The Student Room Group
Reply 1
New member posts invalid link, good start :rolleyes:
Mark_KK
New member posts invalid link, good start :rolleyes:

Broken link yes. It happened to me once when you fail to copy and paste properly, because the URLs become truncated when it is 'too long'.
I went to the original site and searched for what you talked about but couldn't find anything
Reply 4
britishseapower
I went to the original site and searched for what you talked about but couldn't find anything

As did i, i thought it would be a quite interesting read!
Reply 5
Could it be someone trolling?
Mark_KK
Could it be someone trolling?

Could well be.
Reply 7
I managed to track down the original article...I might post later with my thoughts about it.

University has cheated me says student
A STUDENT is fighting for compensation from Sheffield Hallam University after abandoning a law course which left him £10,000 in debt.
Richard Cooper, 22, has been in dispute with Hallam for almost two years after enrolling on a course which he says left him feeling 'cheated and conned.'
Richard, who is now at another university, joined a four year degree course, two of which were to be spent in Sheffield and the other two in Paris.
But the undergraduate says his experiences in France were a nightmare, and that Hallam's response has been 'a disgrace to the British education system.'
Richard's claims include:
That the University of Paris XII was 45 minutes from the centre of the capital, in a suburban and industrial area;
the University facilities were unfit for study, with leaking roofs, broken seats, unsanitary toilets and poor investment in technology;
that Hallam provided no help in arranging accommodation in Paris and he had to make five unsuccessful trips there looking for digs.
Richard quit the course in April 2003 and has been going through the University's official complaints procedures ever since. None of his grievances have been upheld, and Richard has now written to the Secretary of State for Education.
Hallam says the case has been invesigated thoroughly but it is willing to refer it to a newly appointed independent adjudicator.
Richard said the French campus was 'dingy' to say the least, and that students were informallly warned by Hallam lecturers that they would not enjoy their time there. In fact the place looked like a prisoner of war camp. Our grants to help the cost of our studies arrived four months late, when we arrived no one knew who we were, and some of our classes were at another campus which was a two hour journey from our accommodation," he said.
Hallam students were also concerned about the Paris university's methods of academic assessment, which would contribute to their final degree. "I feel completely cheated and frankly conned by Hallam," said Richard.
Hallam's university secretary Liz Winders said: "Given Richard's continued dissatisfaction with the outcome, the University has written to suggest that he might take his complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator."
Reply 8
Emm.......All of his grievances seem to concern the University of Paris XII. Surely the onus is on him to check out what his degree entails. Why this guy thinks he has a right to fire off against Hallam is a mystery to me.
Reply 9
I don't, I know Id be ticked off to say the least, surely it's safe to assume that an upstanding university will at least offer better than that?
Reply 10
I did check out want the degree entails, unfortunately Hallam only told us the real truth once ("you will hate it"(quote form course leder) we'd signed up and moved to Sheffield. The full complaint concerns Hallam too, and absolutely no support whatsoever. You can merrily read the full complaint if you want. If you sign up to a course at a UK Uni, that sends you abroad, surely it's there responsability to make sure that their partner institution is at least half way decent?

muncrun
Emm.......All of his grievances seem to concern the University of Paris XII. Surely the onus is on him to check out what his degree entails. Why this guy thinks he has a right to fire off against Hallam is a mystery to me.
Reply 11
Honestly, I think if I took up a degree that involved myself spending 2 years abroad - I'd take it upon myself to find out what the partner uni was like.

That said, I'm sorry you were unfortunate to have such a bad experience abroad. I'm sure I'd feel hard done by if I were in your posistion.
Reply 12
I'm sorry but I don't think you understood what went on over there? I can send you full detrails of the complaint if you want. I would be interested to here how you would find out that they smoke in your face in a dark room and call that an "exam", before going there? That's just one of 8 pages of problems, ok?
Reply 13
So who have you complained to about it? If it was that appalling did you approach the university / threaten to approach newspapers at the time. Have other students applied for compensation or are you the only one? Were the other students happy with the course? Did everyone quit or just yoU?
Reply 14
roesti
I'm sorry but I don't think you understood what went on over there? I can send you full detrails of the complaint if you want. I would be interested to here how you would find out that they smoke in your face in a dark room and call that an "exam", before going there? That's just one of 8 pages of problems, ok?

No need for the attitude, I said I sympathised with you.

All I can speak for is what I would have done if I were doing a course like that. I'm considering spending a semester abroad next year and I've spoke to dozens of students covering all the possible law schools I could go to about their experience. It's certainly not something I'd embark on lightly.

Again, I'm sorry for your experience and it's good you're doing something about it now, at least.

Latest

Trending

Trending