The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
River85
Why not? :wink:

Merry Christmas Prudy!

im so academic, this is old news and not the first time the university has admitted this. Grades, passion for subject and overall academic potential get you the interview. Questions about "outside interests" may be asked at an interview but often only to "easy you in" so quite informally. Even if they are taken into consideration they are firmly behind academics.

Also, thank you for getting Bobby Mcferrin's Don't Worry, Be Happy in my head.

Touche!

Merry Christmas! :smile:

:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:
PeanutButterJellyTime
So your available now? :hubba:

Hook me up with the bunny in your sig. :wink:
Mask Of Sanity
Hook me up with the bunny in your sig. :wink:

Done.
PeanutButterJellyTime
Done.

:awesome:
Salutations to you.
River85
Why not? :wink:

Merry Christmas Prudy!

im so academic, this is old news and not the first time the university has admitted this. Grades, passion for subject and overall academic potential get you the interview. Questions about "outside interests" may be asked at an interview but often only to "easy you in" so quite informally. Even if they are taken into consideration they are firmly behind academics.

Also, thank you for getting Bobby Mcferrin's Don't Worry, Be Happy in my head.

If this is old news, how come so many people here make threads about ECs? And I can take one example "How can I make sure I get an offer" thread, where the OP was listing down his NON-ACADEMIC ECs.
Also, I thought Cambridge takes a "holistic" approach when assessing each candidate individually - see podcast (4) at first post?
Also, come on River85, you must admit that playing netball at national level and doing grade 6 clarinet is ever going to benefit your application, is it now? And you must admit that they really don't give a damn about unrelated, non-academic ECs, are they? As I quote, they look for "academic potential". Even you said that, so how does going on the X factor help matters? How does being an international model benefit your application?
jiung0416
does that mean retakes of modules matter...? or not? im confused... please enlighten me, and thanks in advance

I can tell you haven't even bothered to read my first post, or even go on the podcast link. :rolleyes:
So, Cambridge says that:
retakes don't matter, as long as it was a blip. BUT if they see a pattern, it could make a difference.
These aren't my words, but of the words of an admissions tutor at Selwyn College, Cambridge - from the Admission (2) podcast.
Reply 46
im so academic
If this is old news, how come so many people here make threads about ECs? And I can take one example "How can I make sure I get an offer" thread, where the OP was listing down his NON-ACADEMIC ECs.
Also, I thought Cambridge takes a "holistic" approach when assessing each candidate individually - see podcast (4) at first post?
Also, come on River85, you must admit that playing netball at national level and doing grade 6 clarinet is ever going to benefit your application, is it now? And you must admit that they really don't give a damn about unrelated, non-academic ECs, are they? As I quote, they look for "academic potential". Even you said that, so how does going on the X factor help matters? How does being an international model benefit your application?

Woah, calm yerself, mate. They do have an holistic approach when assessing candidates, yep, but almost all candidates have the extra-curricular factor too, so they focus on challenging your academia to a much greater degree.

Old news? :yep:
Reply 47
im so academic
I can tell you haven't even bothered to read my first post, or even go on the podcast link. :rolleyes:
So, Cambridge says that:
retakes don't matter, as long as it was a blip. BUT if they see a pattern, it could make a difference.
These aren't my words, but of the words of an admissions tutor at Selwyn College, Cambridge - from the Admission (2) podcast.

Cambridge wanna see ~90% in all your units, did you know? Wheras they say retakes 'don't matter' - of course they do, they're always comparing you to other candidates who manage to get 100% first time! Sorry if this sounds harsh, but so is life!
Mask Of Sanity
You don't care?
YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ME? :frown:
That's it, it's over between us. I'm done with you. :no:

G'day. Dum dum dum.

No, I meant that if you choose to write about the unrelated, non-academic ECs on your PS instead of the related ECs to your degree course, then it's your problem, not mine.
ADREAM
Cambridge wanna see ~90% in all your units, did you know? Wheras they say retakes 'don't matter' - of course they do, they're always comparing you to other candidates who manage to get 100% first time! Sorry if this sounds harsh, but so is life!

Source please? I could not find that information on the Cambridge website, so I will be grateful if you could find the source for me please? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 50
im so academic
Source please? I could not find that information on the Cambridge website, so I will be grateful if you could find the source for me please? Thanks. :smile:

Gah, I can't be bothered to search for sources *sorry*, but I'm being completely honest. :yep: Should be on the Cambridge website somewhere, I presume.

Or, can someone find the sources please? I thought it was just common knowledge, no? :p:
ADREAM
Woah, calm yerself, mate. They do have an holistic approach when assessing candidates, yep, but almost all candidates have the extra-curricular factor too, so they focus on challenging your academia to a much greater degree.

Old news? :yep:

oh ffs... of course they do! How else would they show enthusiasm and passion for their chosen degree course. You need to be specific, as there are two types of extra-curricular activites:

1. Academic ECs that are related to your chosen degree course - they show enthusiasm and passion for your chosen degree course.

2. Unrelated, non-academic ECs - they don't matter as much as 1.
im so academic
No, I meant that if you choose to write about the unrelated, non-academic ECs on your PS instead of the related ECs to your degree course, then it's your problem, not mine.

I got the point, I was evidently joking.
Run along now and calm down.
This much stress isn't good for you. :p:
ADREAM
Gah, I can't be bothered to search for sources *sorry*, but I'm being completely honest. :yep: Should be on the Cambridge website somewhere, I presume.

Or, can someone find the sources please? I thought it was just common knowledge, no? :p:

I've read the Cambridge website so many times, and I could not recall that information being on there. Please, to save your dignity, can you give me the source please? :puppyeyes: Otherwise, you are lying and telling rumours.
i would argue that being on the national croquet team would give you an advantage.
Reply 55
im so academic
So, Cambridge says that:

hey man, i did read ur post properly... otherwise i wouldnt post, would i? :p:
anyways, i was confused cos u said blip, and i kinda didnt understand
now i do, so does that mean as long as you dont f*** up too bad, ur fine??
so just 1 resit might be ok then?? thanks
im so academic
I've read the Cambridge website so many times, and I could not recall that information being on there. Please, to save your dignity, can you give me the source please? :puppyeyes: Otherwise, you are lying and telling rumours.

It's not. ADREAM is coming from the position that many applicants will have 90% in their ASs and ergo, would be at an advantage. This, however, does not mean that its a requirement. It's a sum of all factors. The requirements are As at A level, anything in addition helps.
Reply 57
SouthernFreerider
i would argue that being on the national croquet team would give you an advantage.

WTF why?? or are u just joking
Reply 58
im so academic

Hmm, your right, I can't quite find it on the Cambridge website, but I do - 100% confident here - recall one of the admissions tutors saying that 'we look to see a minimum of an average of 90% in most of your A-level units' on their open day back in the summer. Though there will, of course, be exceptions, most candidates will meet this threshold.
Reply 59
jiung0416
WTF why?? or are u just joking

Some people sure are easily wound up! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending