The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My understanding is that Cambridge put more emphasis on UMS marks for A levels, and on your GCSE grades than Oxford, whereas Oxford have aptitude tests for most of their subjects, which they use as a discriminating factor between candidates.
Andy the Anarchist
My understanding is that Cambridge put more emphasis on UMS marks for A levels, and on your GCSE grades than Oxford, whereas Oxford have aptitude tests for most of their subjects, which they use as a discriminating factor between candidates.

Correct, but Cambridge also have tests for certain subjects, which are normally sat when the candidate is invited for interview.
Reply 3
Would you also say that interviews are more important for Oxford than Cambridge?
Reply 4
AG27
Would you also say that interviews are more important for Oxford than Cambridge?

No. If I were going to suggest either (which I am not), I'd go the other way round, as Cambridge invite a higher proportion of applicants for interview.
Reply 5
AG27

Not really. They're very important for both.
Reply 6
So, are the notable differences that as Andy said Cambridge look more at grades and marks, and Oxford look more at the performances on their own tests?
AG27
So, are the notable differences that as Andy said Cambridge look more at grades and marks, and Oxford look more at the performances on their own tests?

Depends, a lot of emphasis is put on GCSE grades for Oxford Medicine applicants.

If you tell us what subject you're thinking of applying for (I'm presuming this is why you're asking these questions!), we might be able to offer better advice :smile:
AG27

Well Cambridge ask you to specifically state the UMS score you got in your AS levels, Oxford don't. Oxford set more tests for subjects, and set them across the university, whereas Cambridge colleges vary in what they ask for, with some asking you to sit a test, some asking for written work etc.

Oh, and for medicine, obviously they care about GCSEs everywhere you apply
Reply 9
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Depends, a lot of emphasis is put on GCSE grades for Oxford Medicine applicants.

If you tell us what subject you're thinking of applying for (I'm presuming this is why you're asking these questions!), we might be able to offer better advice :smile:

Probably PPE, but obviously it's only offered at Oxford. But, I might also consider SPS at Cambridge or Economics at either.
AG27
Probably PPE, but obviously it's only offered at Oxford. But, I might also consider SPS at Cambridge or Economics at either.

Have you posted in the PPE thread in the Oxford forum? Lots of the (prospective) students seem to hang out there.

Do you have a particular reason for worrying about how they look at the applications? Do you have low GCSE results/UMS marks, etc? I've no idea how similar PPE and SPS are, but I think one of the most important things is to look at the course content of both and see which one suits your interests more :smile:
AG27

You mean E&M at Oxford instead of straight Economics, because they don't offer straight Econ. That's one of the reasons why I applied to Cambridge, but I was considering PPE at Oxford for a while too.
Reply 12
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you posted in the PPE thread in the Oxford forum? Lots of the (prospective) students seem to hang out there.

Do you have a particular reason for worrying about how they look at the applications? Do you have low GCSE results/UMS marks, etc? I've no idea how similar PPE and SPS are, but I think one of the most important things is to look at the course content of both and see which one suits your interests more :smile:

Yes, I have posted in the PPE thread and I'm doing AS and I got 5A* and 7As for GCSEs (I think that is isn't too bad, if not just tell me).
AG27
Yes, I have posted in the PPE thread and I'm doing AS and I got 5A* and 7As for GCSEs (I think that is isn't too bad, if not just tell me).

I know nothing about PPE or PPE admissions, but generally speaking, your GCSE results are good :smile:
Reply 14
To have a decent chance of getting in, would it be ideal to get over 90% in most of your modules, particularly the ones most related to your course (thats what my teachers advise).
One thing that separates the two is the importance of receiving an interview - oxford reject far more applicants pre-interview than cambridge
Reply 16
Adhavan
One thing that separates the two is the importance of receiving an interview - oxford reject far more applicants pre-interview than cambridge

On average, would you know what percentage of applicants get rejected pre-interview at both unis?
AG27
On average, would you know what percentage of applicants get rejected pre-interview at both unis?

It's something like 20% and 10% respectively. So not a huge number at either uni.
Generally Oxford interviews 80% of applicants, though this statistic is an overall one for all subjects. PPE may interview less people than that (I wouldn't know). Obviously, getting over 90% in as many subjects as possible looks good, not sure how much it would affect your chances at getting an interview though :smile:
AG27

I think cambridge interview roughly 90% of applicants but i'm not sure about oxford (other than the fact that its lower than 90% :p:)

Latest