Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the most frightening book ever written?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm very rarely frightened by books, but I found The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde really creepy.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mein Kampf?

Scary in content and scary how bad the actual writing is. Literally makes NO sense.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Shining. I had to put it in the fridge.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edgar Allan Poe's short stories. He's mental.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dracula terrified me.

Although I did read most of it in Whitby whilst staying in a hotel on the crescent Dracula visited in the book.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the bible
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rosemary's Baby and We Need to Talk About Kevin scared the **** out of me. I know Rosemary's Baby especially is considered old-fashioned now but whatever, I don't like scary babies.:no:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noujazeg)
    Rosemary's Baby and We Need to Talk About Kevin scared the **** out of me. I know Rosemary's Baby especially is considered old-fashioned now but whatever, I don't like scary babies.:no:
    What's that one about then?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Turn Of The Screw - Henry James. More eerie and spooky than downright slasher scary though.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anne Frank's diary- how could such horrors happen?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Stand by Stephen King is pretty damn scary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    666 was damn spooky! I didn't want to sleep in my room after that!

It was written by Jay Anson, the author of The Amityville Horror.

Wowzers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Whitby Witches and A Warlock In Whitby are genuinely the books that have scared me the most in my life! I was about eleven when I read them though.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    i concur.

his nose is bleeding!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    The rats scared me- I stopped reading it. Then again I was about nine/ten. My mum had said she read it and it scared her, but I ignored her :p: I stopped reading after I started to think about rats being wherever I went over a weekend at my grandparents caravan which was next to a woods.

Mainly due to the fact that in the book if you were bit you died 24 hours later
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnitJanet)
    The Whitby Witches and A Warlock In Whitby are genuinely the books that have scared me the most in my life! I was about eleven when I read them though.
    Oh god when I was 6 I got a book and tape set called Dimanche Diller in Danger. I was absolutely terrified listening to it and I think I had to switch it off... I can't remember anything else other than it really scared me. When I wasn't much older, I found one of those Horrible Science books and read a description of open heart surgery and had to shut the book in another room or throw it down the stairs or something. Somehow I don't think either of those qualify for 'the most frightening book ever written' though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Oh god when I was 6 I got a book and tape set called Dimanche Diller in Danger. I was absolutely terrified listening to it and I think I had to switch it off... I can't remember anything else other than it really scared me. When I wasn't much older, I found one of those Horrible Science books and read a description of open heart surgery and had to shut the book in another room or throw it down the stairs or something. Somehow I don't think either of those qualify for 'the most frightening book ever written' though...
    Hey wait! Those are the funny books!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Women in Black is truely chilling. Not gory, just unbelievably frightening. The play adaptation is even scarier though. Apparently it is officially the 'most frightening theatre experience in the world.' I would testify to that........
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    What's that one about then?

It's about a kid who kills his schoolmates, a teacher...except he doesn't have friends, really, he's pretty psychopathic from birth...the ending is horrific, I had to study it for my coursework sop I've read it four times now, and every time it freaked me out!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 29, 2008
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.