The Student Room Group

revising for AS biology

I am currently doing AS biology on the OCR exam board. I have my cells, exchange, and transport exam on 14th of Jan.

Both me and my friend are finding it almost impossible to revise. With a subject like maths, you can just keep practicing, but with biology, it's so difficult to take in all the facts. We coped ok at GCSE but now it's like a mountain. I find that nothing goes in when I read the textbook.

So the point of this thread is, how do you go about revising biology?
Reply 1
Poshtotty
I am currently doing AS biology on the OCR exam board. I have my cells, exchange, and transport exam on 14th of Jan.

Both me and my friend are finding it almost impossible to revise. With a subject like maths, you can just keep practicing, but with biology, it's so difficult to take in all the facts. We coped ok at GCSE but now it's like a mountain. I find that nothing goes in when I read the textbook.

So the point of this thread is, how do you go about revising biology?

Got exactly the same exam, and I hear your problems too.

It is very hard to study for it, but you have to realise the mark schemes are quite broad, in that you don't need to know every specific point, just some examples of each point are enough to even get you 100%, if your understanding is solid and you have the correct exam technique.

It is quite dry though I have to agree, not the most interesting topic. :no:
Reply 2
These are rather generic rather than for biology specifically, but I:

Go to flashcardexchange.com and make flashcards
Read a page, write as much as I can remember from it and what I don't write down, I learn (especially helpful with learning what the organelles do)
Make mindmaps with colour and writing on the lines
Doing something, then doing something else, after completing the second 'something' I test myself on what I studied initially to make sure I remember it
Review in the order, after: 10 minutes, one day, one week, one month. (Only the 'after one week' will apply to you and I)
Reply 3
DJkG.1

It is quite dry though I have to agree, not the most interesting topic. :no:

I found the human section a bit more interesting that the plant section. But the human section is even more difficult to revise. All this stuff to do with the cardiac cycle, ECG's, various parts of the heart etc. is so confusing.

I actually thought that biology would be one of the easiest subjects in comparison to physics and maths but i'm actually finding it so difficult. It's so wordy.

I quite like the module on food and nutrition in unit 2 though. I'm not sure if you've started learning that yet.
Reply 4
Woody.
These are rather generic rather than for biology specifically, but I:

Go to flashcardexchange.com and make flashcards
Read a page, write as much as I can remember from it and what I don't write down, I learn (especially helpful with learning what the organelles do)
Make mindmaps with colour and writing on the lines
Doing something, then doing something else, after completing the second 'something' I test myself on what I studied initially to make sure I remember it
Review in the order, after: 10 minutes, one day, one week, one month. (Only the 'after one week' will apply to you and I)

I've made some flashcards. It seems to be the only method that is working for me.

Reading a page never works for me as I will probably be able to recite most of it but not understand it, and then I'll forget it 2 hours later.
Reply 5
Poshtotty
I found the human section a bit more interesting that the plant section. But the human section is even more difficult to revise. All this stuff to do with the cardiac cycle, ECG's, various parts of the heart etc. is so confusing.

I actually thought that biology would be one of the easiest subjects in comparison to physics and maths but i'm actually finding it so difficult. It's so wordy.

I quite like the module on food and nutrition in unit 2 though. I'm not sure if you've started learning that yet.

Hmm, I'm finding the human stuff a bit easier (unit one module two), possibly because we did quite a lot of that last year when our teacher went beyond the syllabus and taught us about the cardiac cycle and the lungs in greater detail than was required at the time.

And I like the module on food + nutrition in unit two as well, but that's not going to be in the January exam. I'd rather do that than cell ultrastructure any day!
huh????? Why am I doing Foundation, and Human Health and Disease but with OCR too. Me confused :frown:
Reply 7
Advanced Subsidiary
huh????? Why am I doing Foundation, and Human Health and Disease but with OCR too. Me confused :frown:

Well there is only 1 course for OCR biology AS for 2008.

Are you sure you're on OCR? Or maybe you are doing the old course? Or you're doing it backwards and sitting unit 2 first? Not too sure.
Poshtotty
Well there is only 1 course for OCR biology AS for 2008.

Are you sure you're on OCR? Or maybe you are doing the old course? Or you're doing it backwards and sitting unit 2 first? Not too sure.

i did Module 3 the transport one earlier in June, then doing these two in Jan.

Latest

Trending

Trending