content it would not be able to stretch the most able physicts, tbh so be happy that there is a module which is challenging!
Reply 18
teachercol
It is the last year for this one - it will be available again in June and then thats it. The new syllabus has split FFE into two modules.

The A grade is typically around 65% on the paper - and the E grade is around 35%. Pretty narrow range. It does mean you can do well though - one of my students got 100% UMS last year on this paper.

by virtue of it being the most difficult paper, it also means that its the easier to score 90/90 UMS on...if someone comes along that can do the calculations...you can get full marks quite easily
This paper should be easy (86/90 on mock) - the only annoying stuff is the radioactivity (not hard - just annoying).

I hope we get the essay question on EM induction / Faraday's law.

Good luck to you all.

If anyone wants any help PM me and I'll do my best to try to resolve the problem.

Latest