The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Catchetat
I'm not asking for a rearrangement. I just want the panel to take into consideration that I have a mock exam to prepare in addition to the interview...
Two thoughts;

1. Why do you care? Presumably this mock is entirely for the purposes of your revision and exam prep which you'd be doing anyway, regardless of whether there was a mock exam or not.

2. Why does anyone else care? What's their interest in seeing that you haven't 'prepared' for interview because you have more important things to be buggering around with?
Catchetat
I'm not asking for a rearrangement. I just want the panel to take into consideration that I have a mock exam to prepare in addition to the interview...

Oh I see. But let me ask you one question. Which one is more important? Personally I would say the medic interview, as this may be the only medic interview you may get. Don't get me wrong prepare for your mock but prepare more for the interview. Good luck. I hope you get in.
Juggling a million and one situations at one given point, performing under pressured/stressful circumstances - isn't that what Doctorhood will one day entail anyway?
No time like the present to acclimatise yourself to it eh :p:
Van der Zak
What are you trying to say?

Having a mock is not a valid excuse to rearrange your medic interview imo.

I was trying to say that most people will have real exams next month, which is a lot more work than mock exams because they will actually count for something.

Interviewers know this, and therefore will not expect people to bother telling them about a meaningless test.

I was agreeing with you. :smile:
Reply 24
Only a mock exam? Are you being serious, OP?
Reply 25
Catchetat
Personally I really don't know.... I've asked for opinions here but most people sided towards preparing for the mock which is more important :s-smilie:

No, I think in levels of importance it is:

#1 MED-SCHOOL INTERVIEW
#2 MOCK

I would have thought that was quite obvious :s-smilie:

p/s are the people that sided towards you preparing for the mock also applying for the same course? :p:
Some people have real exams that count for their A Levels and have interviews. I had three exams and a coursework deadline coming up and I had four interviews over the 'revision' period (admittedly not for medicine, but that's irrelevant), and my medic friend was in the same situation.

If you tell them about your mock, the only response you'll get is admission tutor laughter as they wonder if you're really cut out to be a doctor.
Catchetat
But it does say 'in your opinion, may adversely affect your performance in the interview'

In my opinion, it does. Not sure if it would be adversely but it does lessen the time I have in prep for my interview.

Mitigating circumstances = family problems, bereavement, being a recent victim of crime, etc

EVERYONE has mocks, project work, etc, it is a fact of life, so effectively it is a level playing field. You can bring it up if you wish, but personally I can see it actually having a negative effect on your application.

You're applying to a challenging/stressful course and career, if you can't take sitting informal exams remotely close to an interview how are you going to manage doing medicine, or in fact any challenging university course? How are you going to be able to work when you're dealing with life and death situations?

You should have been preparing for this for weeks if not months beforehand, you either have answers to their questions or you don't. You are either good at communicating, or you aren't.

Mocks count for jack, it doesn't matter if you concentrate on your interview preparation at the cost of your mock exam performance. Most of the vets, medics, dentists, etc I've met and worked with are the type of people who can excel at both.
Reply 28
you're joking right?
Reply 29
notepad

No, I think in levels of importance it is:

#1 MED-SCHOOL INTERVIEW
#2 MOCK

I would have thought that was quite obvious :s-smilie:

p/s are the people that sided towards you preparing for the mock also applying for the same course? :p:

Yes.. Those (most) who told me to prepare for the mock are also applying to medicine...

Clearly, everyone here says that I shouldn't be telling them about my mock exam. Revision is something we should be doing on a regular basis but it is unlikely for someone who does the IB because it's work, work and work everyday. Personally, I don't have the time to do revision as well.....

So I'm guessing.... focus more on my interview than on my mock exams?
Reply 30
Please do not become a doctor.

if you can't handle two things at once, you will fail at being a doctor.
Reply 31
QuantumTheory
Whaaat?
If your parents die in a horrific crash, or you get diagnosed with AIDS (Actually, then you couldn't be a doctor, right?).
Anyway, they're the kind of things this means.

Everyone has mocks.
It's life. >_>

Wrong
Reply 32
HAHAHAHA at this thread! :rofl: What an imbesile..

"To Mr Interviewer, i had to get a train here rather than a comfy car, so i had less time to prepare. Please take this into consideration!"
Reply 33
becky.fm

"To Mr Interviewer, i had to get a train here rather than a comfy car, so i had less time to prepare. Please take this into consideration!"

Ok... Get your idea. Just getting peer reviews so I won't be considered negligent... (Bolam principle)

Btw it's spelt imbecile....
Reply 34
OP, the problem you might have if you warn them that you have an exam coming up that might affect you interview performance is the loss of a place at medical school. I have been on interview panels and that sort of comment would loose you your offer immediately. If you get in to medical school you are going to have constant exams and assessments for up to 6 years in addition to attending placements everyday.

They will not offer places to people who are a risk of being unable to cope with the workload.
Reply 35
Egypt
OP, the problem you might have if you warn them that you have an exam coming up that might affect you interview performance is the loss of a place at medical school. I have been on interview panels and that sort of comment would loose you your offer immediately. If you get in to medical school you are going to have constant exams and assessments for up to 6 years in addition to attending placements everyday.

They will not offer places to people who are a risk of being unable to cope with the workload.

Exactly. Are you an interviewer, btw?
Reply 36
Egypt

Thanks. Your advice really helps, especially your credibility for someone who's been on interview panels before.
Catchetat
But it does say 'in your opinion, may adversely affect your performance in the interview'

In my opinion, it does. Not sure if it would be adversely but it does lessen the time I have in prep for my interview.

Hey! It's me, your classmate.

Anyway, I actually think it's worth telling them. If they deem it too minor to consider, then... I guess you'll have to put up with it. High chances are they'll ignore it anyway.
Reply 38
becky.fm
Jesus :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: wept.
Is it your Manchester interview? I had one the other week, sweet offer, but anyway mine was really nice. I got absolutely grilled buckled under pressure and gave the most stupid answer ever! I think they just say that to make you feel good, for the physics ones they had already decided if you were getting an offer before you came for interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending