The Student Room Group

Topic/Question in International Political Economy or IR generally

Hello,
I'm currently attending a introductary seminar to Political Science. We have to wright a 15 to 20 pages assignment about a political topic, and we are free to choose anything we are interested in. For me that would be International Relations, and International Political Economy in particular. Unfortunately the seminar didn't cover these topics at all.:s-smilie:

Now I've read quite some material about the IPE and I have to admit it's harder than I thought it would be. To my defense should be said I'm not (yet) a student of political science, but of history. I took the seminar out of curiousity, it's not part of my syllabus. Well, in other words I'm a total noob:p:

Now I want to ask you guys if someone has an idea which question(s) are suitable for a first semester assignment of max 20 pages.

greets

P.S. I hope my English is understandable:p:
JetLeechan
Hello,
I'm currently attending a introductary seminar to Political Science. We have to wright a 15 to 20 pages assignment about a political topic, and we are free to choose anything we are interested in. For me that would be International Relations, and International Political Economy in particular. Unfortunately the seminar didn't cover these topics at all.:s-smilie:

Now I've read quite some material about the IPE and I have to admit it's harder than I thought it would be. To my defense should be said I'm not (yet) a student of political science, but of history. I took the seminar out of curiousity, it's not part of my syllabus. Well, in other words I'm a total noob:p:

Now I want to ask you guys if someone has an idea which question(s) are suitable for a first semester assignment of max 20 pages.

greets

P.S. I hope my English is understandable:p:

The whole discipline of IR is pretty broad, what particular aspect of the field do you enjoy reading about?
Reply 2
Yeah I know:p: . Well, like I said, Im especially interested in the field if IPE. So far I've read a lot about theory and the process of globalization.
I found the approach of Susan Strange very interesting. But I really don't know how to derive a good, and I mean a manageable in the short time I have, question from it. It seems to me that a deep understanding of of both political science and political ecomomy is necessary to work with her "open framework".
JetLeechan
Yeah I know:p: . Well, like I said, Im especially interested in the field if IPE. So far I've read a lot about theory and the process of globalization.
I found the approach of Susan Strange very interesting. But I really don't know how to derive a good, and I mean a manageable in the short time I have, question from it. It seems to me that a deep understanding of of both political science and political ecomomy is necessary to work with her "open framework".

If you've already read a lot on globalization, then you could base you assignment on the effects or globalization or the causes of globalization. Or you could take a specific aspect of globalization and place it in context with everything else e.g. "Free trade agreements accelerated the Globalization of world politics, Discuss".
Reply 4
A good one might be whether the Bretton Woods system should be updated or not, as well as how. There's a lot of material around about that.
Yeah, if your starting off with politics then its probably better to choose a topic which has alot of literature written about it rather than going for something obscure or controversial.
Is the state of the international political economy following World War I directly responsible for the outbreak of World War II?

Latest

Trending

Trending