The Student Room Group
Reply 1
depends where you do it.

Is the short answer mine is 2 yrs and £1500 a year. Some CPEs are 3-4 grand for the year but I've seen it for more.
Reply 2
Get a TC before you start so that you don't have to pay. :smile:
Reply 3
Vitriol01
Get a TC before you start so that you don't have to pay. :smile:

Do these cover the CPE, or just the LPC? Also, when do people apply for them; I am a finalist taking a year out from the summer but would really like to do a [funded] law conversion?
Reply 4
If so you need to be applying to top firms for training contracts for law now. If you are lucky they might fund both your LPC and CPE. Depends on what qualifications you have as to what sort of firm you will be able to get into.
Reply 5
Results: AAAA A-levels, 1st in 1st year exams, hopefully 1st/2.i BA from Ox.

So how does one go about applying for TC's; just filling in application forms and sending off CV's to as many firms as possible?
Reply 6
Training contracts from the big firms are normally application forms. Target the top ones as those are most likely to fund a CPE and LPC you look like you are in a pretty good position for it.
Try to get law vacation placements too you are probably too late this year but you might be able to get one somewhere and apply on time for next year, you normally need to apply for summer vac schemes around december.
Heres some links to some good firms and advice.
http://doctorjob.com/law/areaofwork.asp
and the law society and legal 500 websites will also be useful.
Reply 7
Hi all! (my first post - woot!)

Is there a ranking for CPE providers? I've got into the College of Law at Birmingham and Birmingham Uni and am leaning towards Bham Uni due to lower costs, smaller classes and 'proper university' status.

Anyone have an opinion on the Bham Uni CPE course?
Thanks.
Reply 8
Don't know about Birmingham uni, college of law is expensive but well regarded proper uni status doesn't really matter with regard to cpe because col and bpp are the main lpc providers.

As I said don't know much about birmingham uni course so can't really say any more.
Reply 9
Thanks for the reply, I heard that the LPC is a bit of a doss done by people who already know the law and go through the motions - thus being the established LPC providers doesn't mean much in terms of ability to teach the law.

Do you think it will make any real difference if I choose U of Bham over CoL Bham?
Reply 10
I honestly dont know I doubt it really.
Apparantly the LPC really isn't a doss I've had people tell me its very hard going. You need to put the work in and spend the time even if the content itself isn't amazingly difficult.

Latest

Trending

Trending