The Student Room Group

A/AS Level Choices in Yr. 13.

Hi ho.

I know it's probably far too early to be thinking/discussing this particular topic but I'd be interested in your thoughts regardless.

I'm currently in Year 12 studying Politics, Law, Economics and History and am somewhat undecided about university courses at the moment (ideally, it'd be either Law/IR/PPE). I realise that my courses are perhaps not ideal for studying PPE or Law at a top university, seeing as I don't have maths if I want to do PPE, and the fact I take law could be offputting to the best universities.

I was wondering, would it be better for me to drop 1 of my AS levels at the end of this year and pick up, say, Physics, Maths or English Lit (to help broaded my qualifications), and end up with 3 A-levels and 2 AS-levels or should I stick with the four I have at the moment?

Much appreciated.
Reply 1
i suggest that you drop law, because you're right that some unis are not too keen on this as it can cause bad habits at degree level.
you're other three subjects are definately fine for Law, but if you think you can, yes i would take up maths As-level.
Maths at AS level will be the least amount of work than the other two...and is the most relevant to what you wish to do.
Reply 2
universities don't really care all that much if you do law or don't do maths, and they don't really care if you have ten thousand a levels.
picking up an extra as might damage your chances of getting really top grades in your a2s, and any combination of your as levels, be it four or three, would be fine to apply to uni with. if it were me, i'd drop law only because it isn't as respected, you're right, not because universities will not give you an offer because you have it.
your university ambitions will change between now and july, when imo you should begin to finalise your course/draw up a final list of your courses. for example, this time last year i wanted to do politics and german. i'm going to do hebrew studies now, haha, and might do english and russian with arabic for a second degree. times change, my lad. it is good you're thinking about it now but stick to working hard on your as's.

Latest