The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LearningMath
Yes, i think the OP post is rubbish to be honest, all my friends who are at oxbridge had questions about outside interests...

Are you saying that you are contradicting the words of an admissions tutor at Selwyn College? And anyway, where did it say on that podcast, or even on the Cambridge Undergraduate website that "non-academic activities matter"? Also, I repeat, they say that "their application process is driven by ACADEMIC potential". Is playing hockey academic? Even on national level? It might even be seen as a disadvantage as if you are playing hockey for national level, wouldn't that mke you assume that this person takes priority for hockey than academic matters related to the subject choice?
Reply 21
2 5 +
Why - it's Christmas Day, sir!

Epic win. *tips hat*
im so academic is correct for once, but only because he copied out an official source. They don't care about ECs, anyone that's talked to an admissions tutor will know how obvious it is these people wouldn't care.
LearningMath
Not at all, they're actively looking for talent, even if that talent isnt backed by motivation. EE offers are still given out you know.

At Christ's College Cambridge, and even then it's only about 1/3 of them. If they are given out at other colleges, I would like a source please, not an anecdote.

Here's my source:

http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-applications/prospectus/admissions_faq/

Scroll down to: What is an Easy Offer?
im so academic
I bet they are asking like how do you go beyond the A-Level curriculum, i.e. do you do other things that show enthusiasm and passion for your degree course? Do you read around the subject etc?

Don't tell me what they asked me! I was there, I WAS ASKED! :rolleyes:
it was specifically, what you do when you are not working, tell me about your journalistic pursuits etc.
ECs can demonstrate some qualities which they are looking for. They can help an application, particularly if related to the subject you're applying for. But obviously it's not as important as some of the other factors and I don't think anyone is going to be given a decision based on their ECs.
If you don't want to build on your ECs, then be my guest not to do so, because I certainly wouldn't want to take any chances.
Mask Of Sanity
If you don't want to build on your ECs, then be my guest not to do so, because I certainly wouldn't want to take any chances.

When I was talking about ECs doesn't matter, I meant that non-academic ECs! I mean, how is playing rugby, grade 8 saxophone etc going to help your application.

HOWEVER, e.g. I'll take engineering - say you were applying for engineering, ECs that would benefit your application would be summer schools, public lecures relevant to the course, reading about thermodynamics etc. They should that you have enthusiasm and passion for your subject. Whereas, if you were applying for engineering and mention that you do international basketball and grade 7 flute - will it help matters? No. The ones in blue would benefit more than the ones in purple.
Agree or disagree with me? :yep:
Oh mate (you are male aren't you?), you shouldn't be overanalysing this stuff. There's no special formula for getting into Cambridge. In all honesty I don't get all the fuss surrounding admissions by both applicants and the unis. It's what happens on the other side that's more important.
im so academic
When I was talking about ECs doesn't matter, I meant that non-academic ECs! I mean, how is playing rugby, grade 8 saxophone etc going to help your application.

HOWEVER, e.g. I'll take engineering - say you were applying for engineering, ECs that would benefit your application would be summer schools, public lecures relevant to the course, reading about thermodynamics etc. They should that you have enthusiasm and passion for your subject. Whereas, if you were applying for engineering and mention that you do international basketball and grade 7 flute - will it help matters? No. The ones in blue would benefit more than the ones in purple.
Agree or disagree with me? :yep:

I do agree, however, that doesn't mean I'm not going to include any non-academic ECs. Every little helps. :yep: (Hopefully.)
Mask Of Sanity
I do agree, however, that doesn't mean I'm not going to include any non-academic ECs. Every little helps. :yep: (Hopefully.)

Go on then. See if I care. :smartass:
Apparently blues tend to perform better academically, so doing a lot of rowing or a lot of rugby obviously aren't hindering them. (I have no scientific proof of this, just purely anecdotal.)

Any sort of extra-curricular will be useful as a talking point, something of interest, something to show different personal qualities that three As don't show. That's not to say that being superman and doing ten different ECs will get you a place, but having something definitely isn't a bad thing.
Reply 32
im so academic
OK, I've been searching around Cambridge and I've found a podcast about admissions:

http://mediaplayer.group.cam.ac.uk/

^Go to admissions, and click on (2) Parent's Guide to Admissions.

It states that "the admission process is entirely driven by academic criteria". I.e. they don't give a damn about ECs.

As a bonus it states that, "your chance of getting a Cambridge offer is irrespective of the choice of college".

They also say that they "assess each person individually, in their individual context..."

Also, it states that "the media portrays them in a different way and Oxbridge mock interviews, courses and books are there to make money".

They say it's not about "body language, what you wear, how you speak..."

They look for:

*passion for their subjects
*passion for learning
*enthusiasm for difficult and complex ideas
*the ablility to think for themselves
*go beyong what it expected of them :yep:
*seek out the difficult, complex ideas
*get further into the subject
*motivated, committed and organised
*intectually flexible (?)

OFFICIAL: these are the factors that they assess Cambridge candidates:

*Academic record (GCSES, AS level, A Levels)
*School/college reference
*PS
*submitted work where requested
*test results (e.g. BMAT LNAT, TSA) where tests form a part of our assessment
*performance at interview

...no sign of non-academic ECs are there? They don't care about national level ping-pong, or grade 8 piano etc.

"There is no single element that will make or break an application" i.e. interview isn't EVERYTHING! And don't fret over your GCSES!

What happens if I had to re-sit some modules? What if my GCSEs aren't up to stratch? Cambridge says: "If it is a blip - it need not matter"

HOWEVER, if it's part of a pattern, it might....

Cambridge rejects around 5000 applicants who go on to get straight As or better - i.e. grades AREN'T everything, they want something else, as mention above^^^

"There is not one single ailver bullet that decides that "this student will become a first-class student""

"Having a good track record is important and is significant"

PS: It's not "why am I good?" it's "why am I right for this degree course?"

Also, be happy to discuss whatever on your PS.

The interviews are not the SOLE factor of your application.

These are some quotes I have taken off of that podcast from the link above. So, what are your opinions? :smile:

This sure is old news mate! :yep:

Grades get you an interview, duh, but then they look for 'more' at the interview as a way of distinguishing between candidates. I thought everyone knew this?!? :p:
Reply 33
TheOneWho
Apparently blues tend to perform better academically, so doing a lot of rowing or a lot of rugby obviously aren't hindering them. (I have no scientific proof of this, just purely anecdotal.)

Any sort of extra-curricular will be useful as a talking point, something of interest, something to show different personal qualities that three As don't show. That's not to say that being superman and doing ten different ECs will get you a place, but having something definitely isn't a bad thing.

Erm, no - at my interview and at everyone I know who had one at Oxbridge, they focused absolutely NOTHING on extra-curricular activities. It's all puzzles, and looking at the way in which you come to solve weird problems and the way you think, etc... NOT extra-curricular, 'cos everyone has this! :yep:
im so academic
Go on then. See if I care. :smartass:

You don't care?
YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ME? :frown:
That's it, it's over between us. I'm done with you. :no:

G'day. Dum dum dum.
Mask Of Sanity
You don't care?
YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ME? :frown:
That's it, it's over between us. I'm done with you. :no:

G'day. Dum dum dum.

So your available now? :hubba:
Reply 36
Prudy
Why should we trust you? :hmmm:

Why not? :wink:

Merry Christmas Prudy!

im so academic, this is old news and not the first time the university has admitted this. Grades, passion for subject and overall academic potential get you the interview. Questions about "outside interests" may be asked at an interview but often only to "easy you in" so quite informally. Even if they are taken into consideration they are firmly behind academics.

Also, thank you for getting Bobby Mcferrin's Don't Worry, Be Happy in my head.
Reply 37
I confess I got asked about EC's BUT I don't think it factored into my getting a place, and it doubt it factors into anyone getting a place.

It's them trying to find out more about you as a person. They want to be teaching people they're going to like and get on with, that's all.
Reply 38
River85
Why not? :wink:

Merry Christmas Prudy!

im so academic, this is old news and not the first time the university has admitted this. Grades, passion for subject and overall academic potential get you the interview. Questions about "outside interests" may be asked at an interview but often only to "easy you in" so quite informally. Even if they are taken into consideration they are firmly behind academics.

Also, thank you for getting Bobby Mcferrin's Don't Worry, Be Happy in my head.

Exactly!
Reply 39
does that mean retakes of modules matter...? or not? im confused... please enlighten me, and thanks in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending