The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Studying econ at UCL

Hi all, just wondering how much UCL takes into consideration what GCSE grades you have. I know that some like LSE need something like 9 or 10A*'s to do L100 but then there are others that only require you to get only A*'s and A's.

Assuming that I have AAA at A-levels would GCSE grades of 3A* 7A 3B put me in a realistic chance of getting in? I just want to know how much weight UCL put for the grades you got at GCSE, hopefully not too much. :biggrin:
Reply 1
kai4321
Hi all, just wondering how much UCL takes into consideration what GCSE grades you have. I know that some like LSE need something like 9 or 10A*'s to do L100 but then there are others that only require you to get only A*'s and A's.

Assuming that I have AAA at A-levels would GCSE grades of 3A* 7A 3B put me in a realistic chance of getting in? I just want to know how much weight UCL put for the grades you got at GCSE, hopefully not too much. :biggrin:

I couldn't be specific about Econ...but in general, whilst GCSE's are fairly important you seem to have done well enough for UCL.

It's not just the only way they accept people, it's a really social uni so they pay a lot of notice to PS's and try to interview as many people as possible.

What are your A-Levels in?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
kai4321

I don't think your chances are too good. If you look in the economics forum you will see a lot of people with 6+A*s and all As at AS being rejected from UCL, however if you get all As at AS and have a good personal statement then you will definitely be in with a chance.
Reply 3
Well my A-levels are: Further Maths, Maths, Econ and Chemistry.
kai4321
Well my A-levels are: Further Maths, Maths, Econ and Chemistry.

Good A-levels, FM is particularly good if you want to apply to top unis for Economics. If you get all As in those then you will have a good chance of getting into a top uni. Unfortunately Economics is a really competitive course though, no matter how good your academic record is there's still a chance of rejection. :frown:
grades aren't the best, one guy got rejected with 12A* but then again you could also say that UCL place more emphasis on your PS? who knows lol, as long as your other options are "realistic" then applying to UCL won't hurt :smile:
Reply 6
L100 Economics is the most competitive course at UCL to get into and therefore everything has to be considered. Your GCSE's are slightly weak but you still have a chance with a good PS,refs and as long as you don't go to a 'top private school'.
Reply 7
jakezg
L100 Economics is the most competitive course at UCL to get into and therefore everything has to be considered. Your GCSE's are slightly weak but you still have a chance with a good PS,refs and as long as you don't go to a 'top private school'.

Well I don't know how well my college rates but it is not private and it has a 35% 'A' grade average (that's including all subjects).
easy_lemon
I couldn't be specific about Econ...but in general, whilst GCSE's are fairly important you seem to have done well enough for UCL.

It's not just the only way they accept people, it's a really social uni so they pay a lot of notice to PS's and try to interview as many people as possible.

What are your A-Levels in?

That's a good point...
Reply 9
adilmorrison
That's a good point...

Mine always are...:p:
Reply 10
adilmorrison
That's a good point...

It's true that UCL interview lots in general but the reason is not because its a 'social' uni.

For economics the policy isn't to interview anyways which is what the thread is about. Therefore sorry but its not a good point.
jakezg
It's true that UCL interview lots in general but the reason is not because its a 'social' uni.

For economics the policy isn't to interview anyways which is what the thread is about. Therefore sorry but its not a good point.

I meant it was a good point in general... Don't apologise to me, I didn't make the point in the first place...
Reply 12
adilmorrison
I meant it was a good point in general... Don't apologise to me, I didn't make the point in the first place...

I'm not apologising to you. You clearly aren't the person to advise people on UCL Econ admissions which are clearly very different to the rest of UCL admissions...
jakezg
I'm not apologising to you. You clearly aren't the person to advise people on UCL Econ admissions which are clearly very different to the rest of UCL admissions...

The only people who are really in any position to advise anyone on admissions are admissions tutors, of which you are not one.
Reply 14
adilmorrison
The only people who are really in any position to advise anyone on admissions are admissions tutors, of which you are not one.

Well considering I've spent a lot of time with the admissions tutor and lead the Open Days for prospective economics students I think I am in a good position to advise. You, however, are clueless.
*gets popcorn* :rolleyes:
I'd say you have a better chance at Oxbridge. I had similar GCSE's and got rejected by UCL, but have now got an offer from Oxford. I think because they don't interview people, those with weaker gcse's are disadvantaged. Just my opinion though :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending