Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
And also, can someone give me a solid definition for the term "Latency"
Reply 21
I'm doing this exam on Thurs. Eeek :s-smilie:
Reply 22
so, nobody has answers to my questions?
Reply 23
Latency is the time between the contraction of a pathogen (e.g. HIV) and the trigger which stimulates the pathogen to reproduce. In the case of HIV the trigger is commonly the contraction of another disease. During the latency period the pathogen doesn't show any noticeable symptoms, HIV is integrating itself into the hosts genome during this time. I'm pretty sure the end of the latency period is when noticable symptoms occur.
Thats how I've understood it, so hope it helps you out :smile:
Reply 24
cheers mate
Reply 25
the exam is tomorrow!!! How does everyone feel?
Reply 26
nah
menstrual cycle wont come up, i reckon Glucose regulation, osmoregulation and action potentials will come up in the first section..

2nd section i reckon will contain The practical test for gram positive and gram negative bacteria as that hasnt come up for a long time... maybe a question on yoghurt production as well as production of bread.

i think a question about the structures and nucleic acid stuff will come up for the viruses.. u know that classic table...

and something to do with antibiotics and they might throw in a dodgy question to do with some practical work

i reckon the 10 mark essay question will be about anaerobic respiration lol
Reply 27
AmitYiddo

i reckon the 10 mark essay question will be about anaerobic respiration lol

I think its gonna be on some hormone regulation or the brain...
can someone please explain this:

What is the importance of some urea being reabsorbed by the nephron?
Medicine Man
can someone please explain this:

What is the importance of some urea being reabsorbed by the nephron?

Helps to increase solute potential in the medulla creating a larger water potential gradient so more concentrated urine. And the fact it occurs due to equilibrium.
Ubiquitous Resource
Helps to increase solute potential in the medulla creating a larger water potential gradient so more concentrated urine. And the fact it occurs due to equilibrium.

ahh thanks alot:biggrin:
Ubiquitous Resource

Sorry, I don't quite understand that bit. :s-smilie:
Thats just the fact it occurs as the [urea] is high in the DCT/CD so it diffuses into the vasa recta
oh ok
thanks
=]
Reply 34
Hey can someone summarise what happens in the Electron Transport Chain [ETC] please, i've read so much on it that i am totally confused on what happens here.

Thanks.
memorise this:
NADH + h+ is oxdised to NAD releasing 2H AND 2 electrons
2 electrons are passsed to the electron transport chain losing energy each time they are passed down
H+ flow through H+ channels in the mitachondrial matrix tto the inner memnrane pumped using energy released from the electrons space through stalked particles which contain ATP-ase
The concentration of protons in the innermembrane space is higher than that of the mitachondial matrix so an electro chemical gradient exists
H+ flow back through the membrane down a concentration gradient through stalked particles which contain ATPase to te mitachondrial matrix
This process generates energy, which is used in the oxidative phosphorylation of
ADP + Pi = ATP
H+ combines with the terminal hydrogen acceptor to form WATER
Reply 36
Understood, thanks! This is going to be a hard exam, hope the 10 mark question is not on anaerobic respiration, but rather on the kidney!
yea but kidneys BORING lol, i jus hope HORMONES or penicillin dsnt come up!!!!
Reply 38
Hormones is easy, if its about insulin and negative feedback and that sort of stuff. I hope thee is nothing or minimal on the eye and anaerobic respiration because i am not confident in that area at all :frown:
poor girl!!

Latest