The Student Room Group

Enzyme Buffer Solutions

Hi,

I'm trying design my Bio project at the moment. I'm going to investigate the catalase enzymes in vegetables. (These catalyse the decomposition of H2O2).
I want to keep the pH at a constant level by using a buffer soln.

Could you suggest some buffers I might use and would be available to the school? Atm I'm thinking of neutral pH, but if you could give me some buffers that I could use for acidic/basic pH's, I'd be grateful. :smile:

My Dad suggest tris with saline soln, but isn't this a strong buffer? :confused:

Anyway, Thanks :smile:

Rep Available :wink:

Avalon
acid = ethanoic acid + sodium ethanoate
alkaline = ammonia + ammonium chloride
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/buffers.html
neutral = Tris, formalin
I can't find a list of neutral ones, there don't seem to be many simple ones. hmmm
Reply 2
err... you can look up for a pH 7 buffer in a science catalogue... it appears as a yellow solution... cant remember what its called tho
Golden Maverick

neutral = Tris, formalin
I can't find a list of neutral ones, there don't seem to be many simple ones. hmmm

Are you sure it needs formalin? I thought it was just Tris dissolved on its own.... do you know anywhere I might find the concentrations for particluar concentrations?
1M is about ph 8 I think at 25C.

The site was useful, thanks.
anchemis
err... you can look up for a pH 7 buffer in a science catalogue... it appears as a yellow solution... cant remember what its called tho

Ammonia buffer possibly?
*bumps thread to top*

look at me! I want attention :biggrin:
Reply 6
hey im doin the same project n my teacher has made me use citric acid-sodium phosphate buffer solutions. no idea wt a citric acid is but if u know...u cud use it huh!! good luck neway
TakemetoAvalon
*bumps thread to top*

look at me! I want attention :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending