Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Analytical Thinking Exercise

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I've scheduled a first round interview at an IB, and was told that I will undergo an analytical thinking exercise, followed by a competency based interview. Can anyone please tell me what an analytical thinking exercise is?

Are they usually case studies, or will it be a series of brain teaser related questions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of such a thing, but I'd guess it'll be a cause and effect exercise - i.e. when interest rates fall, what happens to the price of bonds?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...the interview is for GS, so I'm sure someone has heard of an "analytical thinking exercise"...anyone?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobshmob)
    Hi all, I've scheduled a first round interview at an IB, and was told that I will undergo an analytical thinking exercise, followed by a competency based interview. Can anyone please tell me what an analytical thinking exercise is?

Are they usually case studies, or will it be a series of brain teaser related questions?
    Which division is it for? It may give us a better idea. Eg. if it's for IBD it may be looking at a company and then going through their problems and what strategy they could take - eg. merger, divestiture, sell something, raise capital etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love2learn)
    Which division is it for? It may give us a better idea. Eg. if it's for IBD it may be looking at a company and then going through their problems and what strategy they could take - eg. merger, divestiture, sell something, raise capital etc.
    It's for GS, in the technology division. thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    really not sure then - never had much dealing with tech I'm afraid
    But sounds like there's a few of you with first rounds for that division so hopefully someone should know, either that or are there any recruitment events between now and then? May be a chance to get some insights
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never interviewed at GS but have at several other IBs.
    Typical questions are things like:
    - If you have a 2-side scales and 6 balls, what's the smallest number of times you can use the scales to determine the heaviest ball.
    - The Fox, the Hen and the Corn riddle (look it up). Basically a farmer wants to take these 3 items across a bridge but can only move them one at a time: the fox will eat the hen, the hen will eat the corn
    A similar one is Missionaries and Cannibals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission...nibals_problem

- You can also have vaguer questions which don't have an exact answer but allow the interviewer to see how your mind works, how you proceed with reasoning: the exact answer isn't that important as you may not have the background knowledge or sufficient information.

- For example: how would you determine the number of petrol stations in London, how many golf balls can you fit in a Boeing 737...

- It could also be mathematical questions but less likely for a technology role: probability questions involving the roll of dices (what's the probability of roling the same number 3 times blabla...), some basic Taylor series expansion question...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 30, 2008
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.