The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes to the former(I think?), don't think so to the latter....

you do need to know the basic nomenclature..
rajchahal18
Does anyone know for the January Exam on the new spec AQA AS chem (Unit 1) whether we need to know about the history of the atom, like Rutherford, plum pudding etc..
Also, do we need to know how to name alcohols, ketones and caboxylic acids?

Thanks

History of atom - No.
How to name stuff (i.e. nomenclature [sp?]) - yes
Woah!

I'm doing this, yet I dont have my first exam till the summer...I wonder if its the same paper...:shifty:

The plum-pudding model, Rutherford stuff is pretty basic GCSE physics, though I don't think you need to know it...Perhaps its just in the textbook for background knowledge.
Reply 4
Hedgehunter
I'm doing this, yet I dont have my first exam till the summer...I wonder if its the same paper...:shifty:

I think your school can either enter you for Jan or JUne.

Hmmm getting a bit confused, I'm getting contradicting ans. I can name alkenes, alkanes and haloaklanes just not sure about the others. Might as well just learn them...
Reply 5
rajchahal18

Hmmm getting a bit confused, I'm getting contradicting ans. I can name alkenes, alkanes and haloaklanes just not sure about the others. Might as well just learn them...

I think that's all you need to know for the AQA spec. (to name those you mentioned only)
Hedgehunter
QUOTE]

Yeah we only do exams in the summer now. Oh and you do need to know ketones, halalkanes, carboxylic acids, alcohols etc!

Hope these help: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ , http://www.creative-chemistry.org.uk/
do we need to know the science application bits in the AS aqa chem book?
Reply 8
[QUOTE="Hedgehunter"]
rajchahal18

Yeah we only do exams in the summer now. Oh and you do need to know ketones, halalkanes, carboxylic acids, alcohols etc!

Hope these help: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ , http://www.creative-chemistry.org.uk/

for AQA..Oh..:s-smilie: I'm sure it's only the alkanes,alkenes and haloalkanes..
rajchahal18

I'm not sure if they'll ask us to name them, but we should definitely be able to recognize them.
Also, look in the front of your textbook, it doesn't have anything substantial about the history of the atom.
Reply 10
Champagne Supernova
I'm not sure if they'll ask us to name them, but we should definitely be able to recognize them.
Also, look in the front of your textbook, it doesn't have anything substantial about the history of the atom.

But that's the thing; they do :p:
Anyone else noticed a mistake at the bottom of page 84 in the new chemistry AQA textbook? The one with the girl on the front trying to inhale the fumes.
Malsi101
But that's the thing; they do :p:

:hmmm:

Well, I'm not digging it out now.
So for argument's sake, they do.

Right then, what past papers/specimen papers have you seen to do with the history of the atom?

I haven't even studied Rutherford, and the plum pudding, or any of that stuff this year so far!
Hippysnake
Anyone else noticed a mistake at the bottom of page 84 in the new chemistry AQA textbook? The one with the girl on the front trying to inhale the fumes.

:rolleyes: Nooo. She is blowing the fumes! and has weird glasses on...I mean who has that type!
Reply 14
Champagne Supernova
:hmmm:

Well, I'm not digging it out now.
So for argument's sake, they do.

Right then, what past papers/specimen papers have you seen to do with the history of the atom?

I haven't even studied Rutherford, and the plum pudding, or any of that stuff this year so far!

To be fair I haven't come across many questions(except obviously those in the books) but yeah they have about 4 pages on the atom and all the founders and stuff in the AQA Textbook.

You're not on AQA though, right?
Malsi101
To be fair I haven't come across many questions(except obviously those in the books) but yeah they have about 4 pages on the atom and all the founders and stuff in the AQA Textbook.

You're not on AQA though, right?

Of course :eek:
My only AQA course!
Hedgehunter
:rolleyes: Nooo. She is blowing the fumes! and has weird glasses on...I mean who has that type!

Look, she's clearly enjoying what she's doing, and if she's enjoying chemistry then by golly molly you can bet your bottom dollar she's inhaled some of that s***.

There was some 'history' in the Chemistry specimen paper-

(e) In 1963, krypton was found to react with fluorine. State why this discovery was unexpected.
............................................................................................................................................
(1 mark)

Answer- They thought that because Krypton was an inert gas, it was totally unreactive.
Yuuki
Since the it's a new course, which past papers would it be ideal to work on?

do the specimen paper from the aqa website and then just do the exam questions from the book?
Hippysnake
Look, she's clearly enjoying what she's doing, and if she's enjoying chemistry then by golly molly you can bet your bottom dollar she's inhaled some of that s***.

There was some 'history' in the Chemistry specimen paper-

(e) In 1963, krypton was found to react with fluorine. State why this discovery was unexpected.
............................................................................................................................................
(1 mark)

Answer- They thought that because Krypton was an inert gas, it was totally unreactive.
yeah i had that wrong when i done the specimen paper...

Look!

Latest