The Student Room Group

Manchester Met Illustration&Animation Course

Hi all

I want to study illustration and I'm going to apply this year. Manchester would be ideal for me to live in for various reasons, but I'm not sure about the course since course page on the MMU web-site provides with little or no information on the tutors, for example (I've tried googling them - not much there either). I've contacted some of recent graduates and the reviews I've received are quite good, but still - any insider infromation? :wink:

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Matisse
From my recollection, Bristol (UWE), Manchester Met, Falmouth, Brighton, Loughborough and Camberwell are frequently mentioned as the top institutions for courses that specialize in Illustration. This opinion derives from many of the illustrators I've encountered while working in the industry over the years, - particularly at the agency I am currently at that actively outsources to practicing illustrators.

When I went to their end of year show I was very impressed by the work produced.

http://www.vanessacuthbert.com/ - One of the tutors. You could email them I suppose.
Reply 2
will...
When I went to their end of year show I was very impressed by the work produced.

http://www.vanessacuthbert.com/ - One of the tutors. You could email them I suppose.

Thanks will...

I actually came across what Matisse said about MMU as was browsing throught the forums, but it was probably the only one time it's been mentioned purely in the context of illustration, not general art&design. So I thought I would still ask. :smile:

I've found Vanessa's Cuthbert web-site as well, since she is the only one of the staff who has some sort of profile on MMU illustration web-page. Unfortunately, I was'n that succesful with the other three. As to the programme leader - Ian McCullough, I wasn't able to find any information except for a few books he illustrated being sold on Amazon.com, but no web-site or portfolio. :frown: Do you think it is actually a good idea to e-mail him asking for such info though?

I'm still waiting for replies from some of the graduates and current students I sent e-mails to. I've got two so far, and they are very controversial.

Well, I can only wait for an open day early Feb, I guess. :smile:
Reply 3
MMU is my first choice. At the open day I was so impressed with the tutors. They seemed to really know what they were talking about (compared to some of the other unis) and the fact that the university has a very good name backs them up. Apparently it was the second Art school in the UK and that the university is built around the Art school, they were there first and the rest came after.

Despite it being 6 hours away from where I live and I would have to rely on my parents to pay my living costs due to the fact I want to do a foundation and can't get funding.. I still want to go there. It was truly amazing.

Latest