The Student Room Group

Decision Maths 1

Anyone retaking or going to take decision maths in Jan?
If so,any tips you can tell me??Im retaking again,as Im not happy with the result last year.
I find deicision papers contain too much language instead of actual maths,perhaps this is why its a applied maths topic
I dont know the difference between upper bound and lower bound,examples would be handy.. :smile:
and chinese postman problem,I do not think i still undertstand :frown:
in the exam,its extremely time-consuming to read all the questions with lengthy sentences, which I find quite annoying
Im so worried!I
gah im gonna fail,I really do not like applied maths topics!:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
MCYan
Anyone retaking or going to take decision maths in Jan?
If so,any tips you can tell me??Im retaking again,as Im not happy with the result last year.
I find deicision papers contain too much language instead of actual maths,perhaps this is why its a applied maths topic
I dont know the difference between upper bound and lower bound,examples would be handy.. :smile:
and chinese postman problem,I do not think i still undertstand :frown:
in the exam,its extremely time-consuming to read all the questions with lengthy sentences, which I find quite annoying
Im so worried!I wish
gah im gonna fail,I really do not like applied maths topics!:frown:

generic: do some past papers

factual: check this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_inspection_problem and this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_bound

personal: D1 is a piece of piss if you do some reading and do a few past papers, dont worry about it
Reply 2
All the advice I can give you is to learn the algorithms and sorts and similar.

D1 is about knowing the stuff alot more than it is about being able to apply it exceptionally well.

All you have to do to get high marks is spend 30 mins a day going over a couple of different algorithms or sorst and then by the end of a week you will know most of it.
Reply 3
Chaoslord
generic: do some past papers

factual: check this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_inspection_problem and this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_bound

personal: D1 is a piece of piss if you do some reading and do a few past papers, dont worry about it

lol thats what you think..I find it emm pointless and not easy :O
Reply 4
By the way,I did the exam last year in June,the questions were unbelieveably hard, and it was so different compared to the past questions Ive done!it even had vectors!what the hell!
By the way it was OCR
Reply 5
MCYan
lol thats what you think..I find it emm pointless and not easy :O

if you want a summery on the algorithms of D1 i can send them to you, just pm me your email

i made the notes for a friend a while back
Reply 6
D1 is the easiest module ever (apart from possibly S2). Unfortunately, it's also easily the most boring.
I've had about 5 hours of proper teaching and done no revision for it. I thought i'd try out a past paper yesterday and i got 60+/72 and the marks i dropped were from an algorithm i couldnt remember. I've found it really easy, just a cheap 100UMS marks to take all pressure off C4 in the summer :smile:.
Reply 8
DaveParlour
just a cheap 100UMS marks

Don't get too complacent. It may be very easy, but I doubt there's many people who could walk in and get 100% without plenty of practice and revision.
tommm
Don't get too complacent. It may be very easy, but I doubt there's many people who could walk in and get 100% without plenty of practice and revision.

Nah, i am planning on doing alot of revision for it, i bet my mate £20 i'd beat him on it. :smile: I'm sure ill make a couple of stupid mistakes though, i always do.
Reply 10
does anyone have the answers to the D1 mock paper?
Reply 11
Which exam board? the 'mock' paper is most likely the paper that was sat in june 08 - to my knowledge there is no set mock paper by the exam boards
Reply 12
edexcel...got a paper ref 6689/01...do u have it??
Reply 13
what mock papers??
There is a new D1 Mock paper for the new spec and I ahve it but as a hard copy only :frown:
can anyone tell me what chapters we need to learn? plzz help
Reply 16
Reply 17
anyone knnows whether OCR change specification this year?Im retaking..
Reply 18
Chaoslord
if you want a summery on the algorithms of D1 i can send them to you, just pm me your email

i made the notes for a friend a while back

hello I have got ur email and document,but I dont think its finished?or is this the one?
Sorry about this & thanks
MCYan
hello I have got ur email and document,but I dont think its finished?or is this the one?
Sorry about this & thanks

its got most of the algorithms i think iunno i made it for someone who doesn't study D1 just to give him a grip on some basic algorithms for computer science

Quick Reply

Latest