The Student Room Group

St Dominics Sixth Form College?

Hey guys I was just looking at the past posts about st dominics and I heard that they've rejected a lot of people. I was just wondering do they reject people after looking at their predicted grades or their real results....because my predicted grades are pretty low and I'm sure that I can get much higher in the real exams.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

GFX-K
Hey guys I was just looking at the past posts about st dominics and I heard that they've rejected a lot of people. I was just wondering do they reject people after looking at their predicted grades or their real results....because my predicted grades are pretty low and I'm sure that I can get much higher in the real exams.:confused:

omg are you applying to st. dom's in harrow-on-the-hill right??! :h:
yeah I was wondering the same thing......as well as if you are non-catholic, whether you have to have like 7 A*s to get a place (rumour I've heard) and if they consider how close you are to the school....if so i'm screwed :frown:

my friend was predicted a B, and 2 Cs in 3 of her subjects, but ended up getting A*, A*, A in the real thing :biggrin: just put in your best effort, i'm sure you'll do better than you thought =]
Reply 2
ice_dragoness274
omg are you applying to st. dom's in harrow-on-the-hill right??! :h:
yeah I was wondering the same thing......as well as if you are non-catholic, whether you have to have like 7 A*s to get a place (rumour I've heard) and if they consider how close you are to the school....if so i'm screwed :frown:

my friend was predicted a B, and 2 Cs in 3 of her subjects, but ended up getting A*, A*, A in the real thing :biggrin: just put in your best effort, i'm sure you'll do better than you thought =]

Yep I'm exactly like you lol....I live like an hour away and I'm not catholic....I just wanted to know why people get rejected??Do they look at their predicted grades or real ones....that's the problem.:rolleyes:
GFX-K
Yep I'm exactly like you lol....I live like an hour away and I'm not catholic....I just wanted to know why people get rejected??Do they look at their predicted grades or real ones....that's the problem.:rolleyes:

ohh woww, *high 5* you're non catholic too?! =]
and yeahh, I also live like an hour away from the school (I live in finchley), so i'd have to take the tube +bus+walk !
...aww, well, I think they do base it on your predicted grades :frown: ...well I know for a fact that they do their interviews in feb. and then probably give out offers before you've sat your actual GCSEs (not sure if that's exactly what they do, but im guessing so coz other places like Woodhouse College etc. do that). This might help, but their website isn't very helpful in explaining their admissions policy http://www.stdoms.ac.uk/website/Default.aspx?pagetype=How%20to%20Apply&Pageid=8

Luckily I haven't got my predicted grades yet :rolleyes: ....have to wait till Jan *fingers crossed*..>!
Reply 4
ice_dragoness274
ohh woww, *high 5* you're non catholic too?! =]
and yeahh, I also live like an hour away from the school (I live in finchley), so i'd have to take the tube +bus+walk !
...aww, well, I think they do base it on your predicted grades :frown: ...well I know for a fact that they do their interviews in feb. and then probably give out offers before you've sat your actual GCSEs (not sure if that's exactly what they do, but im guessing so coz other places like Woodhouse College etc. do that). This might help, but their website isn't very helpful in explaining their admissions policy http://www.stdoms.ac.uk/website/Default.aspx?pagetype=How%20to%20Apply&Pageid=8

Luckily I haven't got my predicted grades yet :rolleyes: ....have to wait till Jan *fingers crossed*..>!

Have you already applied yet?
GFX-K
Have you already applied yet?

nope :no: the deadline is like 6th february or something I think...but I should soon :yep: ...have you

you applying anywhere else?
and do you know if they ask for a school reference as well :confused:

Reply 6
ice_dragoness274
nope :no: the deadline is like 6th february or something I think...but I should soon :yep: ...have you

Ummmm I don't know:frown: .....I haven't applied anywhere just yet but I have the st dominics application form online as a pdf do you want it?
GFX-K
Ummmm I don't know:frown: .....I haven't applied anywhere just yet but I have the st dominics application form online as a pdf do you want it?

I've only applied to woodhouse college so far...: I need to get on with my applications, some of them have passed the deadline already :frown:

yeahh, if you have the link? :smile: thanks..
Did you go to their open day/the thing they had after for people who missed the open day?
Reply 8
GFX-K

If you arent catholic they put lots of emphasis on predicted grades as they are always very oversubscribed. As far as I'm aware they don't take distance into account, or at least that was never mentioned. From what I've gathered though from applying last year if you aren't Catholic, aren't at a Harrow High school and aren't predicted at least 6-7 A*'s then your chances are pretty slim. I'm not catholic and last year I got rejected with predictions of 3 A*/A 5A's 2 A/Bs and 1B. When my mum asked for feedback they said my predicted grades were not good enough. The only non catholic I know of who got in was predicted 7A*'s.
Reply 9
ice_dragoness274

St Doms ask for both a school and religious reference [as far as I'm aware everywhere asks for a school reference for 6th form]. The school one is just standard though- its a grid and the referee just has to tick whether they rate your attendance, punctuality, behaviour, ability to meet deadlines as excellent, good, satisfactory or poor from what I remember. My school decided to make extra work for themselves by ignoring the reference box and instead sending individual references from all my subject teachers which said exactly the same thing- I tried hard + a lot of waffle.
GFX-K

Most people that i know of who got in were predicted mostly A*s/As and maybe one or two Bs. Their offers/rejections are based on predicted grades and your interview but don't stress, just apply and get that done with, there's nothing you can do at the moment is there? I would say focus on getting your grades up and getting those As/A*s, you only have until May! If you have a good interview and they think you're a promising student they'll either accept you or put you on the waiting list. If not, and you get higher grades in the summer then call them up as soon as you get your results :smile: One of my friends did this last year and she got in.

Also there's a lot of hype about colleges like St. Doms . . . in the end it's up to how much effort you put into your work, not where you study.
Reply 11
I go st doms. If youre predicted great grades like 8 A*and you get those grades you get in automatically. If your predicted grades aren't that good and you get rejected they may ask you to go on the waiting list at a cost of £5. If you think you can get better grades than you are predicted go on the waiting list, u will probaly be accepted.
You need to be religious. I know loads of non Catholics there who only got like 4As.
It's not that great a college, it's made out to be amazing when it's actually not. It's very heavily racially divided and the vast majority of people there are of one particular race. Good Luck.
Reply 12
Ok now from what i've heard, I think theyr're wierd LMAO:biggrin:.....and a bit racist.....hmmmmm....forget it.
The racial divison isn't really that suprising considering that most of the Catholics come from the same two schools [sacred heart & salvatorian] and 99.9% of these will be white and they already know each other whilst the non catholics will mostly be non white [mostly asian i think] and come from other schools.

Also, I don't think the interview is that important. Certainly last year it seemed like they had decided who to give places to before the interviews had even happened as everyone I knew who got places were interviewed in the Hume Hall, whilst everyone I know who got rejected/waitlisted [including me] was interviewed in the Aquinas building. I reckon thats more than just a coincidence. Also they asked me & other people in Aquinas small details like what we got in our yr9 sats [my interviewer couldnt grasp the fact that many independant schools dont do them] and what religion our parents were [again awkward for me cos my dad is an athiest], whilst those in Hume Hall never got asked these questions.
Reply 14
jelly1000
The racial divison isn't really that suprising considering that most of the Catholics come from the same two schools [sacred heart & salvatorian] and 99.9% of these will be white and they already know each other whilst the non catholics will mostly be non white [mostly asian i think] and come from other schools.

Also, I don't think the interview is that important. Certainly last year it seemed like they had decided who to give places to before the interviews had even happened as everyone I knew who got places were interviewed in the Hume Hall, whilst everyone I know who got rejected/waitlisted [including me] was interviewed in the Aquinas building. I reckon thats more than just a coincidence. Also they asked me & other people in Aquinas small details like what we got in our yr9 sats [my interviewer couldnt grasp the fact that many independant schools dont do them] and what religion our parents were [again awkward for me cos my dad is an athiest], whilst those in Hume Hall never got asked these questions.

yh i know that if your not catholic or come form the sister schools, you need admirable grades to be accepted.

Jelly1000, may i ask what predicted grades you had when you applied to Doms?

Im sure there is a cutoff point with grades as you say they make their mind up before inviting for interview
dheemal
yh i know that if your not catholic or come form the sister schools, you need admirable grades to be accepted.

Jelly1000, may i ask what predicted grades you had when you applied to Doms?

Im sure there is a cutoff point with grades as you say they make their mind up before inviting for interview

My predicted grades were 3 A*/A's 4A's 2 A/B's and 1 B. Much higher than I actually got in the end but thats beside the point.
Reply 16
jelly1000
My predicted grades were 3 A*/A's 4A's 2 A/B's and 1 B. Much higher than I actually got in the end but thats beside the point.

wow, thats still a very good set of grades though

What school are you studying at now?
dheemal
wow, thats still a very good set of grades though

What school are you studying at now?

Hatch End for History, Politics & Psychology and R.E. at Nower Hill, Hatch End isn't that bad really the lower school are a bit wild, but the 6th form are great, I've met some great people and its been very interesting to experience both sides of the education sector as I was in a private school from reception to yr11. Another thing is that the lessons are 2 hours so I now have a much longer concentration span, before I would switch off after about 50 mins, even in History, now my concentration is just as good at the end of the lesson as at the start which shall be useful at uni in lectures e.c.t

It is though a little frustrating to think that if I was Catholic those grades would have got me in easily- a Catholic friend of mine [interviewed at Hume Hall] who was predicted less than me was told at the interview she had a place. I also applied to Woodhouse College but turned down my place on the waiting list for two reasons. Firstly the distance, it would have taken me about an hour to get there [which I believe is the man reason why they put me on the waiting list in the first place- they do give some priority to people living nearer [the women questioned where I live at interview], which is only fair really] and I didn't think it was particularly worth it to travel all that way. Anyway, now I've moved even further away and it would be an even longer journey to get there.

And I also applied to Watford Grammar, was very lucky to get an interview there and would have had a genuine chance to get a place had I not messed up my interview. I put History down as my first choice subject and the interviewer immediatley asked me - who do you think was more evil, Stalin or Hitler. My brain went blank and all I could say was Stalin, all the reasons to back up my answer were being mashed up in my brain. The women had to prompt me a few times. I'm really not fussed at all now, because at Watford they have to wear full uniform in the 6th form, which I really didn't like the idea of [I remember complaining about uniform in reception]. Also, they dont offer psychology to new people, their RE course was philosophy and hinduism, I wanted to do and am doing now Philosophy and Ethics. And they make yr12's do P.E. as well, which I hated the idea of- and having to buy a PE kit for just 1 year.

Good luck with the whole 6th form application buisness.
Reply 18
But if you think about it, it is a catholic college. There are many Hindu/Muslim schools who let no other religions in
Reply 19
Also 80% of the students are Asian and the rest black or white.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending