The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge colleges - postgraduate study

I know there have been many posts before about Oxbridge colleges from an undergraduate perspective, but I would be interested in hearing comments from a postgrad. point of view.

I have been accepted to read for a CPGS -> PhD in physics by Cambridge, and am in the process of getting a college to admit me. Clearly, I do not run the risk of not getting a place at all through poor college selection, but I can indicate a preference for up to four colleges (or, alternatively, let the university choose for me).

I would welcome any suggestions or comments on what should be my main considerations in coming up with a preference list. I live in Australia, so visiting is more-or-less out of the question, unless I discover that it is absolutely imperative that I should check it out myself.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would choose;

Trinity
Emmanuel
Clare
Christs
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Bigcnee
I would choose;

Trinity
Emmanuel
Clare
Christs

Thanks for your reply, Bigcnee... I would appreciate some insight into why you gave the list you did, though. Can I ask what criteria you consider important?

Anyone else?
Reply 3
Radagasty
I know there have been many posts before about Oxbridge colleges from an undergraduate perspective, but I would be interested in hearing comments from a postgrad. point of view.

I have been accepted to read for a CPGS -> PhD in physics by Cambridge, and am in the process of getting a college to admit me. Clearly, I do not run the risk of not getting a place at all through poor college selection, but I can indicate a preference for up to four colleges (or, alternatively, let the university choose for me).

I would welcome any suggestions or comments on what should be my main considerations in coming up with a preference list. I live in Australia, so visiting is more-or-less out of the question, unless I discover that it is absolutely imperative that I should check it out myself.

Thanks in advance.

I would choose:

Clare,
Queens,
Magdalene,
Jesus

They're all on the river and small->medium (tho Jesus is bigger).
Reply 4
DanMushMan
I would choose:

Clare,
Queens,
Magdalene,
Jesus

They're all on the river and small->medium (tho Jesus is bigger).

Thanks for your input, Dan. Do I infer from your post that size and location are two of the most important considerations? I'm afraid I really have little idea of what to look for in a college.
Reply 5
Radagasty
Thanks for your input, Dan. Do I infer from your post that size and location are two of the most important considerations? I'm afraid I really have little idea of what to look for in a college.

i suppose so, also whether they provide graduate accomodation, could be a big factor for you.
Radagasty

the colleges along the river are generally the most popular/richest/academic or so i have been lead to believe.

queens is lovely :smile:
Reply 7
Unregistered
the colleges along the river are generally the most popular/richest/academic or so i have been lead to believe.

queens is lovely :smile:

Thanks to everyone who has given his/her opinion.

Hmm... it seems that being on the river is a rather important consideration. To what extent would everyone here agree? How much do you think I would be interacting with the college? After all, don't postgrads usually get accommodation away from the college grounds itself?
Reply 8
Pembroke is nice.
Reply 9
Radagasty

Thanks in advance.

Are you male?
If you are, then I was talking to someone from Homerton yesterday. He applied because: 70% female, all rooms are ensuite and its the 2nd largest college in Cambridge. Something to think about.
Reply 10
DanMushMan
Are you male?
If you are, then I was talking to someone from Homerton yesterday. He applied because: 70% female, all rooms are ensuite and its the 2nd largest college in Cambridge. Something to think about.

But it's so far out, and I doubt it would give you the "Traditional Cambridge experience" I suppose in the end you have to balance conditions up against each other.
Reply 11
Adhsur
But it's so far out, and I doubt it would give you the "Traditional Cambridge experience" I suppose in the end you have to balance conditions up against each other.

Christ's is fantastic
Reply 12
chrisbphd
Christ's is fantastic

Everyone at Cambridge tends to love their college :smile:
Reply 13
Thanks Dan, and everyone else who replied.

I am male, but, from my ignorant perspective, I would have to agree with Adhsur that Homerton would probably not give one the traditional Cambridge experience.

I asked one of the profs here (my supervisor) who did his PhD at Cambridge, but he didn't really have much advice to give. His only recommendation was 'don't go to a new college'. He was at Emmanuel himself, but he didn't particularly recommend it one way or another.
Reply 14
Radagasty

Thanks in advance.
Reply 15
why are you not looking at the cam website?in the prospectus these issues are discussed in an objective and informative way. ultimately it all comes down to preference, but i'd recommend st johns or trinity for you: wealthy colleges, great facilities,nr city centre,best buttery(canteen) and best accom. and defo 'real cambridge'-no new fangled colleges for you my boy,that means no churchill and no fitz.and u don't want a small college ages away from centre.ie no catz (st catherines) or pembroke etc.good luck let me know how u fare
gail
why are you not looking at the cam website?in the prospectus these issues are discussed in an objective and informative way. ultimately it all comes down to preference, but i'd recommend st johns or trinity for you: wealthy colleges, great facilities,nr city centre,best buttery(canteen) and best accom. and defo 'real cambridge'-no new fangled colleges for you my boy,that means no churchill and no fitz.and u don't want a small college ages away from centre.ie no catz (st catherines) or pembroke etc.good luck let me know how u fare

how can you possibly call catz away from the centre and trinity and john 'the centre' where catz is less than 5 mins walk away, and less than 2 mins from kings? Catz would be a good college, so would Queens, not everyone wants to be totally anonymous in a large college, though it may help because there will be more postgrads there.
DanMushMan
how can you possibly call catz away from the centre and trinity and john 'the centre' where catz is less than 5 mins walk away, and less than 2 mins from kings? Catz would be a good college, so would Queens, not everyone wants to be totally anonymous in a large college, though it may help because there will be more postgrads there.

Sidney's good if you want to roll out of bed straight into Sainsbury's :biggrin:
Reply 18
Radagasty

Thanks in advance.

RADAGASTY, WELL IT'S NICE HEARING FROM YOU AND I WOULD REALLY LIKE YOU TO CHAT WITH ME. I AM A NIGERIAN AND I ALSO WANT TO HAVE MY POST GRADUATE STUDIES IN UK AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GO About it. I AM VERY SURE YOU CAN HELP SINCE WE ARE IN THE SAME FIELD OF DISCIPLINE PHYSICS. IF YOU DON'T MIND MAIL ME ON [email protected]
thanking you in anticipation
jude oscar
Reply 19
Hi! :smile:

I would go for:

Trinity (central, rich so good for funding, good cheap accommodation, biggest college)
St John's (similar though not nearly as rich as the above- probably second richest)
King's (intellectual, informal, attractive central college)
Queen's (Central, very socially active but not sure where the grad accommodation is)

-Cambridge gal

Radagasty

Thanks in advance.

Latest