The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Shelly from London
can you still do that??

yes, your school just certificate the grades a year later so you can put the AS results as "pending"
Reply 21
lola1993
No offense, but the likeliness of you getting into medical school is remote to none. You're GCSE grades aren't great - was there any circumstances that affected your performance? Well done on being predicted at least 3 As though :smile: If you aren't prepared to wait a year and try again, maybe you aren't that committed to medicine anyway? Just try and get into a science course then - they're much less competitive and your average GCSE grades are likely to do.

Ignore all the text in red :smile: It's complete and utter turd.
lola1993
No offense, but the likeliness of you getting into medical school is remote to none. You're GCSE grades aren't great - was there any circumstances that affected your performance? Well done on being predicted at least 3 As though :smile: If you aren't prepared to wait a year and try again, maybe you aren't that committed to medicine anyway? Just try and get into a science course then - they're much less competitive and your average GCSE grades are likely to do.

:doctor:
lola1993

:withstupid:
Reply 24
lola1993

:nah: :nah: :stupid: :hahaha: :goaway: :blah: :lies: :withstupid: :nospam: :stink: :doctor: :merryxmas:
Reply 25
Ignore all the text in red It's complete and utter turd.
What part of that is 'turd'? I'm not trying to be rude to the OP, I'm just saying my opinion. I guess the OP may get into one of the lower med schools, but it depends where they have applied too. Sorry if I was rude OP :smile:
Reply 26
lola1993
What part of that is 'turd'? I'm not trying to be rude to the OP, I'm just saying my opinion. I guess the OP may get into one of the lower med schools, but it depends where they have applied too. Sorry if I was rude OP :smile:

Okay then, if you wish, replace the word 'turd' with the word 'wrong' or 'incorrect'.

The OPs chances are not slim-none because of their GCSEs! They are higher than that.

What is a "lower" medical school, by the way?
Reply 27
What is a "lower" medical school, by the way?
Well, all medical schools are good, but I mean the ones near the bottom of the med schools league table, eg. peninsula, keele, etc. But yet again, many of them ask for the same requirements as the top uni's so maybe the OP doesn't have a better chance there :/
Reply 28
lola1993
Well, all medical schools are good, but I mean the ones near the bottom of the med schools league table, eg. peninsula, keele, etc. But yet again, many of them ask for the same requirements as the top uni's so maybe the OP doesn't have a better chance there :/

League tables... :rolleyes:

The OP has a chance at a number of universities. I bet I could find ten that he/she could apply to with their GCSEs.
Reply 29
The OP has a chance at a number of universities. I bet I could find ten that he/she could apply to with their GCSEs.
Well, the OP has more than the minimum grades for the majority of med schools, but in reality, they want more than what they ask for - why would a uni settle for the OP's grades rather than a 10 A*s candidate?
Reply 30
lola1993
Well, the OP has more than the minimum grades for the majority of med schools, but in reality, they want more than what they ask for - why would a uni settle for the OP's grades rather than a 10 A*s candidate?
Are you so stupid and naive to believe that medical schools care about three or four year old qualifications that have :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: all relevance to studying medicine? What's your reality? What medical schools have you got into? Don't talk :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. Now go and do one.
Reply 31
lola1993

Well most universities - other than the lazy ones - have realised that it takes so much more than a squabillion A* to make a good doctor. So they would probably use the PS to distinguish rather than a set of exams they did two years ago, probably when they were too immature to take studies seriously or went to a crap school. Once you meet the minimum grades, at most medical schools, the PS et al. is used. Not grades.
lola1993

Jesus Christ, sorry to blaspheme on Christmas day, but I hate it when children enter this forum and vomit their nonsensical drivel everywhere.
Reply 33
lola1993

I dont take that as an offence but you obviously have not red my post when you think Im not comitted to medicine.
and btw, I already mentioned quite clearly that I dont expect to get even an interview this time.
To the circumstances, I did my GCSEs 6 years ago when I was a BOY and not particularly mature or responsible.
not everybody at the age of 15-16 knows that he wants do be a doctor.
I realised this through my work, Im 22 now and Im not getting younger which makes the gap year appear in a different light, especially if you dont know wheter GCSEs will be an obstacle again, thus this thread with my question.

to everybody esle:
many thanks for the feedback.

as renal said my ASs wont be relevant but I got ABBB, the Bs are quite
high, one of them just 1 mark of an A, so it is realistic for me to achieve AAA with more effort of course.

to my medschools:
[1st choice] Leicester: Rejection without interview!
[2nd] Leeds : Rejection without interview!
[3rd] Keele: nothing so far
[4th] Newcastle: nothing so far

ps: just a coincedence that I write at 4 AM again :smile:
Reply 34
tr0n
to my medschools:
[1st choice] Leicester: Rejection without interview!
[2nd] Leeds : Rejection without interview!
[3rd] Keele: nothing so far
[4th] Newcastle: nothing so far

Keele require 4 As at GCSE :no:
tr0n
so it is realistic for me to achieve AAA with more effort of course.

Yes
Reply 36
If it comes to a situation where you get four rejections (which hopefully it won't) then I would definitely suggest that you reapply after your results. Yes your GCSE grades aren't that good however there are plenty of medical schools out there for whom that won't be a problem. Work hard to get the best results that you can and maybe think about organising some further work experience or volunteer work for your gap year. Send out emails to different medical schools telling them what your situation is and ask them if they will be willing to consider you, that way you know that you aren't applying to somewhere that is going to reject you solely on the basis of your GCSE grades.

Finally make sure you get your personal statement read by someone like one of the PS helpers on this site as they might well be able to pick out problems that your teachers at school haven't.

Don't listen to what lola1993 says either because they clearly don't know what they are talking about.
I personally can't for the life of me see why unis take someone whose applying on the basis of results fulfilled two years before the course starts, with just A level predictions to go on, as opposed to someone who's fulfilled the A level requirement at a much more recent date (and might have not particularly good grades from two years before the course starts). It just doesn't make sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending