The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Damn I haven't smoked all day and this just reminded me.

I think it's tar that damages the cilia, I'm not sure about the other two.
m00t
Damn I haven't smoked all day and this just reminded me.

I think it's tar that damages the cilia, I'm not sure about the other two.

kaii thankyou, oo and please don't smoke:frown: :frown:
Reply 3
Damn it, I should know this.
Hmm..this smells like a homework question...should you be researching this by yourself rather than getting the answers easily, if so?
isawsparks89
Hmm..this smells like a homework question...should you be researching this by yourself rather than getting the answers easily, if so?

no it's revision for AS retakes--I've looked in all my revision guides but it doesn't seem to mention this:frown:
Reply 6
I think it's just smoking in general...unless I'm mistaken...can;t you just talk about how it generally damages the cilia..I don't think they;ll require you to know what specific chemical..unless, of course they want to know how..
Reply 8
smoking is sexy as
Reply 9
tut tut.
QuantumTheory

aww thankyou:smile:
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
what's the specific thing in a cigeratte that...
1) damages the cilia
2) destroys the fibrous elastin tissue
3) increases the number of protein eating phagocytes

any help much appreciated:smile: :smile:

1.) Broadly speaking, tar

2.) Well, it's the enzyme elastase, which is produced by phagocytes (so they can break down elastic tissue to allow them to migrate). So any particulates of any sort in cigarette smoke would attract phagocytes, and cause an increase in elastase. Also, oxidants oxidise elastase inhibitors, so their action continues for an extended period of time.

3.) Protein "eating" lol :p: Well, elastase also degrades protein, so as above.
Toiletpaper8
1.) Broadly speaking, tar

2.) Well, it's the enzyme elastase, which is produced by phagocytes (so they can break down elastic tissue to allow them to migrate). So any particulates of any sort in cigarette smoke would attract phagocytes, and cause an increase in elastase. Also, oxidants oxidise elastase inhibitors, so their action continues for an extended period of time.

3.) Protein "eating" lol :p: Well, elastase also degrades protein, so as above.

thankyou:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending