The Student Room Group
Is this for English Literature?

I will happily help :smile:

Introduction: In here you should state the key messages of the texts. Immediately you could make a contrast. For example (don't know what you are comparing but here it goes as an example!): Throughout Sonnet 18, Shakespeare's focus is on pure love and fundamentally, he uses natural imagery to elevate his love to an idolised level. Although similar in their deployment of natural imagery, Marvell's To My Coy Mistress contrasts with Sonnet 18 given its focus on the sexual aspects of love.

Here, there are two immediate comparisons/similarities made. Firstly, the focus of the love and secondly the way this is portrayed. In the intro you should awaken the examiner/reader to the situation and immediately show them that you understand the question's demands, i.e. here: contrasting two texts.

Then begin by exploring one text with a good depth of treatment and make sharp comparisons. These are, on the whole, better than generic ones. The contrasts in the introduction are generic as it is only a "warm up".

In the first paragraph you could begin by, for example, exploring Shakespeare's use of natural imagery. Explore the metaphorical significance of the sun etc.. Using quotes. Then to make a sudden contrast, say: Although Marvell deploys a range of natural imagery, there is an uncanny focus on "vegetable love". This reveals a fundamental difference between the two texts, as it reveals Marvell's overall sexual desire and his focus to woo his mistress into bed, whereas Shakespeare endeavours a pure and caring love relationship.

Throughout your analysis, you must not be "forced" as you put it. Instead of the rather formulatic system of Firstly, Secondly etc.., to make your essay more coherent begin by Initially, then progress through in addition, furthermore, moreover, supplementary to this, this is complimented by.

Also, in order to make your comparisons less forced and more swift, start by making a similarity, for example:

Although they both use natural imagery, Marvell's deployment differs as...
There is however a sharp contrast in their use of natural imagery given...

Try and vary your phrases. It will come over a lot more coherent, lucid and technically fluent.

However, making the contrast is only half of the job done. Once you have made the contrast. You must explore it in equal depth to the previous analysis. So:

Shakespeare's use of natural imagery.

CONTRAST STATEMENT

Marvell's use of natural imagery.

Then, here, relate it back to the question and also address the contrast again to make sure that your argument is clear and well focussed at all times. It also gives it a good sense of plentitude which is rare :smile:

In your conclusion, aim to make a fundamental contrast that is both succinct and summative.

If you would like to send me an essay of your work with regard to comparing texts please PM me and I will happily point you in the right direction :smile:

Let me know :smile:

Sorry it's so long!

Latest