The Student Room Group

Oxford Vs. Imperial Vs. UCL

I want to study medicine, and I quite fancy going to either Oxford, UCL or Imperial.

Why should I choose one over the other?
Why shouldn't I choose one over the other?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of them in current student's eyes?

edit: I dont mean in terms of 'which is better', i mean, what do current med students see from their POV about the schools. cus obv open days dont really represent the actual reality of studying there for 6 years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they have websites! go read the prospectuses and visit the open days.
Reply 2
applemilk1992
I want to study medicine, and I quite fancy going to either Oxford, UCL or Imperial.

it is a case of them choosing you, not the other way round. :yep:
Reply 3
Reactions will be if you enter
1) omg you're at oxford?
2) imperial is excellent!
3) UCL is good stuff man grats
Reply 4
Isometrix
they have websites! go read the prospectuses and visit the open days.

+ then get offers from all of them! Why waste time hypothetically agonizing over which of 4 or fewer medical schools to go to, when you can apply to that many?! & statistically the choice between your applications will not be yours... *doom* :p:

Or are these for your 4th UCAS form choice? In which case giving your other 3 might help sensible suggestions based on what you're looking for.
You shouldn't pick one over the other. They all have different courses (even though UCL and Imperial's are rather similar in most respects). They are different universities and have a different feel to them, they have different entry standards...

Go do your homework and then decide :p:
Reply 6
They're all kickass places to do medicine. If you choose any one of them, you'll get a brilliant education. From my understanding, Oxford and Imperial are about par, and UCL is just underneath them. That is just how I rank them. Nothing official. But each place has it's own individual characteristics and you have to pick the one that suits you best.
Reply 7
oxford's boring, imperial's ugly, ucl is brilliant.

ho ho ho, christmas greetings.
Reply 8
Dr Acula
it is a case of them choosing you, not the other way round. :yep:

:no:
Right now he's choosing them.
As in who he puts on his ucas list.
Reply 9
AntoineUK
Reactions will be if you enter
1) omg you're at oxford?
2) imperial is excellent!
3) UCL is good stuff man grats

hahah this is too funny
applemilk1992

Do some research, go and check them out, find out which one's best for you.
When you visit them, you'll find out if they feel right for you, if you like the atmosphere and style of teaching. They all have a great reputation obviously so make sure your application is strong enough to get you some interviews.

I personally loved Oxford. I think the tutorial system is a fantastic way to learn. It's a shame I won't get to be part of it :frown:.
Oxford.
Imperial.
UCL.
Reply 12
you should go on open days and look at them to see which one you like, because they are all amazing places to do medicine.
also look at the couse structures and teaching styles, you might not like all of them!
Reply 13
reems23
:no:
Right now he's choosing them.
As in who he puts on his ucas list.

all 3 of them
Reply 14
Dr Acula
all 3 of them

I read his second post. I get you.
Reply 15
reems23
I read his second post. I get you.

:awesome:
Reply 16
I'd say for medicine there isn't a massive difference between the 3. Oxford is slightly above the other 2 imo due to its tutorial system but you may end up having to go to London for clinicals anyway. I've always seen UCL as 'better' than Imperial although once you reach that sort of level, it becomes a very subjective opinionated matter rather than anything set in hard fact.

Go to the open days, read the prospectus. See which one you like most and apply to it. If you're confident enough about the bmat, apply to all 3 though I really wouldn't recommend that. A bad day or a bad section could ruin 75% of your choices. A bad section 3 helped bring along Oxford's rejection imo.
UCL!!! (opinion may contain bias)

Seriously? My opinion is that Oxford is very pretty, it was something I'd dreamed since I was small, I would have put it as first choice and probably would have loved it if I'd actually gone there. I don't like the atmosphere of Imperial - too much science for someone like me and it felt a little bit intense and a little bit unfriendly (my ex goes there so I've spent a lot of time hanging round the union/Beit hall). I love UCL lots...I reckon, with hindsight, the course at UCL suits me slightly better than that in Oxford (arts and humanities SSCs/iBScs give me a bit of a breather from all the science - I'm really interested in science, but it doesn't really turn me on).

All in all...Oxford and UCL would be my favourites out of the above. All of this talk of it being less prestigious than Imperial/Oxford...it's kicking Imperial and Oxford arses in the biomedical research RAE and it has won the UoL Gold Medal 47 times in around a hundred years. Not too shabby really.

Which one produces the best doctors? I reckon there's nothing in it.
I'm not surprised you found Oxford unfriendly if you spent all your time around the Union!
Huw Davies
I'm not surprised you found Oxford unfriendly if you spent all your time around the Union!

Read again - I referred to Imperial's union.

Latest

Trending

Trending