The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ramadulla
At University, hmmm, probably either English Literature or Theoretical Maths + Physics?
Either a Novelist or a Nuclear Physicist as possible careers. :shifty:

you don't have to read english at university to become a novelist.
Jessaay!
Yes.

Though last time I checked it was Clitheroe Royal.

Isn't that a fair distance from Runshaw?

That's what I was thinking too...
Reply 42
Ramadulla
At University, hmmm, probably either English Literature or Theoretical Maths + Physics?
Either a Novelist or a Nuclear Physicist as possible careers. :shifty:

Kind of a contrast hun :p:

Though most English literature graduates end up not being novelists but instead doing some sort of unrelated job, so choose wisely. Not that that's a bad thing but you might want to think of your career too.
Reply 43
Haz313
Depends what you want to be/do when you're older?

i don't know, does it?
rainbow drops
you don't have to read english at university to become a novelist.

What career does reading English lead to, though?

Oh - how about English Language in substitute to Geography? :p:
Reply 45
You know those are good choices man. They aren't any "soft" subjects, so automatically they are fine.

Off-topic - Your dad hasn't killed you yet right?
kai4321
You know those are good choices man. They aren't any "soft" subjects, so automatically they are fine.

Off-topic - Your dad hasn't killed you yet right?

Oh - not really - however he hadn't found out.

And thanks, I just want to make sure that I don't regret them choices once they're on paper.
Ramadulla
What career does reading English lead to, though?

Oh - how about English Language in substitute to Geography? :p:

teaching, publishing, journalism, the law... english graduates have gone into all kinds of fields, really. even into things like banking. it's not in any way vocational.

i personally think doing both english literature and english language is a bit of a waste of time. you could consider the combined a level if it's available to you? i'd still go with sole english literature over those two, though i'm biased.

to be honest, if you're stuck between studying english and theoretical physics at university then you need to have a bit more of a think. your subject choices are balanced more towards the sciences, which sort of indicates a preference there?
SimonM
Obviously maths is awesome. I took geography AS level, most enjoyable (although A level would have killed me with all the essays)

Physics sucks, but is easy (especially if you're doing maths)
I thought mathematicians liked physics.:p:
Reply 49
joshm
I thought mathematicians liked physics.:p:

I like physics, but not A level physics, which is appalling
SimonM
I like physics, but not A level physics, which is appalling
Fair point.
Reply 51
Ramadulla
Oh - not really - however he hadn't found out.

And thanks, I just want to make sure that I don't regret them choices once they're on paper.

I would say don't take geography just because to me it doesn't seem that hard. It's not a "soft" subject but in my opinion it's bordering. I would pick something like Chemistry and then that would be fine.

I am picking Maths, FM, Chemistry and Economics. If I had an option of 5 then I would do History probably.
kai4321
I would say don't take geography just because to me it doesn't seem that hard. It's not a "soft" subject but in my opinion it's bordering. I would pick something like Chemistry and then that would be fine.

I am picking Maths, FM, Chemistry and Economics. If I had an option of 5 then I would do History probably.

Fair-enough, if my Sixth-form will allow it, I'll take Chemistry.
I am going to take a glimpse at some specimen papers; hopefully they won't scare me.
Reply 53
Ramadulla
Fair-enough, if my Sixth-form will allow it, I'll take Chemistry.
I am going to take a glimpse at some specimen papers; hopefully they won't scare me.

I would have probably picked Physics too because I really enjoy it but for some reason I got quite bad on my Core exam and I still haven't done Additional or Triple of it (which I may be really good at) but i can't risk it and the colleges want the options around now.
kai4321
I would have probably picked Physics too because I really enjoy it but for some reason I got quite bad on my Core exam and I still haven't done Additional or Triple of it (which I may be really good at) but i can't risk it and the colleges want the options around now.

Hey, don't worry. It's very different (yet harder) to GCSE. Take a look at the exam-board's website, and go to the specification, for more information about what you will be learning if you were to choose it.

:smile:
Reply 55
Ramadulla
Hey, don't worry. It's very different (yet harder) to GCSE. Take a look at the exam-board's website, and go to the specification, for more information about what you will be learning if you were to choose it.

:smile:

I will do, but I think if I had option of 5 ASs I would probably pick History. Nice essay subject which always looks good and also I get quite high on the tests we do in class and in mocks.
Reply 56
Ramadulla

-(AQA.B) English Literature (hmmm...)

Hey. :smile: There is no 'hmmm...' about it. Do it.
kai4321
I will do, but I think if I had option of 5 ASs I would probably pick History. Nice essay subject which always looks good and also I get quite high on the tests we do in class and in mocks.

Why do you not have an option of 5? You can always change to a college that allows you to, you know?

They're okay, I suppose.

AQA is playing it a bit safe, don't you think? I'm not a fan.
Reply 59
Ramadulla
Why do you not have an option of 5? You can always change to a college that allows you to, you know?

Well I have a hard choice man. Either a better college but 4 options (they make you do 4 and then Critical thinking which is basically void to all top unis) or a worse college but 5 options (if i average a 6.7, which i should be able to).

Latest