The Student Room Group

Make-up artistry in America

I know this is a longshot that anyone knows about this haha, but I'm so darn ambitious any help will be appreciated. I plan on going into a career as a makeup artist for tv, theatre and film. I dropped out of sixth form (couple of months into my first year) to pursue this dream of mine. So basically I've applied to a few colleges to study makeup for a year in 2009, but I'm looking to study it even futher (uni) after this and I thought the sooner I looked into it the better. It was always my plan when I was 18 to study in America and I do not plan to change this because my career path has changed. I'm so determind, can anyone help me out at all? Or even point me in the right direction?
My first instinct would be to have a look at Neill Gorton's website - although he's English and based here, he has written a whole section on how to enter the makeup artistry industry, and he'd be the first person to email if you have any questions. He may give you some hints on going overseas.

Although, saying that, you'd probably do better to gain your qualifications here. London has the most prestigious makeup tutors in the world at the London College of Fashion and is highly respected in the industry.
Without any qualifications, you won't get very far in the US, tbh.
It'll cost you loads (think fifty grand a year, approx) to study in the US, so your parents better be rich, or start working and saving :p:
And also, to become a makeup artist is going to be very hard, and lots of overly qualified people can't find jobs in the industry. Also, to get a permit to work in the US, you need to be in a career in demand, such as a doctor, or have a degree they need, like engineering.

Just to say it'll be a very hard struggle, but if you're determined, go ahead :smile:
Jess
My cousin is (incidentally) going down a similar route, but she is doing university in the UK. I think she is doing a stage/film make up course at the london school of fashion which she got onto after having done some sort of stage make up course at college. Apparently it involves a lot of biology, and then chemistry because they learn how to create their own products. She'll probably end up in the states at some point as she has an American passport/citizenship as well as British so it'll be easier for her to start working there. You could always go and study abroad in the USA during your degree, then you're paying UK fees for a US education.

Latest

Trending

Trending