The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
dbmag9
Perhaps less so in Oxbridge, but I think being easy to get along with can play a big part in the decision. A lot of universities now prefer to take in Master's applications and undergraduates from overseas, simply because they bring in money. When your interview is done by the people who are going to have to teach you for several years, coming across as unpleasant to be with will not help. In hindsight, maybe 'boring' was the wrong word, but the sentiment stands.

To reiterate my point from above: non-subject-related extracurriculars do not help because the content is useful, but they can help by showing that you are a pleasant person to be with, and that you can manage your time. Moreover, getting good results academically, and doing subject-related extracurriculars (extracurricular meaning anything outside the syllabus) are far more important.

i don't think your character, unless it affects your ability to put points across, is going to factor into the decision in the slightest. and in any case, we are talking about extracurriculars here - they will indicate character will they? might mean they have more to talk about (highly useful in the limited time you have with the tutors i'm sure). equally, it may mean they have pushy annoying parents or, indeed, it might mean nothing at all.

the oxford tutors themselves say they couldn't care less - not much more to say really.

subject-related stuff yes - demonstrates passion and dedication and all that. not the original part i was disagreeing with.
Reply 21
From the majority of posts it seems that extra-curriculars that are clearly outside the subject doesn't seem too important; however, subject related work experience surely should be helpful?
Reply 22
AG27
From the majority of posts it seems that extra-curriculars that are clearly outside the subject doesn't seem too important; however, subject related work experience surely should be helpful?

Insofar as it helps show you're interested in your chosen subject, yes. However, not having subject-related work experience isn't a problem at all (except for medics, etc.).
:upyours: I did a thread on this the other day! Have you heard of using the search function?

Btw, you need to be specfic, because non-academic, unrelated ECs; and academic, related ECs are two VERY different terms i.e.

non-academic, unrelated ECs: they don't give a damn

academic, related ECs: these show enthusiasm, passion for your subject etc and these are good.
I worried so much about my extra-curricular activities because most things I do are either compulsory or really generic (hockey, netball etc). I was freaking out for so long, thinking about picking up some new activities just so I could talk about them until I realised that it would be a better idea to spend that time on reading and working hard even more in my subjects.

At interviews this year no one who I talked to got ased about extra curricular at all, they honestly don't care.
nexttime
i don't think being 'boring' is really going to factor into their decision, do you?

When you have something as effective as the extensive oxbridge interviews to judge someone by, i don't think they have any need to take extracurriculars into account. choir or orchestra or whatever is more an indication of your parents input and your social situation over your potential to do well.

Not necessarily: my mum taught me piano until I came to Oxford and my violin lessons, orchestra membership and tour fees were all heavily subsidised :smile:
Reply 26
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not necessarily: my mum taught me piano until I came to Oxford and my violin lessons, orchestra membership and tour fees were all heavily subsidised :smile:

what i mean by parental input, really.

fact is, without encouragement from either family members or friends you are far less likely to undertake this kind of activity, and certain, if not all 'extracurriculars' are always going to be more prevalent in private schools and relatively wealthy areas - not really an indication of potential to study, would you not agree? :smile:
Not at all. This guy who has been at my school got into oxbridge and doesnt really do extra curricular activities.
nexttime
what i mean by parental input, really.

fact is, without encouragement from either family members or friends you are far less likely to undertake this kind of activity, and certain, if not all 'extracurriculars' are always going to be more prevalent in private schools and relatively wealthy areas - not really an indication of potential to study, would you not agree? :smile:

Lol, my example wasn't the kind I understood you to mean by parental input, but fair enough :smile:
Reply 29
From what I understand, they are not looking at your extra-curricular activities - but if it's academically related, then it can't hurt.

Even if it doesn't help at Oxford, doing sport, playing instrument, charity work or learning a language are all skills and valuable in themselves - not just for getting into Uni.

I think they are looking however, at you as a person - how well you can communicate - and, if they can actually bear the thought of spending an hour or so a week with you intense.

(I don't KNOW this by the way, but this is what I understand from tutors and current students)
im so academic
:upyours: I did a thread on this the other day! Have you heard of using the search function?

A tad hypocritical, considering you didn't bother to use the search function yourself (there have been hundreds of threads on this topic before, yours wasn't the first, and this guy's won't be the last)

Latest

Trending

Trending