Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Firm Insurance and Decline

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi im a bit of a newbie when it comes to this ucas business and i have had all my offers back.

when i go to accpet them it says pick either 1) Firm 2) Insurance 3) Decline

i was just wondering what does insurance mean and can i accept two or three offers ?

thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    your insurance, is your back up choice to your firm choice,just in case you don't get the grades in your firm choice.if that makes sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what happens if you only want to go to one uni, but you've applied to the regular 5? do you still have to pick an insurance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So whatever course you most want to study put as your firm and then put your next favourite choice as your insurance. it's there as a back up in case you don't get the grades to get into your firm choice so it's suggested that the grade requirements for the insurance are lower.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somnambulistic grace)
    what happens if you only want to go to one uni, but you've applied to the regular 5? do you still have to pick an insurance?
    Just put it as your firm choice and then choose a back up out of the remaining four. You might as well as it costs nothing and gives you something to fall back on in the event something with your exams goes wrong. You can decline it and not put an insurance but there's little point to doing that.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    Just put it as your firm choice and then choose a back up out of the remaining four. You might as well as it costs nothing and gives you something to fall back on in the event something with your exams goes wrong. You can decline it and not put an insurance but there's little point to doing that.
    I disagree. The OP made it clear that he is only interested in one of his offers. If he selects an insurance choice (that he wouldn't ever go to) he will cause *******s for himself should he fail to get into his firm as he will be delayed in entering clearing (while he extricates himself from his insurance), at a time when time is of the essence.

Don't accept an offer that you know you would never take up. But, equally, don't make these decisions until you have thought them through very carefully.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I disagree. The OP made it clear that he is only interested in one of his offers. If he selects an insurance choice (that he wouldn't ever go to) he will cause *******s for himself should he fail to get into his firm as he will be delayed in entering clearing (while he extricates himself from his insurance), at a time when time is of the essence.

Don't accept an offer that you know you would never take up. But, equally, don't make these decisions until you have thought them through very carefully.
    I thought about that but assumed that no Uni course would have been available to the OP during clearing that he would have liked to go to. By the sounds of it this course is the only one he wants to be on and i get the impression that he would reapply for 2010 entry should he not meet the grades this time. I think putting an insurance down that he wouldn't mind going to gives him the option, should he fail to meet the grades, of reapplying next year or deciding that a gap year isn't really worth it. I think that if there was even a close substitute to his main choice it would have been one of his options, which wouldn't have been bettered during clearing.

Although OP, if there really is NO other substitute and you know for certain you would reapply next year then don't bother with the insurance as it will save you having to decline it come August.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 26, 2008
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.