The Student Room Group
Why??
Reply 2
I have to say the bad bits haven't really hit me yet. I'm loving it. Da da da da daaaaaaaa. Sorry.

So whats making you rethink?
Reply 3
Minnieb48
The disadvantages of doing med. has suddenly magnified in 'awfullness' :frown: .

Anyone else feeling the same?

P.S I'm actually thinking of rejecting all my offers...okay..both of my offers.

What is making you suddenly feel this way? Most people get nervous when uni offers start coming in, whether it's because they suddenly realise they will soon be leaving home, studying something new/different and in my case doubting that I'd be good enough for my course.

Can I suggest that you wait a little while before rejecting your offers. If you're worried you aren't good enough to be a doctor then remember how many ppl apply for medicine each yeah and how few get in - they chose you as they thought u'd make a great doctor. If on the other hand it's because you're beginning to think something else would appeal to you more then that's fine and you can either enter clearing or reapply next year.

Why don't you tell us why you think you suddenly feel this way. I'm sure there are plenty of medics on here (I'm afraid I'm not one of them but I have several gd medic friends) who can offer advice/support.
Reply 4
To be perfectly honest...i dont know. It sort of popped out of the blue a week ago and its still here. Logic tells me that its probably because of 'change' but why am i..erm..'attacking' the course rather than further education?

okay, so i probably won't reject the offers.....So how easy is it to go from med into something like....Archeology? lol....i know...
I feel the same sometimes, well sometimes we all have 2nd thoughts, but for me if i did its mainly cus of the pressure im at right now to get the grades now i have an offer. Its so hard for me i got ABB at As and go to a crappyish school where the average grade is DDD. I gota push this to AAB and dont know how im gona do it. Im trying tho but it does get to me i think, well am i even gud enuf for medicine, im gona be left behind all those 5 A students maybe? but then i think of the fun we will av on the course n the interesting job, and realise its worth the hard work.

I think we all get worried, n i find this is the hardest year of my life sofar, so many ups n downs. /For me its the not knowing where ill be/what im gona be doing/who ill know this time next year. change is scarey. This time next yr we will probly laugh and think why the worry.
If archeology is one of your interests then you can follow that up doing medicine. Many archeological digs *need* doctors, but doctors don't seem to need these digs for employment. I spent the first, say, 16-17 years of my life wanting to be an archeologist, so I know a fair bit about it if you need help. I'd still say that you should take medicine instead though.
wednesburywench
I feel the same sometimes, well sometimes we all have 2nd thoughts, but for me if i did its mainly cus of the pressure im at right now to get the grades now i have an offer. Its so hard for me i got ABB at As and go to a crappyish school where the average grade is DDD. I gota push this to AAB and dont know how im gona do it. Im trying tho but it does get to me i think, well am i even gud enuf for medicine, im gona be left behind all those 5 A students maybe? but then i think of the fun we will av on the course n the interesting job, and realise its worth the hard work.

I think we all get worried, n i find this is the hardest year of my life sofar, so many ups n downs. /For me its the not knowing where ill be/what im gona be doing/who ill know this time next year. change is scarey. This time next yr we will probly laugh and think why the worry.

Yeh, it sucks. I'm the only person in my maths, biology or chemistry class who is aiming for an A, and this means that the teachers are teaching us to a B/ C standard. I've been told to make up for the rest by working at home.
I dread to think what university will be like if A' levels suck this much. I daresay the worst part of it is in my friends though. They seem to be suffering a lot more, and it's not nice to watch.
Reply 8
In reply to wednesburywench. I hope it doesnt sound like im having a go at you here, but i've read on several occasions, over some 3 forums, how you seem to doubt your ability to meet the grades for your offer - just because of your school.

Basically i was in a similar situation to you. Last year i applied for deferred entry (for 2005) for medicine at KCL, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds.

Coming from a school where the average GCSE grades are 5 A-C's and where the average A-level scores are CDD, where nobody has applied for Medicine since the last so many years, was an extreme struggle.

I was actually told that id have 'to go it all alone' since none of my teachers had any experience with personal statements or what type of references to write to make me look like an able prospective medic.

Like ThePenguinMafia..i was in classes where the teachers were making us work at a pace so that we would maybe get C's as the majority of the people in my classes only needed C's to meet their offers. But i had to get A's and this meant i basically had to cover most of the work myself, in my own time. Eventually i decided to leave college after the january exams and studied at home for the rest of the year.

When it came to interviews, i turned to teachers for help since id read on other forums how students had mock interviews from teachers. My teacher gave me a telephone number, called and i was told that this person wanted to charge me £80 per mock interview session (20 minutes).

I knew no other medical applicants/medstudents so really i was kind of lost as to what to expect. But somehow, in the end i ended up with 4 offers, and got 4a's. I'm now gapping and off to KCL in september.

What im saying is no matter how 'crap' your school is or what its average grades are etc, If you're 100% committed and determined then you should have no problem getting those grades. It might mean you'll have to put that extra bit of hard work in, so do it and this time next year im sure you'll be in medschool. Good luck!
ShOcKzZ
In reply to wednesburywench. I hope it doesnt sound like im having a go at you here, but i've read on several occasions, over some 3 forums, how you seem to doubt your ability to meet the grades for your offer - just because of your school.

Basically i was in a similar situation to you. Last year i applied for deferred entry (for 2005) for medicine at KCL, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds.

Coming from a school where the average GCSE grades are 5 A-C's and where the average A-level scores are CDD, where nobody has applied for Medicine since the last so many years, was an extreme struggle.

I was actually told that id have 'to go it all alone' since none of my teachers had any experience with personal statements or what type of references to write to make me look like an able prospective medic.

Like ThePenguinMafia..i was in classes where the teachers were making us work at a pace so that we would maybe get C's as the majority of the people in my classes only needed C's to meet their offers. But i had to get A's and this meant i basically had to cover most of the work myself, in my own time. Eventually i decided to leave college after the january exams and studied at home for the rest of the year.

When it came to interviews, i turned to teachers for help since id read on other forums how students had mock interviews from teachers. My teacher gave me a telephone number, called and i was told that this person wanted to charge me £80 per mock interview session (20 minutes).

I knew no other medical applicants/medstudents so really i was kind of lost as to what to expect. But somehow, in the end i ended up with 4 offers, and got 4a's. I'm now gapping and off to KCL in september.

What im saying is no matter how 'crap' your school is or what its average grades are etc, If you're 100% committed and determined then you should have no problem getting those grades. It might mean you'll have to put that extra bit of hard work in, so do it and this time next year im sure you'll be in medschool. Good luck!

heroic effort.
thank you :smile: what an inspiring story. My teachers dont care either, its so disheartening aint it. I am working hard, i worked so hard over christmas for the january exams, never stopped. But then the exams came and i feel iv done badly, cus they were mean. Its made me worry a bit but i realise i cant be put off, and just need to carry on working hard. Im determined to get in as iv come as far to get an offer, i need to fulfill it now! I want to be like you, i dont think giving up 6th form would be a good idea for me as i feel maths is something that requires a teacher. I am putting in a load of other effort though. im also considering getting a private tutor maybe for a couple of hours a week but im not sure whether it would be worth it? what does everyone think? I think maybe for maths/chem it might be, but not biology as that is pure learning really.

good luck to everyone. Thanks for that post its made me more determined in a way..if someone else can do it then so can i :smile:
also if you dont mind me asking what were your AS grades like? as good as your A2s or did you retake some? or did you improve without retaking? i got ABB (low bs- 217 for both) and am wondering if i should retake or if i could make it without retaking? im thinking i need to retake wondered wat u did?
Reply 12
wednesburywench
Thanks for that post its made me more determined in a way..if someone else can do it then so can i :smile:

:smile: And i'm sure you will, just keep at it!!
About resits: I actually got ABBB at AS [Maths, Biology, Chemistry, IT]
My B's were a little higher than yours but still quite far off A's. In Jan 2004 i resat: Chemistry 2,3 : Biology 2 : IT 3

I would definately consider resits. They will also help for the synoptic and it seems as though you need high marks if you dont resit anyway in which you'd have to learn EVERYTHING so you may as well resit the individual exams.
thanks a lot. yeah i will resit, didnt really av time to think bout doin em b4 the jan exams, but i will defo do em in june. im gona do biology paper 1 i think it is, and chem paper 1 and 3 cus paper 2 was the hardest i thought n i did the best on it lol!! paper one looks like childs play now weve done paper 4. its amzing how an extra few months of study helps you to understand so much better!
Reply 14
Minnieb48
The disadvantages of doing med. has suddenly magnified in 'awfullness' :frown: .

Anyone else feeling the same?

P.S I'm actually thinking of rejecting all my offers...okay..both of my offers.

Everyone has doubts sometimes. Including me and I'm 3 months away from qualifying and have a job lined up for August :rolleyes:

The thing you have to think about is what made you apply for medicine in the first place and whether that 'feeling' is still there. Something only you can answer. In my case, although I get terrified that I don't know enough and that I'll kill someone on my first day at work, I know that I want to be a doctor more than anything and can't really see myself doing anything else. And I have LOVED the last 5 years, I really have.

Think about what you're giving up if you reject your offers. I know lots of people who've done other things (law, art, history) AFTER doing medicine. It's much harder to do it the other way round.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
I feel exactly the same. Im starting to get second thoughts and dunno what to do its really depressing.
Reply 16
i think we all know the feeling of not thinking that we can cope especially with demanding courses like med, vet etc. For me the last bout of doubt started kicking in last week as we have exams starting tomorrow and i dont see how i can pass them, and then if by some sheer fluke i do pass how the hell am i going to pass the next 4 1/2 years - everything is so complicated i just dont know how people can do it. However depite these doubts you have to keep telling yourslef that you CAN do it and if all these other people can do it then so can you. On top if that i keep reminding myself why i really want to be here and why i want to be a vet. These thoughts combined with listening to people in higher years and who have already qualified can still give me hope and so hopefully this time next year it will be me telling all the little
And if all else fails dont give up - or just go out with your mates for a bit to get away from everything!!
Reply 17
wednesburywench
thanks a lot. yeah i will resit, didnt really av time to think bout doin em b4 the jan exams, but i will defo do em in june. im gona do biology paper 1 i think it is, and chem paper 1 and 3 cus paper 2 was the hardest i thought n i did the best on it lol!! paper one looks like childs play now weve done paper 4. its amzing how an extra few months of study helps you to understand so much better!

Are you doing edexcel chemistry?? If you are, then do do paper 2, because most people by saying this I am not saying evryone def will or has in the past ) improve loads on it (ie get full marks) because it is organic and you have to learn it anyway for paper 4 & 5 . Thats just what my teacher has advised anyway!! - GOOD LUCK!!

Latest